What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Barcelona, yes.
    Not a fan of Last Days of Disco.

2. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

like last days of disco...

3. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

I was watching a few minutes of Minority Report today (which I think is a fantastic movie) and had the following thoughts...
    First, did Christopher Plummer really need to frame up the Tom Cruise character? I'll admit that if he had gotten away with it that the secret would have been buried for ever, but what are the chances that Cruise's character would have ever looked into the murder of the pre-cogs's mother?
    Second, isn't the whole logic behind why Tom Cruise's character located and murdered Leo Crowe a bit circular?
    I'm not some stickler that expects everything to be perfectly logical, but that seems pretty egregious, no?

4. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

^ Everything that happens after Tom Cruise's character gets caught is a dream he is living in the prison.

5. Harold falcon

That's demonstrably false. There are scenes that happen after cruise is put on ice when he is not present. You dream much of other people having conversations you're not a part of?

That whole "it's a dream thing" was made up by Spielberg Apologists who can't accept he now sucks giant dick as a director and hasn't ended a movie properly since Close Encounters.

EDIT - Actually, I'll give you 1941. Every film since then he's been a goddamned coward when it comes to ending films.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  6. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

I've actually never heard that before.

I don't agree with that at all. There are at least 3 movies since Close Encounters that have had perfectly good endings.

BTW, Harv, I love the new avatar. That line is actually the hallmark of my Sean Connery impression.

7. Harold falcon

I edited to give allowance for 1941. What are the other two?

And thanks. I love Sean Connery's accent in that film do much.

8. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

You talk about him being a coward, but it's not like the guy is out there pushing the boundaries of "film". Raiders of the Lost Ark - with the dude's face melting off, that's classic. The Last Crusade - they ride off on horse back and Sullah has that line (with his great accent) about being named after the dog. Finally, Catch Me if You Can - Leo's character finally comes to terms with the work-a-day existence finds a way to use his powers for good instead of bad.

FYI, I just finished a bottle of Chimay (blue label) in your honor. TBH, it was no different than the Trader Joe's Vintage Ale which can be had for about $4 less per bottle.

9. Harold falcon

Big skip, I respect you. And I'm drunk and about ready to walk into a show so take this for what it is.

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark. I love everything about this movie. But we are expected to accept that a man and a woman who indulge in excessive drinking and pre-marital sex are spared the wrath of god?

2. Crusaders. There could not be a happier ending to that film unless the nazis all converted to Judaism. Jones Sr. Should have died like everything father does. Instead he lives forever with his son. Oh, sorry, Sallah. You've been a big help to us but you can't join in everlasting life.

3. Yes. Crime doesn't pay. Except for the previous hundred and twenty minutes where he had sex with chicks with braces and that Alias chick for free. Thanks for moralizing. I guess I should behave myself. Thanks, Spielberg.

10. Harold falcon

And Chimay is quite good. Cheers.

See you next Wednesday.

11. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Re: Raiders - We are all in bondage to sin and cannot free ourselves, yet at the moment of truth both Dr. Jones and his lady friend sought the Lord's redemption by denying themselves the image of his presence and thus the Lord spared them.

Re: Crusaders - Doesn't the old ass knight tell them that the grail must never pass the seal as that is the price of everlasting life. Thus, Dr. Jones Jr. is able to save his father life, but the selfish and negligent actions of Ilsa cause the spell to be broken thus leaving both Dr. Jones Sr. and Jr. to be as mortal as when they arrived.

Re: Catch Me if You Can - The reality that you fail to understand is that while he was cavorting with women of low moral standing he was never fulfilled. He had to keep one-upping himself in an attempt to fulfill the void created by the experience of a broken home.

It got the job done.

12. MrG

MrG Senior member

That's funny, actually, I saw The Secret Lives of Dentists for exactly the same reason you saw Singles - Campbell Scott.

I love that scene.

There were a lot of we're-a-nobody-band-who-latches-onto-whatever-we-can scenes like that in Singles, and they were uniformly great. "Well, I don't like to reduce us to just being part of the 'Seattle Sound.' I'd like to think of us as expanding more. Like, we're huge in Europe right now. I mean, we've got records... uh, a big record just broke in Belgium."

Actually, in retrospect, Matt Dillon kind of stole that movie.

In that case, I got nothin'.

:laugh:

13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yep, Campbell Scott is what made me see The Secret Lives of Dentists as well. I hate to say it, but he doesn't really look good with a stache'.

If you like Scott you have got to see Roger Doger. It has pre-fame Jesse Eisenberg in it and post-fame Jennifer Beals. Such a great movie. Scott is the man in it.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I caught Enter The Dragon on TV this weekend. It has been years since I saw it last. Bruce Lee was the fucking man. Btw, I didn't know what Phat Guido new Bruce Lee:

[​IMG]

15. javyn

javyn Senior member

The Dentist with Corbin Bernsen

[​IMG]