1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Nov 29, 2010.

1. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence. Great film streaming on Netflix. I'd seen it before but it had been a long time and the newer print I am watching makes it look a hell of a lot better.

2. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

im not exactly sure what you mean, and to be honest, arguing over music and movies as to what is "better" is pretty much a fruitless effort, as these are both highly subjective areas.

but, continuing using these examples, when i turn on the radio and hear starships, by niki manaj, i enjoy the song. it is fun to listen to. after 1 year, what is the likelihood i will listen to it even again? slim to none, outside of a nostalgic evening on youtube with friends. what are the chances that should that happen i will actually still like the song? 50/50 at best id say, based on past experience.

why is that? i think, because much of what we enjoy for entertainment is greatly influenced by societies interests at that time. certain beats, certain song flows.... very similar to humor. many many comedies do not stand the test of time, simply because what is funny, and especially what is cool, is almost always changing.

that being said, it is very easy to understand, at least in my opinion, why one could watch a movie like taken, or taken 2, enjoy it greatly, and never have any desire to watch it again, and possibly not even like it, if re-watched. its just simple, easy, cheap, but enjoyable, fun/entertainment. but it is by no standards, great cinema that anyone would feel the need to pass on to, say, the next generation. all the cultural pretense would be lost, and it wold probably just be lame. that does not mean, that in the here and now, with that pretense built into present culture, it is lame now.

now, maybe for someone who is entirely detached from all the pretenses, and pop culture phenomena's, what they do or do not enjoy is always subject to the same set of paramaters, and good is good, and bad is bad, period. and maybe that is what separates us. but i think neither of us is right or wrong. in the end, its all about being entertained, and we all have the right to form, consciously or not, what it is that entertains us.

also, im not really "insulted" per say. maybe slightly. but i did want to engage you in conversation, and i think that to that end, i succeeded.

i dont really care what, or who, you are in real life. and if you have dandruff, you should consider a new shampoo, maybe head and shoulders, or even the prescription stuff if it is really bad. i just am not a fan of unnecessarily making derogatory comments about other posters, with no context of friendly banter. i understand though, i am in the far minority around here in that regard. after all, whats the point of the internet if you cant bitch slap the next dude, with nary a consequence.

as to whether or not my posting a lot is annoying, that is an old argument. and there are people on both sides. not too different than the split in whether or not your often negative, and stubborn attitude is annoying, or weather or not you are one one of the brightest and most intelligent posters around here. or both. either way, they are pointless arguments, each person is entitled to their opinion, and it is irrelevant to this conversation anyway.

all told, i have enjoyed, and continue to enjoy, this conversation. :)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  3. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Stitches, you should have just called him a dick.

4. in stitches

:crackup: not my steez.

also, i enjoy writing out posts like that from time to time.

5. Regg

Regg Senior member

That's a good one. Such a unique vibe

6. lefty

lefty Senior member

The first is a better movie, but the second is a hell of a lot of fun and a pretty damned good action movie. In the opinion of this ex-EFX supervisor the EFX hold up very well.

lefty

7. death shot

death shot Senior member

You chose... Wisely!

I posted that in here a while back. It has always been one of my favorite films. It has a great score as well that I was discussing with another member in the music thread about a week ago.

8. in stitches

AGREED! tho i am not currently, not was i previously, an EFX supervisor.

9. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

fresh just came on on one of the showtime channels...classic coming of age film with an urban twist.

10. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

[​IMG]

Masquerade (2012)(Korean - English Subtitles)

Excellent film about a 16th century Korean king who is poisoned and a commoner hired to play the kings double. Excellent screenplay, cinematography, acting, music and costumes. See it on the big screen if you can. (currently playing). 8.5 / 10

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

11. why

why Senior member

I've never seen a good Asian movie.

(If you feel compelled to recommend some, really make sure they aren't bad first.)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  12. b1os

b1os Senior member

Ip Man 1/2 (RT for 1, RT for 2.. I prefer the first part, but the second is fine too. Nice martial arts sequences.)
    Man from Nowhere (RT),
    Old Boy (RT) Have a look at the director.. most of his movies are rated good.
    Hero (RT)

These are the ones I can think of out of my head and that we lately talked about in this thread.

Some I haven't seen yet:
    Hard-Boiled (RT)
    Seven Samurai (RT)
    City on Fire (apparently the prototype of Reservoir Dogs.. :p (RT))

Other than that, have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinema_of_Asia#Highest-ranking_Asian_films . Lots of other apparently great movies, like Tokyo Story (RT).

13. YOLO EMSHI

YOLO EMSHI Senior member

What kind of films are you interested in? I mean you seem to hate almost everything but probs try to be specific for me

14. b1os

b1os Senior member

So.. Taken 2 disappoints pretty much every professional critic (very low ranking at RT). However, the users vote it quite high. So my guess is that it's very similar to the first part and doesn't add lots of new elements -- if any --, but it's good when you look for a simple entertaining movie.

Currently watching the first seasons of Family Guy. So no movies at the moment.
    -----
    What puzzles me is that no one watched Guard in the past few weeks that I've been reading this thread. To me one of the best movies of '11. Watched it thrice in 6 weeks.

15. YOLO EMSHI

YOLO EMSHI Senior member

I loved Guard! We need more Irish black comedies

1 person likes this.
  16. death shot

death shot Senior member

[​IMG]

17. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Just watched this the other day. been on a bit of a Japanese movie tear recently. Got Twilight Samurai queued up for this evening.

18. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Akira Kurosawa's work is pretty much cinematic bliss. Ran may be the most perfect film ever made.

1 person likes this.
  19. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

People shouldn't respond to Why.

20. death shot

death shot Senior member

Why? [​IMG]