1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Nov 29, 2010.

1. billsayers

billsayers Senior member

Saw two movies this weekend and thoroughly enjoyed them both.

- Inside Llewyn Davis - biting dark humor, bit difficult to watch at times but well-paced and the folk music used throughout the movie were enjoyable

- Blue Is the Warmest Colour - beautiful but heartbreaking portrayal of young love, a wonderful character study and the cinematography was amazing

2. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Watched the following on the flight(s) during my recent trip to SE Asia:

-12 Years a Slave: Good flick. Good story.

-Dallas Buyers Club: I probably liked this the most. Well deserved awards.

-Inside Llewyn Davis: Not bad. Dragged at times. I liked the NYC "base" during the 60's. Ending was just..eh.

-Captain Phillips: Not bad. I also saw "A Hijacking" on Netflix prior to my trip so I had that in my mind as I watched.

-All is Lost: Fell asleep on this one.

-Gravity: Watchable. Nothing really special IMO.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  3. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

watched thor dark world last night. fun flick.

1 person likes this.
  4. phoni

phoni Senior member

Just back from a late showing of Enemy; interesting film, provoked very different reactions from my mates ('What the...?' 'But...but...' 'Wow, that was gutsy').

Decent to good performances, very slow pace (which I don't mind, but one of my friends was quite pissed off with) and a story that is guaranteed to provoke (possibly lengthy) discussions. I'm considering getting the book out from the library.

5. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Rewatched Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones last night. It is not in any way a good movie but the last twenty minutes are awesome, worth it for that alone.

6. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Watched this yesterday. Old school Diane K and Liam N. Flick was ok.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. in stitches

i tried watching thelma and louise, made it halfway through.

1 person likes this.
  8. OliverGauffe

OliverGauffe Senior member

Watched Little Odessa last night... I got annoyed with it about halfway through, but kept watching anyway. Afterwards there was a documentary about the film, and I guess it was ok...but the director and the actors all talking about the filming, they just all sounded to freaking pretentious... The film is decent, but the most impressive part about it for me is Tim Roth---he pulls off a VERY GOOD New York accent, even though he's British. Edward Furlong does his "distant" look throughout the entire film, and everyone is sad and shitty. Not a picker-upper.

9. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I just watched "Rush", the story of the rivalry between Niki Lauda and James Hunt and the struggle for the Formula 1 world championship in 1976.

It was thoroughly enjoyable. The racing scenes were great and the cars both looked and sounded extremely realistic. The acting was also very good and Daniel Bruhl was the spitting image of Niki Lauda.

Highly recommended to any racing fans.

10. in stitches

it was an excellent movie, i loved it. great characters.

11. SixOhNine

SixOhNine Senior member

They actually used historic F1 cars; which makes it even cooler, right?
    http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130924/f1/130929926

12. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

It certainly does - I did wonder if the Tyrrell six-wheeler was the real thing or a replica and the other cars looked very genuine, too.

Apart from the racing scenes, I think that the scene that I enjoyed the most was when Lauda was hitching a lift with his future wife through the Italian countryside, and her Peugeot broke down and they got a lift from two F1-mad Italians who didn't care about the attractive lady but who were absolutely crazy about the fact that Niki Lauda (NIKA LAUDA!!!) was in their car. I hope that part of the story was true, as it was lovely.

1 person likes this.
  13. in stitches

i liked how i went from hating niki to loving him and respecting him. total tool bag, but a good guy.

14. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. lefty

lefty Senior member

I married my wife because she talked to me like Nora Charles.

lefty

4 people like this.
  16. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

I hope she doesn't think you spend too much time on SF. Because I'm prepared to do my best Nick Charles impersonation; I was practically born an alcoholic.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  17. SixOhNine

SixOhNine Senior member

Same here. Loved that whole scene, from him telling her how his ass is a genius to when he finally calculates that the potential rewards of driving the borrowed car like an F1 driver outweighed the risk.

18. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Yes - "God gave me an OK mind, but a really good ass, which can feel everything in a car."

19. FabianStummer

FabianStummer New Member

Several Peter O'Toole movies (15 at this time)

20. wojt

wojt Senior member

7th seal

I really liked this movie. It would be better if they left out the conclusion of blacksmith's story out. He should have just stayed in the tavern, it was annoying distraction that was subpar to the rest of the story. It took away from the squire whose insight was actually worth a damn and he was less visible in the 2nd half of the movie.
    It gets 8wojts out of 10. Would get 7,5 but wojts only come in natural numbers.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    2 people like this.