1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

I usually try to avoid 3D, but I can agree with two of those. Gravity definitely deserves to be seen in 3D on a big screen. I had to look up that last one; it wasn't what I expected, but the 3D was very well done. Didn't care much for Avatar (3D or no), but it had some great use of neon colours:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

J̶o̶h̶n̶ ̶S̶m̶i̶t̶h̶ Jake Sully was a great original character, too.

Scorsese's Hugo was pretty good in 3D and Prometheus was better in 3D than 2D (even with the stupid story, I caught it in both 3 and 2D in the cinema to compare :embar:).

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

shit, never got a chace to watch gravity 3d. pooo

3. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Parts of the story and characters may feel lacking, but visually it was definitely the wildest ride I've personally had at the cinema.

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

i heard the same. coincidentally, I felt the same way way about avatar and yet was blown away that I watched it several times in theatres.

5. wizzeak

wizzeak Senior member

About to watch Blue is the Warmest Colour... Hopefully I can stay focused. Hard to watch movies at home IMO

quick update: Good movie. Slightly underwhelmed considering the rave reviews. Enjoyed the ending.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  6. OliverGauffe

OliverGauffe Senior member

Watched "This Must Be The Place" last night with Sean Penn. Well, he didn't actually watch it with me....

I was expecting something slightly more existential... expecting a much bigger arc....the story was so slow and the dialogue so mumbly, you would expect some big philophical ideas to come in and make up for it. Only slightly achieved. Penn was great in it, but its certainly the kind of film that you wouldn't be able to get a lot of people to sit down and watch with you, and keep their interest...

7. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Gravity was basically a B movie script, but looked really good on 3D IMAX. Avatar could not be saved by 3D IMAX. A truly dreadful film.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    3 people like this.
  8. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

Now youve gone and done it...que mr. birdman to come in here and cry fowl

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  9. phoni

phoni Senior member

+1 on Avatar; not sure why everyone sung it praises... Cameron was once a visionary director but Avatar is just poor. Watched it at the cinema; not going to make the same mistake for the sequels.

10. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Well he's not entirely wrong, the script could have used some punching up, but seeing it in IMAX 3D was truly amazing.

And yeah, Avatar was just crap.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  11. wojt

wojt Senior member

I agree as well, maybe poor is not the fair word to use though. It was a good movie, but nowhere close to great imo. It used all the themes we have already seen from Cameron(if you've seen Aliens you can skip this movie lol), was very predictable too.

I have watched Riddick2013 and it didn't live up to my expectations. It was watchable but it was nowhere near the awesomeness of Pitch Black. It was the worst part so far. I liked the blonde though, yeah I enjoyed it because of the boobs.

12. John75

John75 Active Member

Noted. Normally I would have avoided it, but maybe it is Worth seeing in 3D. I don't think Avatar had any kind of life-changing characters or script, but visually it did take me to another place. Isn't that what films are for? Riding on your very own dragon through floating islands in the sky?

13. OmniscientCause

Of course avatar was predictable that script has been used at least 2 times in the last 20 or so years once with the movie of the year.

It was visually stunning which all Cameron movies are, but it didn't warrant multiple watches in theaters like some of my roommates at the time had done. I also did not see it in 3d and try to avoid 3d at all costs. It's a cheap gimmick and I wish it would go away.

I did see gravity in 3d but that's because it was the only option.

14. lefty

lefty Senior member

3D movies are failing and will slowly be phased out but for a few spectacles like Avatar and Gravity. Audiences don't want them enough to warrant the extra cost. 3D TV has been a non-starter.

lefty

15. otc

otc Senior member

Watched the cabin in the woods. Wasn't quite sure what to expect but I enjoyed it. Also, I've got the hots for the girl from House of Cards...so that was nice.

A good horror movie for someone who doesn't care for horror movies (because they usually suck, not because I am scarred) but recognizes the tropes well enough to make it funny. A nice way to make the absurd characters/situations/monsters.
    I lolled hard at the bit where the group decides to stick together, the controllers freak out and send in some gas, and then Chris Hemsworth says "Nah, We should totally split up"

Thank god for that.

16. wojt

wojt Senior member

thank god idd

17. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I like cheap horror movies. The Paranormal Activity series is a good example.

18. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

really? i mean 3D movies have been blockbuster after blockbuster. some of the top grossing movies have been 3D.

it looks like 5 out of top 10 grossing movies have been 3D

19. OmniscientCause

The tickets cost more...of course they are the highest grossing movies year after year.

Look 5 years ago when tickets were at most 9-12 bucks now those same tickets are 18...

20. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

yeah but less people are buying those tickets... just because you charge more doesn't mean you're going to make more