1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Just saw Springbreakers. Pretty interesting movie.

2. seeldoger47

seeldoger47 Senior member

3. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Week-end is one of the handful of Godard films that I wholeheartedly enjoy. I will always watch his movies but most of them are always on the edge of being brilliant and irritating. But Breathless, Band of Outsiders and Week-end are always a pleasure to watch.

4. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Mud is a better movie than I expected. Recommended.

True Romance meets Stand By Me. But its better than that trite cross reference implies.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  5. seeldoger47

seeldoger47 Senior member

6. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Cloud Atlas needs another viewing but I liked the idea of intertwining stories all interconnected through time.

Really liked End of Watch

7. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

Cloud Atlas was excellent.

8. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

both my wife and i loved cloud atlas.
    --

just saw elysium. reviews were pretty good, but i was underwhelmed. too many long pointless dragging sections (inb4penisjoke). a few decent fight scenes, story was fairly predictable tho. not horrible, but would not recommend paying to watch it.

1 person likes this.
  9. OliverGauffe

OliverGauffe Senior member

I will have to check out Cloud Atlas. I have been streaming a lot of movies lately from a great website, but they only have "wierd" movies... watched The Hangover III on it, nowhere near as funny as the first two, as these types of movies often aren't. Watched a super wierd film called "I can do bad all by myself"... black family drama that watched more like a sad reality soap opera... Anyway... megashare.info, not a bad movie site.

10. epb

epb Senior member

Off to check out The Family today. I'm hoping to like it better than Riddick, which was somewhat disappointing; they tried to capture the spirit of Pitch Black by making a re-make of Pitch Black. Some friends want to head out tomorrow night to see At World's End.

11. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

liked Zero Dark Thirty

and I'm a softy so i enjoyed The Words

12. Nikos

Nikos Senior member

Watched Now you see me. It was disappointing.

For something completely different, I'll watch this today.

[​IMG]

I love this woman.

13. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

14. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

8/10
    Jules and Jim
    American Beauty

7/10
    Meet John Doe
    The Man who would be King
    The Lives of Others
    The Gunfighter

15. mrcmcklwht

mrcmcklwht Senior member

Me too (wont spoiler picture)! Love that movie, seen it like ten times

1 person likes this.
  16. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i agree on both counts.

17. Nikos

Nikos Senior member

I watched La Notte recently and loved it. L'Avventura is next.

18. lefty

lefty Senior member

"Like Taxi Driver for nerds."

Zero Charisma

[​IMG]

lefty

19. otc

otc Senior member

That it was. Unfortunately I watched The Bling Ring last night after having seen reviewers make comparisons to Spring Breakers.

I was expecting the same sort of "not at all what the promotional materials make it out to be" effect. Where people see the ads and expect something and rate it poorly when they don't get it.

The Bling Ring, was exactly what it was marketed as...but as done by Sofia Coppola. So you really do have a movie about partying, thieving, and all around terrible people, teenagers...but it is done with all kinds of artsy shots, extended takes, and long stretches of silence. So you do get shots of Emma Watson grinding up on other chicks in a club, but they are done sans music. Some of the scenes were well executed, like one of the robberies where it is one of those LA glass houses and the entire scene is a single (maybe silent) take from a hill; the whole house is in the frame and you just see lights turning on and off and people rummaging around between rooms.

Overall though, it was just terrible. There were zero meaningful interactions between characters. I'm sure she wanted to show how self absorbed all of these people were, but it makes the movie terrible to watch. Not sure where the comparisons to Spring Breakers come (other than the partying and a scene with a crazy girl behaving poorly with a found firearm)...I was expecting something like a first-act filled with theiving and partying that fits the trailers followed by a movie consisting of these people's relationships getting screwed up by their behavior and their lives getting screwed up by their greed.

4/10...maybe....and only because there were some cool shots and I think Emma Watson is super hot.

1 person likes this.
  20. OliverGauffe

OliverGauffe Senior member

Had basically the same feeling about Bling Ring. The company I work for sponsored the movie in Italy, so I felt some kind of interest in seeing it... and was utterly disappointed as well. I also expected there to be more character development and a "crash and burn" effect during the second half. Maybe that didn't happen because this is based on a true story. This is how it actually went down. And the most disturbing part was when the girl interviews at the end: she was the ringleader, but also the ultimate manipulator, and we only start to realize to what point she is evil in the last few seconds of the movie. It left me feeling empty.

Spring Breakers, on the other hand, is one I've been avoiding, not even watching when there's nothing else. Now, based on your comment... maybe I will watch it after all.