1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Nov 29, 2010.

1. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i really want to see ZDT. i hope i get to catch it in theaters.

2. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Dude, its dramatized so yes, I should have put "journalism" in quotes. but, considering they came by the story through extensive collaboration of sources within the CIA and then tried to present a "factual" story, yes I'd call it "journalism". Would I cite it and reference for other work moving forward no but there's little doubt that it is pretty accurate as to what happened.

3. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Well, the issue is that the info gained from torture was often false or misleading and, per the people cited, not pivotal to finding Osama - so it is fairly inaccurate, hence my issue with the "journalism" tag. I could handle it being over dramatized, but Bigelow running around saying it is a piece of journalism when she knows it contains pro-torture falsehoods is what I take issue with and find fairly immoral.

4. edinatlanta

:facepalm:

5. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

This is 40

7/10

Lots of varied reviews about this one.

I like just about anything Apatow does and everything Paul Rudd does. And, Rudd is very funny and not cloying when the going gets rough. This script covers the emotions from A to Z.

As usual, Apatow uses his kids. They're both very good.

Now, to Apatow's Mrs! I'm not sure if Leslie Mann is an unpleasant, whiny bitch, or she is fabulously hot in a screwed up way. In any case, here, she gets the anxiety and misses much of the charm. She's just too much trouble to be married to. At least on her latest screen attempt.

If you're an Apatow fan, you'll stick with it and its long running time. If not, you'll mentally divorce Mann before the first act is done.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  6. in stitches

i quite enjoyed it. agree with much of your sentiment, though id give it an 8.

7. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Look, you said it was accurate, the CIA said it wasn't. I think I'll believe the CIA.

8. hennree

hennree Senior member

^ What was it like?

A typical Denzel Washington film or something more?

9. in stitches

it was pretty good actually, imo. not amazing, but a good enough watch. opening scene and crash sequence were great.

10. edinatlanta

You are stuck on one aspect that was not a key theme of the movie. Had they spent time directly unpacking the issue of torture it would have muddied the movie and made an already very long movie much longer.

If they don't use torture as the causality for one piece of evidence then there is far less dramatic interest from the start, a frighteningly substantial part of the GWOT is not part of the movie and they then can't directly address the fundamental shift in the GWOT once Obama comes into office. (I mean, FFS, Maya CLEARLY shows her ambivalence to the use of "extraordinary rendition" and a few of the allusions later in the movie show it wasn't a good thing).

So yeah, if you're still hung up on the efficacy of torture in the real world (which is likely minimal) as opposed to the way it was used to advance the plot, was not at all a major theme of the movie and ignores that every other event was about as accurate as we will know...fine.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  11. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

12. in stitches

well, did you like it?

13. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

Not the best movie. Would give it 5/10. I think the acting is little I don't know ''childish'' b-level.

14. in stitches

15. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

There are good actors in it, but they are not made for that movie.

16. hennree

hennree Senior member

I've heard bad things about Zero Dark Thirty. Will give it a watch. I hear its pretty poor apart from the end scene which is quite well done apparently.

17. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Ed only said it was accurate because he was being tortured, so the reliability of the information may be suspect.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
    2 people like this.
  18. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

All I can say it's a OK movie to see, waste some time not boring either. But the acting is bad (not all the time) and yeah the ending scene is horrible. You well quit feel ''was it only this?''
    And note the movie is 2h 30 min and it comes down to NOTHING.

19. edinatlanta

Thank you for capturing the genius of spallcamica.

20. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Senior member

Tried watching Equilibrium since most everyone thought I would enjoy since I always say I enjoy Sci-Fi movies.

Stopped watching 15 minutes into it.... It is crap unoriginal mish mash of Sci fi.

1 person likes this.