What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Nov 29, 2010.

1. upthewazzu

upthewazzu Senior member

Watched Prometheus and Bourne Legacy this past weekend. Was disappointed in both.

2. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Amadeus 10/10

Forget the cackle or the silly Constanze, the movie is a masterpiece. As for the musicology, apart from the 'poisoning', quite sound. Milos Forman is a genius.

If you love music, Mozart in particular, try watching the great F Murray explain Mozart's Partita to the dull priest. So beautifully done, I have a hard time watching it. 'like a rusty squeezebox'

As Good As it Gets 9.5/10

Superlative acting. Doesn't get much better. I don't like Helen bossy boots Hunt, but she was fantastic in this film. Both won Best Actor/Actress.

3. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Saw 80/85% of Django Unchained before I passed out due to exhaustion. It was good. Yes it was gory and perhaps over the top...it was also about a bounty hunter killing slavers so not really sure how to avoidthat.

Life of Pi a really beautiful film except for a couple scenes that seemed a bit too nice. Also, some of the acting and dialogue was a little too precocious at times. Wish I had seen it on the big screen.

Beasts of the Southern Wild. Probably my favorite film of last year now. Although one thing I don't understand was what was the point of the giant warthogs (or whatever they were)? Were tehy supposed to symbolize something?

4. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

The Queen of Versailles 8/10

Fascinating documentary on the nouveau riche, consumerism, the US financial collapse, greed, and that money does not buy class or even happiness. The couple actually come off quite sympathetically, at times. At other times, you'll shake your head at the poor taste and poorer decisions.

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

watched zero dark thirty last night. thoroughly amazing. intense from start to finish, and i thought the acting was great. would watch again.

6. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Funny, I watched it 2 nights in a row. I totally avoid any knowledge of movies going in:

I may be the only one that didn't know going in that it was about Osama, when that dude in the white SUV appeared, it was like holy shit this is about him.

7. gort

gort Senior member

Damn. I wonder what your reaction would be to a movie like the avengers. :D

I know you don't watch comic book movies

8. in stitches

i really liked that movie. #jussayin

9. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

psh its really not that good.

10. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

I finally saw No Country For Old Men. Great film.
    Mr. Moo...I mean Javier Bardem is bone chilling. I was scared and I'll probably have nightmares.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013

11. in stitches

that was one intense movie.
    --

saw life of pi with the wife last night. we both thought it was phenomenal. real great story, very well told, and the visuals and music were next level. i thnk it could have done without the religious angle, but i dont think it detracted from anything significantly.

12. Nil

Nil Senior member

For whatever reason, probably due to immaturity and incredible stupidity on my part, I've mostly avoided seeing older classics (pre-70's or so). I'm now remedying that with the first movie on my quest Paths of Glory. I watched it last night and it's quite fantastic; I was blown away by the cinematography, though not surprised considering it's Kubrick.

13. in stitches

^^ i was in that boat for a long time, until lefty, and my great uncle set me straight. my loss for waiting so long. ^^

14. Nil

Nil Senior member

Yeah, I have a lot of catching up to do.

Tonight I'm feeling something epic and am either rolling with Spartacus or Lawrence of Arabia. I've seen part of the latter film and the book is one of my favorites, so either one will do.

15. in stitches

my great uncle recently sent me LOA, i have been meaning to watch it , but have not done so yet. :forshame: