What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

If you're looking for action, yes. I thought BR was a much better movie, though.

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

most excellent news!

the into said los angeles 2019 :confused:

[​IMG]

as for the dramatic effect, i just found it to be dark and annoying. hard to see whats up. but you are right, it all takes place in one night. so no sun, but i still didnt enjoy that.

i am always looking for action :smarmy:

it wasnt a bad movie per-say, but i did find it tiresome, and the non stop 80s techno music in the background made me want to mute the damn thing. i was just underwhelmed. maybe i just not a big enough nerd to really appreciate it.

:(

3. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

I'd forgotten they changed the location. As for your being underwhelmed, it could also be due to all the years of hype you must have heard that nuilt it up in your head. I've been disappointed a couple of times due to anticipation.

4. in stitches

:lol: maybe so

5. death shot

death shot Senior member

Watching Trigger Man right now...

6. death shot

death shot Senior member

Movies in which Dolph Lundgren drops from the ceiling of Asian underground nightclubs, then proceeds to massacre everybody in them. Those movies are cool...

Starting at 2:40:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  7. death shot

death shot Senior member

Oh, and one more thing:

8. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

The move to LA and the nighttime setting were both meant to evoke noir films of the '40s and '50s. It's also used thematically - in the theatrical version the first time we really see the sun is at the end of the movie, when Deckard and Rachel drive off into their shared future.

9. death shot

death shot Senior member

Wow. Vangelis' score for Blade Runner is considered a masterwork of electronic scoring and sound design. He incorporated those two elements flawlessly into the foley and so beautifully that the most popular version of his score are bootlegs that don't exclude sd and foley. It is a rare example of flawless integration. It is not "80's techno music", is universally considered one of the great film scores of all time, and has overshadowed the rest of his work. It was what peaked my personal obsession with sound design.

Blade Runner Blues, man. Google it.

I had neglected to notice we have entered into detailed conversation about BR, which is my favorite movie from childhood to this day. I've read DADOES and almost every crappy aftermarket fiction, played the game, and have been a hyperactive geek regarding that film my entire life. Bring the pain.

10. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Close...the sun starts coming up and the clouds clear at the moment Roy dies. Plus, I believe the scene with D and R driving off was used only once and is understandably very unpopular.

11. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Often films grow on me a few days after watching, but not this one. In fact the opposite. Its pretty lame. And I do know about Melies mainly thru film classes and documentaries. S B Cohen was so bad as that cop that I am surprised he was not recast and his scenes re-shot.

No way, not even close.

12. death shot

death shot Senior member

Yeah. That was used in the original theatrical version, not the Director's Cut which was released much later. The narrative and several scenes (including that one) weren't originally supposed to be a part of the film, but were essentially a dumbing down for mainstream moviegoers who need everything directly explained to them. The directors cut included several deleted scenes along with an additional scene, the vision of the unicorn. It took a long time before BR was corrected back to its intended form. It was ruined by a studio that wanted a rework a film who's appeal was naturally somewhat niche to start with. In the end they sacrificed the film's integrity. They also wanted a comfortable resolution. The idea that he could be a replicant would be a turnoff for Betty and Barney who wanted a happier, more closed ending.

13. in stitches

very well, still not my steez. lol.

ima go with imhoff on this one

14. zissou

zissou Senior member

Where on Earth have you been the past 20 years and what is wrong with you?

Precisely! Only the greatest scifi movie of all time...

Speaking of Ridley Scott, I went to see Prometheus tonight. I really hadn't read much about the movie prior to seeing it...
    ...I kept thinking that there were an awful lot of similarities with Alien, and then slapped my forehead at the end when I realized it was an Alien prequel! Fucking hell. I enjoyed the movie, but it seemed like RS glued a bunch of Alien bits together to make another movie.

15. in stitches

lol, 20 years ago i was ten, my dad wouldnt let me watch such movies as alien and BR.

not to mention they were both released before i was born. i just never got around to seeing them.

until now :)