What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Nov 29, 2010.

1. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Mysteries of Lisbon

[​IMG]

Great movie.

Its about secrets, coincidences, revenge, honor, love and family. 19th century period film set in Portugal. 4 1/2 hours, but doesn't challenge you with it. There is a ton of depth and detail as the time is needed to unravel the stories within stories within stories. Excellent cinematography and the writing too.

Its also a quirky movie. Timing is off at times, camera almost never does a closeup, long tracking shots, all very well constructed and thought through. Incredibly honest movie with its dark reality.

Gets better the more I think about it. See it.

2. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Some of the shots were leftovers. Of course, the shots with Deckard and Rachel were filmed.

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Read the book, it is amazing and things will make a lot more sense.

I saw a play last year based on "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" and there was a live naked chick in it. Score.

4. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Watched "Office Space" again the other night while it was on televesion. Very funny movie.

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i do not read, sorry.

:slayer:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  6. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Philip K. Dick -- whose last name is synonymous with penis (tee hee) -- had a lot of sexual allusions in his books, but I don't recall there being much in DADOEL. What was her character, if you remember?

(By the way, DADOEL was good, but he wrote some better books. Those interested should check out A Scanner Darkly, The Man in the High Castle, The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldrich (which is really, really weird, but I liked it), and Radio Free Albemuth. I've also heard/read really good things about Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said and VALIS.)

7. patrickBOOTH

It was the only book that I read by him. I have friends that are into him bigtime. I didn't like the scanner darkly movie, fwiw. DADOEL had some very good things going on in it, great undertones of religion and such. All in all it isn't the kind of book that I generally read.

8. in stitches

when one attends a live play, and there are naked ladies in it, is it gauche to take pics?

9. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

FTFY

10. patrickBOOTH

Yes, but not giggle and nudge your date.

11. in stitches

:slayer:

12. in stitches

i assume that is what you did.

13. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member

watched act of valor (i think that's the one with real navy seals)
    i appreciated the movie in itself.. but there's a reason why real seals don't act.

safe house: meh. i feel like recently, denzel has been playing the tragic hero role a lot.

MIB III: i thought it was the best MIB to date, but still "meh"

14. Neos

Neos Well-Known Member

MOONRISE KINGDOM and LA STRADA

15. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Plus one. I saw it, enjoyed it, but wasn't wowed or anything. Just an acceptably done movie.

Once the Germans are deserving of respect they can get it. But they're a few centuries away at best. Except the Bavarians but that's because they are Catholic.

I think they changed the marketing to a comedy because it didn't do well as a drama. Holy hell though I loved that movie. It was a very, I guess claustrophobic movie in a sense and doesn't have the type of story that will let it become GOAT but how subtly stlyistic it was, the music, hell, even Will Ferrell's comedic moments were all so exceptionally done and were nice little touches. Oh, and seeing another side of WF qua actor was incredibly refreshing and he does it so well. Like its really disappointing because Everything Must Go didn't do well financially (as well as it should have) I doubt we'll see that side of WF. Then again, how many dramatic roles has Adam Sandler appeared in....

You may have missed my other posts on this but Dolph Ludgren is....The Greatest Cultural Phenomenon of All Time.

Watched The Avengers in 3D last night. It was aight. I was laughing at all the jokes. Definitely an homage to all that makes comic books great. Fantastic visuals. Meh on the story and acting. I thought Bruce Banner was a very complex and well acted part, however.

Oh, and redheaded Scarlett Johansson is the hottest actress around. Easily.

Anyway, came home, had a couple rented DVDs. One was Watchmen and I started it but it was so scratched I couldn't get it to continually play. Liked the first 40 minutes.

Then put in Untraceable. The type of movie I love. So so so so stupid.