1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Nov 29, 2010.

1. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

good points i felt like goodman's character was a caricature of the naw'leans, looowezeana male and was used heavy handededly in his scenes. i also feel like treme was a derivative of the wire. but then again wire is legendary and to compare anything to the wire is going to result in many a "losers".

in hindsight i learned a lot from the wire. thats how real it felt to me. treme focused too much on stereotypes that are portrayed in news and media and i wasnt stimulated the same way. i thing i kept comparing it to the wire and wanted it to be alike maybe but that was unrealistic. i stopped watching treme after the first season

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

[​IMG] :thumbs-up:
    :inlove::blush:

1 person likes this.
  3. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

^ this is your flick. the extended dialogue scenes remind me of waking life

@wizzeak

4. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Senior member

Always thought about that shooting concept for a movie, but you never know what can happen with people during all those years. Glad to see everything turned out okay.

1 person likes this.
  5. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Agreed. I also think it's hard not to make comparisons because a number of the actors from The Wire show up in Treme. I think they're generally very talented, but for me it undermined the whole willing-suspension-of-disbelief thing to repeatedly find myself thinking, "wait, who was she in The Wire again? The police captain's wife or the school principal?"
    That said, Wendell Pierce is awesome in both shows.

1 person likes this.
  6. wizzeak

wizzeak Senior member

Yup saw it! twice now actually. Great movie, I really connected with it on many levels.

It's pretty funny how he turned out to kind of look like Ethan Hawke as well ha

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  7. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

To whoever recommended if....

Bravo, I am seldomly impressed and tho was one of them.

Tough to not bring comparison to co. Not because the main character the same but the rebellion against institution etc is in both.

There is so much that is up for interpretation just because it was so taboo at the time.

Either way great flick end rant/

Also downloaded that movie where r.pattrenson is in a limp most of the movie? Little guilty pleasure of mine I remember it being some what dtstopian from previews

Was aboht to start Locke today as well but needed to be in a different minder am before viewing, because Tom hardy commands respect

Watched the tom cruise Emily blunt scifi "edge of tomorrow" (forgot the name)

Surprisingly very good. And I know I wanted to denounce it when it came out this spring but it was fun.

Lots of time off next week because MBA confreres are starting and I don't plan on attending.

Any must watch movies? I have had blue ruin ready to go for awhile but feel I might need to be In the mood for this one as well.

Oh hell just bring on interstellar and the new mad max

8. Nikos

Nikos Senior member

Thanks, I'll watch it. Animal Kingdom was great.

9. Nikos

Nikos Senior member

You're going to like Blue Ruin.

10. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

The Drop - Great to see Gandolfini, and Hardy was boss as always, but the movie was a bit too slow for me, and kind of unnecessarily slow. Great climax that defo required the slow buildup, but I think that had they cut out about 20 minutes it really would have been awesome. Easily could have pared down some of the tangential character building, there was more than enough imo. All around solid though and would certainly recommend it.

The Royal Tenenbaums - Superb. Quirky Wes Anderson at his best. I wonder why Hackman does not appear in any other Anderson films, he was perfect for the vibe.

1 person likes this.
  11. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Bottle Rocket is also quite good. It's not quite as quirky as some of his later stuff but it's fun to watch and see where some of his ideas came from.

12. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Good flick.

13. wojt

wojt Senior member

saw Mulholland Dr
    FINALLY

great movie, I like Lynch movies, Lost Highway is so far my fave from him

1 person likes this.
  14. BBSLM

BBSLM Senior member

Watched this last night. I liked it, and while it felt similar to The Rover, it wasn't nearly nearly on the same level.

15. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

wendell pierce is the fucking man. he appeared as a guest commentator on an anthony bourdain cnn show and was both insightful and enlightening at the same time. seems like a pretty cool dude

16. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

didnt pick up on it but yeah i see the similarity now:

[​IMG]

it been almost a week i think im ready to rewatch

i also need to watch dazed and confused for the first time. SMH

17. in stitches

Its is now the only Wes Anderson film I have not seen. Hope to watch it by weeks end, thus finalizing my Wes Anderson binge.

1 person likes this.
  18. Nikos

Nikos Senior member

Good to know, as The Rover is next.

The last one was Edge of Tomorrow, which, no matter how many times I have read this comment, was still better than I expected.

19. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I agree. I expected not to like it, but I actually did.

If you enjoyed the time/repeat plot device check out Run Lola Run from a decade ago, or Kieslowski's Blind Chance from the '80s.

20. in stitches

I own Run Lola Run on DVD, was a gift, still havent watched it.