1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

Anyone who watches a Lars Von Trier film without knowing what they're getting into will be at best confused and at worst disappointed/outraged.

2. Philip

Philip Senior member

I thought the family was insufferable regardless of the intentionality of this. The only reason why i enjoyed it so much was because of all the literary guest appearances, and also I was damn glad Woody Allen wasn't in this one.

I actually don't like the animation for Tin Tin, Tin Tin will always be 'cartoony' for me.

3. gort

gort Senior member

I watched Harsh Times on Netflix Instant. Talk about waiting for the shit to hit the fan the whole movie. I liked it. Great performance by Christian Bale.

4. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

I watched The Tree of Life and it was definitely interesting. I don't think the average movie goer would like it but I think the SF crowd would appreciate it. Also, I've been wanting to see Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy soooooo bad but I can't find a theater in the Houston area that has it :(.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  5. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

also enjoyed this.

6. Sesame Seed

Sesame Seed Senior member

A few days back, I broke my personal record of six films in one day.

Love Me No More
    Broken Blossoms
    Japon
    Deck the Halls
    Christmas Vacation
    Bad Santa
    The Bride Wore Black

7. Knisse

Knisse Senior member

Irréversible & Fellini Eight and a half

Irréversible made my stomach turn, caution if you watch this.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  8. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

just watched "welcome to the rileys" on netflix instant. really enjoyed it. kinda wanted a hollywood ending, but i think it made for a better movie without it. was very touching imo.

9. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

saw war horse with my mom and dad on her bday. it was legit.

10. ThomSquared

ThomSquared Senior member

The Tree of Life has got to be the best film this year, fuck that film is still looming over me and I watched it a few months ago.

11. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is the shittiest movie ever.

12. Philip

Philip Senior member

Don't worry man it will be soooooo much better when he re-releases it in 3D!

13. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Temple of Doom is definitely the worst of the original trilogy, but it's still not a bad movie. In fact, I would argue that it has the best opening sequence (a good evil Asian is easy to appreciate). The dinner scene is pretty epic. At the end, the Imperial British Army comes in and makes everything all right, what's not to like?

Watched Conan O'Brien Can't Stop last night. It was decent, but definitely not worth it if you are not a Conan fan. You actually see him express real emotions and frustrations which is interesting for a change.

Saw MI IV over the break. Personally, I'll always like the original the best, but this had plenty to offer. Great action sequences and a decent enough plot. Would've liked to have seen more Luther, but I guess they want to evolve the franchise. I wouldn't be against Jeremy Renner taking the reins from Mr. Cruise either.

Took in Bridesmaids as well. Didn't live up to the hype. Too much "wink, wink, nudge, nudge, she's a loser" scenes. Reminded me of the Tobey Maguire Spiderman movies in that respect.

Also, watched Cowboys vs. Aliens (my mom really wanted to see it). What a pile of Hollywood dreck. Absolutely terrible.

Finally, I also saw Take Me Home Tonight. I thought the previews looked funny, but decided to stay away after the dreadful reviews. It's okay, but not good. Had a few good laughers. The sidekick is pretty entertaining.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  14. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

Sarah's Key - Kristen Scott Thomas in present day Paris and New York tracing second world war camp escapee

15. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

I turned it off thirty minutes in. Harrison Ford had just jumped out of a plane on an inflatable raft, which conveniently landed in a river at a speed of 10mph after falling from a 500 ft. waterfall. No injuries to the three passengers were reported, but Steven Spielberg's credibility as a director perished in the fall.

16. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

haha... I almost fell into this abyss the other night except it was my father who wanted to watch it...he loves low-grade shitty sci-fi... I refused knowing it would suck. Thanks for validating my stubborness! But we had to compromise so I watched Rise of the Planet of the Apes w/ him, which, b/c it did NOT have Mark Wahlberg I actually found ok.

now has anyone seen Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy yet? That looks like it could be great.

17. Lizard23

Lizard23 Well-Known Member

I agree. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie although it is certainly not for everyone. One of those movies you either love or hate after seeing it once and probably would not change our mind with repeat viewings.

18. maplefuturist

maplefuturist Senior member

I'm so glad I had the chance to see this in the cinema. I'd imagine it less profound watching it on DVD. You know, a criticism commonly voiced about movies in general (and TV especially) is the passivity and lack of imagination on part of the viewer. However, and admittedly this is a rare case, while watching The Tree of Life I was often reflecting on events that happened in my own childhood, and this continued after seeing the film too.

I didn't see many other new films this year, though I really liked Midnight in Paris, which shows how we often idealize the past.

I'm watching Bill Cunningham New York next.

19. Philip

Philip Senior member

The one thing I've learnt from bill Cunningham new York is he is probably either scared of dying, or scared of going to hell.

20. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

fucking great year for films. cant remember wanting to see this many movies

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011