• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Side note saw Joseph Heller give a talk at Melbourne Uni in 1981 he explained how he worked out Catch 22 and advised aspiring writers to steer clear of the English department.

The adaption of a couple years back of Catch 22 is well worth watching.
I'd read the book prior to the first movie and saw both. The enhanced viewing taught me a serious lesson about picking and choosing my environment when I was going to be in a psychedelic state.

Usonian

Reaction score
Can I just throw into the tenet conversation (which I haven't seen) that Nolan has absolutely no idea how to use sound in a film? I don't loathe him fundamentally, but his command (or lack thereof) makes his films almost completely unwatchable to me. Am I the only one here?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
In the early 70s i dropped some acid by myself and the people I was with wanted to go see Catch 22 we got to the theater late and had to sit in the front row. Talk about electric kool aid acid tests particularly since I had just recently spent a year flying in helicopters in Vietnam. That'll clean the psychic tubes out
Eraserhead on acid. Big mistake.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eraserhead on acid. Big mistake.
First I went to see Eraserhead I was so stoned I couldn’t work out if it was in B&W or colour...had to leave.

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I just throw into the tenet conversation (which I haven't seen) that Nolan has absolutely no idea how to use sound in a film? I don't loathe him fundamentally, but his command (or lack thereof) makes his films almost completely unwatchable to me. Am I the only one here?

you aren’t the only one, most of my comments about tenet include some version of my opinion that the score is overwhelming and a large amount of dialogue is inaudible. Several movies have this problem but tenet is the worst offender for sure.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I always get them mixed up, but one guy made Pi, and the other Memento — both pretty good — but from there, it seems like people just decided these guys were genius auteurs, and it doesn’t matter that everything after Requiem for a Dream has been kind of ******.

Like that one big stupid action movie inside a guy’s dream — that would not pass the Pepsi Challenge. If people didn’t know the director’s name, I doubt it would be held in such medium regard.

Fifteen minutes into Tenet, it seems the trend will continue. :(

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Caught a couple of movies on an air plane
1. Coco Avant Channel- decent movie about Coco. Audrey Tatou did a pretty good job playing Coco. They both never seem to smile at all.

2. Cosmic Sin- stupid movie that put me to sleep while on the plane. Even while going through air turbulence, this movie still put me to sleep.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I got sucked into Top Gun for the zillionth time. It really is such a finely wrought piece of pop art, one that only gets better with time. It might have no equal. Every scene a perfect explosion of populist craft. Watching again, it seems not a hair is out of place (both figuratively and literally, as horny legions will attest).

So many fun facts swirling around this one: Although it cemented Kenny Loggins’ reputation as a soundtrack wizard, that honor could have gone to Bryan Adams, Corey Hart and…Toto(!), who all took a pass.

When the director screened it for his brother, Ridley Scott, the auteur looked at him with a mix of repugnance and jealousy and said, “Whelp, Tony — you’re going to make a whole lot of money.”

Later, the director took his own life.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think they might have even seen a resurgence in popularity since weezer gave into Twitter and covered Africa.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watched Tenet on Netflix and understood the story:slayer:. It helped being a Sci Fi nerd at heart with a predilection for time travel and hearing it properly :fistbump:Lost too much dialogue at the cinema as the sound was ****. This time clear as a bell. Still think it’s visually stunning.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is Tenet available on Netflix? I thought it was only available to HBO Max subscribers.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watched Tenet on Netflix and understood the story:slayer:. It helped being a Sci Fi nerd at heart with a predilection for time travel and hearing it properly :fistbump:Lost too much dialogue at the cinema as the sound was ****. This time clear as a bell. Still think it’s visually stunning.
You know how I know you're lying?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
is Tenet available on Netflix? I thought it was only available to HBO Max subscribers.

I'm in the US. Just checked. Nope.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads