1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Nov 29, 2010.

1. why

why Senior member

No, I think it was his only decent movie (if it could be called 'his') and it would've been better without his interjections of random sex and violence that add absolutely nothing to the plot or style of the movie. In fact, they're completely at odds with it.

And +1 to what Pennglock said about Tarantino's 'dialogue'. It's just nonsensical banter -- the musings of a know-nothing -- a stream of consciousness of an unconscious writer. If it weren't coming from someone's mouth on screen it wouldn't ever be mistaken for actual dialogue. But his kind of nonsense is now regarded as some kind of standard for writing by audiences that have never read or heard anything better and can't distinguish the good from the bad anyway. It stands out as different from the usual Hollywood scripts and simply for that such people regard it as superior.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  2. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

Upside down sucked big time. 2/10

3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

If QT didn't make big grossing, big budget films he'd probably be regarded a bit differently. I think he is grouped in with the big budget clown car super hero films and its undeserved. I do wish he'd try a film without any violence. Lets see his range.

BTW, I hear there is a Kill Bill Vol. 3 in the works.

QT wrote True Romance, there seems to be pretty wide acclaim for that script.

4. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

He has recently said it is unlikely to happen.

5. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

just got back from jack reacher. what a good movie. the action sequences were pretty good and the
    car chase
    had a touch of realism to it.

6. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

yup, was good.

and plus one to the props for true romance.

7. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

Touching on the QT topic again:

8. lefty

lefty Senior member

Put me in the unimpressed with Tarantino category. Did like RD when I saw it at the premiere, but since then it's been one "fan boi" bullshit movie after another. To me he's the indie equivalent of Michael Bay.

Silver Linings Playbook was a lot better that I thought it would be.

lefty

9. redcaimen

redcaimen Senior member

I too would like to jump on to the Tarantino hate pile. He is a childish sadist with no depth to him at all. In his defense I dont think he has ever tried to be anything else. He makes slick cartoons for adolescent boys of all ages. :hide:

10. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

glad to hear that, i look forward to seeing it.
    ---
    after all this hate, i think i like the QT movies even more. :devil:

11. YOLO EMSHI

YOLO EMSHI Senior member

There's only one thing that I genuinely like about QT and that's his approach to narrative structure. Everything else I happen to enjoy only because I am reminded of other filmmakers.

I don't actually mind the level of violence, only that it's too cartoonish and gimmicky for me

12. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

just got back from the hobbit.. I was supposed to see it in 2d but the showing was in 3d so everyone ran back out to get the glasses. i'm glad it ended up being 3d. what an amazing movie. 10/10 for me. was better than all 3 LotR movies imo. The scene with bilbo and gollum was funny and all the characters were likable and did a great job. the necromancer left me wanting to see the 2nd movie so badly! i don't think there was a single minute that i didn't enjoy.

13. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

LA Confidential.....
    Good shit!

1 person likes this.
  14. TheDarkKnight

TheDarkKnight Senior member

Dredd 2012 - superb pulpy, ballistic film and a kick ass soundtrack. One of my favourite comic cons in a while.

Pi - just started watching Aronofsky's films again - tonight will be Requiem for a Dream (no doubt fast forwarded to the ass to ass scene)

15. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Wow. :crazy:

It sucked so bad I got in a 15 minute nap.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  16. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

i'm sorry but this is how i imagine you sitting in the theater

[​IMG]

17. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

18. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

It was worse, more like

[​IMG]

19. TheDarkKnight

TheDarkKnight Senior member

Requiem for a Dream. Terrible film and a huge misfire by Aronofsky compared to Pi, The Wrestler and Black Swan.

I just couldn't get on board with the hugely unsympathetic characters, and scratchy jumpy cinematography and alarmist story.

20. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Django...

meh... Not impressed.