• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Watched some flicks on my flight from HK to JFK yesterday:
-My Week with Marilyn...Not bad....
-The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo....Don't see what the fuss was..movie wise and Rooney Mara wise!
-Tower Heist....eh..some parts had some funny dialogue...

The Girl...was entertaining. I left the theater feeling like I had received my money's worth.

Tower Heist...you just don't get it. You see, Eddie's swearing again (I guess his kids are old enough to hear swear words now). That means he's back to his 48 Hrs./Beverly Hills Cop heyday. What's so hard to understand about all of that. (10)

Has Eddie been washed up ever since he made Coming to America (which might be his greatest contribution to American culture)?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

How do you watch movies then?
The wife and I watched Hugo last night. It was great.

I pretty much dont watch those bullshit thrillers where the hero is so perfect and never makes a mistake, etc, and has these stupid stunts and close calls that are just ridiculous.

An example of this is the first Mission Impossible movie (think it was the first), where Tom Cruise was riding on the outside of a train in a tunnel moving like 150 mph and there was a HELICOPTER in the tunnel chasing the train and him. Then there was this moment where the blade of the chopper was like 1mm from cutting his head in half... it was just idiotic. I was taken back by how bad that was and was distracted from the rest of the film.

I can watch movies like the Bourne movies, even though Jason Bourne never makes a mistake but in general most of the stuff is within reason. When the bullshit meter hits red though I pretty much turn the movie off or if I am stuck in the theater I just take a nap.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those thrillers are actually my favorite movies. In fact, of those, I prefer the really bad ones that were made from 1990-2006. And by bad I mean, they weren't even promoted and are only recouping their money by selling the rights to various international cable networks.

That said I am started "Tactical Force" the other night and was so tired I fell asleep watching it. Going to finish tonight :slayer:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The Girl...was entertaining. I left the theater feeling like I had received my money's worth.
Tower Heist...you just don't get it. You see, Eddie's swearing again (I guess his kids are old enough to hear swear words now). That means he's back to his 48 Hrs./Beverly Hills Cop heyday. What's so hard to understand about all of that. (10)
Has Eddie been washed up ever since he made Coming to America (which might be his greatest contribution to American culture)?

I actually rather enjoyed Bowfinger. Certainly not up to his previous work but pretty good nonetheless.

Eddie was better in Coming to America but I think Trading Places is a better overall film than Coming to America.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a little embarrassed to put this out there, but Murphy was hilarious as Donkey in Shrek.

That said, I can't think of a single good live-action Eddie Murphy movie since his heyday.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

i do get it...i hope he keeps swearing....it's the movie that was just eh...funny in some parts...just not his best work.....

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I pretty much dont watch those bullshit thrillers where the hero is so perfect and never makes a mistake, etc, and has these stupid stunts and close calls that are just ridiculous.
An example of this is the first Mission Impossible movie (think it was the first), where Tom Cruise was riding on the outside of a train in a tunnel moving like 150 mph and there was a HELICOPTER in the tunnel chasing the train and him. Then there was this moment where the blade of the chopper was like 1mm from cutting his head in half... it was just idiotic. I was taken back by how bad that was and was distracted from the rest of the film.
I can watch movies like the Bourne movies, even though Jason Bourne never makes a mistake but in general most of the stuff is within reason. When the bullshit meter hits red though I pretty much turn the movie off or if I am stuck in the theater I just take a nap.

I don't really like the Bourne movies specifically because of the fight scenes where there are three cuts every second. It seems to me like a way to cover up that your actors aren't that good at acting out a fight scene. The stories and the plots are fine, however.

I actually rather enjoyed Bowfinger. Certainly not up to his previous work but pretty good nonetheless.
Eddie was better in Coming to America but I think Trading Places is a better overall film than Coming to America.

Yeah, Bowfinger isn't bad. BTW, I was told that there would be a mid-to-late week avatar migration to Ray Tango. WTF!

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't really like the Bourne movies specifically because of the fight scenes where there are three cuts every second. It seems to me like a way to cover up that your actors aren't that good at acting out a fight scene. The stories and the plots are fine, however.
Yeah, Bowfinger isn't bad. BTW, I was told that there would be a mid-to-late week avatar migration to Ray Tango. WTF!

Sorry, been busy drinking and whoring. Will get to it this afternoon, promise.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
How do you watch movies then?
The wife and I watched Hugo last night. It was great.

I'd love to see a movie with a realistic portrayal of what would happen to the helicopter if the rotor blades actually came in contact with somebody's head.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd love to see a movie with a realistic portrayal of what would happen to the helicopter if the rotor blades actually came in contact with somebody's head.

Something like that happens with an airplane propeller in Raiders of the Lost Ark. They have also happened in the end sequence in Broken Arrow (just before the dumb-ass pilot failed to realize that he couldn't fly the copter into the side of a mountain).

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I´m gonna use this long weekend to catch up on some movies I´ve bought. Last night I treated myself to some Kitano and watched "Sonatine". I love the pace of his movies and how he can keep you interested with very little dialogue.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Didnt some model chick have that happen to her recently with an airplane propeller?

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Headhunters- fantastic Coenesque thriller from Norway based on Jo Nesbo novel.
Is going to get Hollywood re-make but worth getting original. Gorgeous blonde wife of lead, who isn't an actress but a film critic in real life

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Over the past few weeks:

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy- Like others mentioned, the pace was a bit slow. I thought it was a rather unremarkable movie with very little suspense.
Castaway on the Moon- A cute Japanese movie about escaping the difficulty of life.
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo- Good, but no better than the Swedish version, except that it had more skin :happy:
A Somewhat Gentle Man- Probably the most heartwarming movie about gangsters I've ever seen. Always enjoy Stellan Skarsgard.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics