1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Nov 29, 2010.

1. otc

otc Senior member

Watched Spring Breakers this past weekend.

It was pretty ridonkulous.

I checked a theatrical trailer and it hinted at the dark side, but all of the promotional materials I ever saw for the film made it look like "woooo disney girls go and have awesome fun at the beach". Makes it easy to see why it was so poorly received by viewers who went in thinking they were about to get something different. It was something like 65% from critics and 45% from viewers on rotten tomatoes...usually those things go the other way and the popcorn slingers love everything.

Had its fair share of boobs and party and sex scenes in the first act, but once James Franco got involved, it got pretty damn dark.

2. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

Gummo is one of my favorites so I think I should check SB out.^

3. otc

otc Senior member

I'd probably give it a B. Was entertaining and didn't make me feel like I wasted my time, but it wasn't quite 100%.

I think the movie would have done better if it didn't have disney-channel starlets in it, but it sounds like it was pretty intentional on the director's part (had also tried to cast Emma Roberts ). I didn't even realize Vanessa Hudgens was in it until halfway through the movie, but I think that having her and Selena Gomez on the billing brought in audience members who were not prepared for what they were about to see.

I've never seen anything else by Harmony Korine, but I assume that if you knew this was his last movie before Spring Breakers, you would have known something was wrong when the advertisements promised Sunny Fun Party Time:
    [​IMG]

4. Jerome

Jerome Senior member

I have been re watching The Ninth Gate recently. It was still very good.

Also Ocean's 11. Julia Roberts was still very common.

5. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

^ I like The Ninth Gate too.

Rewatched this [​IMG]. Better the second time around, when you know what to expect from the pace, lack of hand holding, etc. Some nicely shot scenes and some clever bits (like Smiley getting new and different glasses, giving you a nice visual cue to help identify the flashbacks). Still not as engaging and suspenseful as I would've liked, but I did enjoy the mood and cinematography, plus I like this kind of 'period piece'. Great cast too.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  6. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Ninth Gate is great until the last 5 minutes.

7. wizzeak

wizzeak Senior member

The World's End

movie was so damn good.

8. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Au Hasard Balthazar. I didn't think I would be able to sit through this but it was surprisingly engaging. A description of the plot sounds a bit trite but it's very moving. A testament to the director, particularly since so much of it involves making the viewer feel empathy, not just sympathy, with an animal.

1 person likes this.
  9. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Now I'm watching San Soleil. Honestly Hulu Plus is worth it just for the Criterion Collection. I think they have the entire collection on here.

10. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

I've decided I'm going to watch all of the Criterion films that are on Hulu. At least I am going to start them, as some of them I probably can't finish. I'm going backwards through the alphabet.

Last night I watched:

Zero Por Conduite - Amazing movie, really. I had seen l'Atalante before, so I was sold on Jean Vigo, but this really was better. In fact, I think I might watch it again soon as it is short and very entertaining.

Zorn's Lemma - made it about 5 minutes. Not going to sit through an hour of someone's "experiment" where they flash letters on the screen.

Zero Focus - Very much like a Japanese Hitchcock. Not quite as good as that suggests. Like a lot of Japanese dramas from the 60s it's talky and its low budget works against it. It's not bad, just not that special.

11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

12. seeldoger47

seeldoger47 Senior member

13. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Apocalypse Now is a great movie. Except for Lee Ermey, FMJ is crap.

14. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

idk, man. i liked em both quite a bit.

15. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

I agree with a lot of what you say, especially the last part, but I'm glad you weren't directing the movie, such an unambiguous ending would have been horrible.

And put yourself in the characters shoes, shooting a 12 year old girl no matter if she was the enemy or not is I'm sure not something that you could do without reservation, well I hope not anyway.

16. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i hope not as well.

fair point about adding ambiguity, i hear that.

17. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

What films are essential Werner Herzog? If such a thing exists. I feel like I have experienced most major filmmakers besides him.

18. Nikos

Nikos Senior member

I'll watch it one of these days. What did you think?

19. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

[​IMG]

awesome and crazy Yakuza film by Seijun Suzuki. not quite as awesome or crazy as Branded to Kill, but very enjoyable nonetheless

[​IMG]

Interesting, very sad story. The whole anti-bullying thing has become very silly lately but this is from the 60s and recalls a time when some pretty cruel treatment was dismissed as "boys being boys". The movie is smart to focus on a witness to the treatment, and not the victim.

You Were Like a Wild Crysanthemum

Pretty but difficult to sit through, like a lot of old Japanese movies.

1 person likes this.
  20. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Just watched Modern Times with my daughter. She loved it. Once again, just proves how timeless some of these movies are.

1 person likes this.