1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

I rewatched A Boy and His Dog recently. It holds up, it's brilliant.

2. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

That and Tank Girl make for a cool double feature.

lefty

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
    2 people like this.
  3. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

Lefty, Brazil again? I still need to watch this movie

4. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

I hope you mean original Death Race! Original was entertaining, remake was at best watchable. Still have to see more than a half of this list :/

5. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Was Brazil mentioned before? It's Gilliam's masterwork. Make sure you get the right version and big screen it if you can.

Death Race 2000 not Death Race. I was quite disappointed when 2000 rolled around and we still couldn't run over pedestrians. Would have come in handy in SanFo.

lefty

1 person likes this.
  6. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Indeed.

Loved Rollerball as a kid.

7. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

8. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Well-Known Member

I've seen it a handful of times either way. And this will watched on a 15.5 inch screen over 18 hours of bus rides in 72 hours because I was too cheap to shell out 500+ bones on plane tickets to and from dc on school vacation weekend apparently.

9. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

I never understood watching movies on a tiny computer screen while travelling. Why not just read a book?

lefty

1 person likes this.
  10. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

11. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

well? thoughts?

nope. it is awesome.

12. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

I found it very entertaining and it made me want to check out the Wes A movies I've missed. Great characters and many great cameos.

Some time ago there was a montage posted ITT, showing WA's very center focused composition, and it's very noticeable in this movie. To the extent that the very few scenes that aren't build like that feel slightly off. Apparently he animated pretty much the entire deal before actual shooting, taking storyboarding a step further.

The next bit isn't a story spoiler, but it's spoliered anyway for those who want to pick small, technical surprises up on their own (I guess it requires that you haven't read too much about the movie before hand, but as I hadn't, it was something I enjoyed suddenly noticing).

A bit into the movie I started checking the screen, to check if the cinema had drawn the curtains all the way to the side, as the image was nearly square. Strange thing was that I was pretty sure that the image had looked normal at the film's start. The curtains were fine and it didn't take long to see that a lot of the scenes were specifically composed with this ratio in mind; I can't remember ever seeing this ratio in the cinema, it looked nearly like an old 4:3 CRT screen, but as mentioned the scenes were composed to match it, taking advantage of the added height. Good stuff.

When I got home I looked up 'Grand Budapest + ratio' and found that this of course had been mentioned several places and that the changes in aspect ratio were very thought out (more here). Interesting to see some conventions challenged.

As for the ending of BoE I'm afraid I have to agree with heisatlas. While BoE definitely is the weakest of the 4 movies I put on that list, I was pretty entertained up until the ending. The whole bit about Eli carrying and protecting his 'treasure' for what I believe was supposed to be decades, having Big Drama in Oldman Town, just to have the big solution/redemption merely be a convenient short stroll outside the town just smacks too much of 'Alright, let's wrap this up, it's getting dark!' :)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  13. in stitches

good info on GBH, look forward to seeing it.

BoE

DUDE HE WAS BLIND THAT WAS THE MOST AWESOME THING EVAR!!!!!

14. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  15. in stitches

lol that was uploaded by The Baltimore Movie Trailer Park.

16. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Not as awesome as the original, but I found it better than what I'd expected from the reviews. A rather faithful remake of Oldeuboi, even though it failed to use it's live octopus to similar effect.

Sharlto Copley is such a chameleon: Great in District 9, only redeeming feature in Elysium, and here he's channeling Roger Rees as the Sheriff of Rottingham in Men in Tights :D

[​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

I thought the remake was kind of crap.

18. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

Not saying it was great, just that I expected worse. What really was crap though, was this one:

[​IMG]

How something that bad could attract Aaron Eckhart, Bill Nighy & Miranda Otto is baffling. Even Jai Courtney and the voice of Miranda from ME 2&3 deserved better. A well earned RT rating of 4%.

Spanish poster was ok, though:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  19. Big Pun

Big Pun Well-Known Member

Trash Humpers, wtf did I watch. Similar to Gummo but was 5% as interesting.

Winter's Bone, very good portrayal of isolated white trash Americans.

Little Otik, pretty funny overall in a weird way

20. phoni

phoni Well-Known Member

Once upon a time I thought Miike's Ichi the Killer was extreme in its ultra-graphic depiction of violence. Later I thought The Raid was pushing the envelope in portraying violence on the big screen.

After watching The Raid 2: Berandal it has become crystal clear that I was nothing but a child, and knew nothing of the real world.

I've seen all kinds of action films, from Shaw Bros golden era, Peckinpah's extravaganza, the Shogun Assassin series, the slasher/exploitation films of the 70s, the over-the-top 80s action wave, Jackie Chan's breath-taking coreography, John Woo's 90s squib fests, Japan's bizzare offerings...

Nothing prepared me for this film though; 150 minutes of carnage... Just when you thought there's no way things can get more graphic, in comes a scene that surpasses the previous ones...

It's not the best coreography but combined with the raw violence, tremenduos performers, (some) iconic character design, balletic camera movement and clear, coherent editing, the action scenes must be experienced on a big screen. In 30 years of going to the cinema I don't remember hearing so many gasps from an audience. It's just a 2 and a half hours crescendo of blood, broken bones and severed arteries...

One caveat, the story is bad; in comparison the first Raid is the freakin' Godfather. I really hope that whatever Gareth Evans directs next (Netflix, bring him in for an 18-rated Heroes for Hire mini-series!) he's smart enough to get someone else to write the story.