1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

+1. "Nil by Mouth" was excellent, but also harrowing. Quite an emotionally draining film to watch.

2. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

Watching inception for the umpteenth time and I don't care. Reminds me of being told I look like "the guy from great gatsby" by 4 homeless people yesterday.

That makes a crack head/chick at the ice cream stand/pack of homeless people all in the last 3 months. Idk If I should feel good about myself or start to question why 2 of those groups would know what Leo looks like/have the money to go see his movies.

Also watched the way way back...I think that's what it was called. Comin of age flick with Steve carrel as the step father. This resonated with me on so many levels because I grew up summering where the movie takes place.

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  3. wizzeak

wizzeak Senior member

man I hate it when you can't decide what to watch and end up not watching anything haha.

4. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

re-watched kill bill volumes 1 and 2 over the weekend. man i love those films, so much fun.

1 person likes this.
  5. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

[​IMG]

Bizarre, dystopian choo choo ride with nice cast.

6. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Just caught the following on my flight home from HK:

-Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit: A prequel to the later Jack Ryan flicks. Not as good as the later ones. I would give this 2 out of 5 stars.

-American Hustle: Ok..I know this flick received all of the accolades, etc. And while it was an interesting watch, I don't get all of the hullabaloo! First, it was LONG. I fell asleep twice before I restarted the movie and watched the entire thing. And while it was nice looking at AR and JL wearing low cut dresses, outside of C Bale and A Ryan, I didn't see any amazing performances. JL was so-so at BEST(and that is pushing it.) B Cooper was ok, but nothing amazing. J Renner was solid(also nothing amazing.)

The story was interesting but I didn't finish watching the movie saying to myself.."Self, that as a damm good movie." Honestly, I give this 2 1/2 stars.

-White House Down: Basically Die Hard in the White House. I would watch DH(as a matter of fact, I own the DVD) again. While this was somewhat entertaining, I probably have no need to re-watch.

7. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Running man is such a terrible movie

8. why

why Senior member

9. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

[​IMG] 10/10
    [​IMG] 8/10
    [​IMG] 1/10
    [​IMG] 5/10

2 people like this.
  10. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Can't disagree with that summary Kaplan :nodding:

Perhaps the 5/10 is a bit high though...

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  11. wojt

wojt Senior member

I can, Aliens is 10/10 easily, close to 11

3 people like this.
  12. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Well, I'm sure there are *some* that'll disagree, like the ones that put up the $130 million budget for the Robocop remake ;-)

I was expecting worse from the reviews, and while it wasn't great, the subject matter was compelling enough to hold my interest through the uneven bits.

I can stretch it to a 9/10, but there needs to be a gap up to the perfection of Alien.

2 people like this.
  13. wojt

wojt Senior member

I'd have them other way around Aliens slightly above Alien. I think in case of these 2 it comes
    down to personal preference; which convention of alien you prefer; a thriller or an action movie.

Watched Once Upon a Time in the West; it was great. It was not The good the bad and the ugly,
    but it had so many memorable moments it was fun to watch.

14. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Well, all of my ratings are based on personal preference ;-)

As for Once Upon a Time in the West, I rate that a good deal higher than Good/Bad/Ugly. One of the films I can put on and just watch for the cinematic awesomeness of it.

Interesting that Leone - working with Bernardo Bertolucci and Dario Argento amongst others - with Once Upon a Time set out to make the definite western and (at least to me) pretty much succeeded :slayer:

15. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

havent seen this but im disappointed at this failure. nice cast and great book, why it didnt translate makes me sad

16. SchwererGustav

SchwererGustav Senior member

My latest watch:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

^ debated between that and dog day afternoon. went with later, how was falling down?

18. SchwererGustav

SchwererGustav Senior member

I'm probably paraphrasing a dozen other reviews, but it attempts to be an ode to those that feel mistreated by the system. It had some parts where I found myself empathizing with the characters, and does raise some good points about social issues. Worth a watch.

1 person likes this.
  19. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A

Cinematographic masterpiece, made me buy 19C. 6-shooter.

20. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

But no harmonica?

Btw, casting good guy Fonda as the baddie was just inspired (and took a lot of convincing).

And Leone initially wanted Clint Eastwood, Lee van Cleef and Eli Wallach as the three killers waiting for Bronson in the opening sequence. Would've been quite the shocker to see them killed off in the first 15 minutes! (Eastwood opted to get his first US lead roles instead.)