• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
v1.bTsxMTIzOTEzNztqOzE4NjI1OzEyMDA7MTIwMDsxNjAw

The gorgeous Naomi Watts plays real life CIA operative Valerie Plame. Penn plays her hubby.

While she is involved in covert ops, her husband is involved in confirming if there are weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. Oh....the CIA recruited him to do a sort of down low investigation.

He returns home doubtful, but everything he reads and sees on TV says otherwise. He decides to write an op-ed piece in the NY Times calling BS on the Bush administration. Ok. No harm no foul....right?

Not when you are playing with the CIA/US Govt. They release his wife's name(of course, CIA officers don't SAY they work for the CIA) and manure hits the fan! She approaches her bosses and asks them to help out. You know the response:

tenor.gif

The press comes knocking. Her assets around the world are in jeopardy. Their marriage falls apart with all the stress!

Several good actors in this one. As stated, this was based on a true story.

I had seen it several years ago so it seemed fresh when I caught it again last night.

Solid 3.9/5. Could push that to a 4!

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Spader was ok in cronenbergs Crash too

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The gorgeous Naomi Watts
Oh yes Naomi Wats! I remember her
Kind of caught my attention as far back as in Mulholland Drive

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
image1.JPG.jpeg

This happened to pop up on my Youtube recs and I thought I would give it a go.

Hands down one of the best flicks that I have seen in a while!

The outstanding Britt Robertson plays Charlie...a 10 year old living with her cancer stricken mom(Natascha McElhone). Her mom's ex dude contracts Mr. Church(Eddie) to cook for them for appr 6 months...as that is the time frame that everyone thinks that she has to live.

Eddie is a great cook/caregiver. 6 months turns into several years and Mr. Church becomes part of the family.

It's hard not to spoil what happens going fwd...but I will just say that this flick will make you laugh and cry! Charlie grows up and Mr. Church is the one person she can always count on(I stole that from the movie poster above!)

Absolutely amazing!

4.75/5!

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This happened to pop up on my Youtube recs and I thought I would give it a go.

Hands down one of the best flicks that I have seen in a while!

Interesting - I've never even heard of it, even though it was directed by Bruce Beresford and starred Eddie Murphy!

Your precis makes it sound really good - but it wasn't too mawkish, or emotionally manipulative? That used to piss me off about a lot of Robin Williams' films. They would have been a lot better if they'd just dialled down the sentimentality and transparent emotional manipulation.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting - I've never even heard of it, even though it was directed by Bruce Beresford and starred Eddie Murphy!

Your precis makes it sound really good - but it wasn't too mawkish, or emotionally manipulative? That used to piss me off about a lot of Robin Williams' films. They would have been a lot better if they'd just dialled down the sentimentality and transparent emotional manipulation.

Give it a go and don't watch the trailer!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
p-n8xC4eoiDtJE41SgKYTTPjmAgLh21GMVwiDHElNuJRc6J-POtWZJXCADgBNWgL9k7KItoqJ65ooaeR1Iz6faRRrdz7aI3EHxDpCcwpQ6Ll3w

A small town Florida sheriff(Denzel) is banging a local woman while dealing with an impending divorce with his wife(Eva Mendes). The local woman and her husband are found dead in the rubble of their house that went kaboom one evening!

Oh....Eva's character is a homicide detective(in another jurisdiction) and she rides along to investigate.

Signs start to point to Denzel as the culprit. Then there is $400+K missing money that was seized from a fed case that Denzel was holding on to. There is goofy but smart medical examiner loyal to Denzel. There is Denzel running around in the Florida heat trying to cover his a$$...or is he?

I had seen this several times and just thought I would check it out again last night.

It starts slow, but does pick up.

Bonus for seeing Eva M in a tight skirt for a good part of the flick:

out-of-time-lg.jpg

3/5.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
p-n8xC4eoiDtJE41SgKYTTPjmAgLh21GMVwiDHElNuJRc6J-POtWZJXCADgBNWgL9k7KItoqJ65ooaeR1Iz6faRRrdz7aI3EHxDpCcwpQ6Ll3w

A small town Florida sheriff(Denzel) is banging a local woman while dealing with an impending divorce with his wife(Eva Mendes). The local woman and her husband are found dead in the rubble of their house that went kaboom one evening!

Oh....Eva's character is a homicide detective(in another jurisdiction) and she rides along to investigate.

Signs start to point to Denzel as the culprit. Then there is $400+K missing money that was seized from a fed case that Denzel was holding on to. There is goofy but smart medical examiner loyal to Denzel. There is Denzel running around in the Florida heat trying to cover his a$$...or is he?

I had seen this several times and just thought I would check it out again last night.

It starts slow, but does pick up.

Bonus for seeing Eva M in a tight skirt for a good part of the flick:

out-of-time-lg.jpg

3/5.
Is this a sequel to Training Day?

Palpatine finds Denzel on the side of the road full of Russian mob bullets and cures him with robot parts, meanwhile Eva, disgusted with her experience dating a dirty cop, becomes one and vows to change the system?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1602598635233.png
1602598694043.png

I was born in '86 and was never a cable TV watcher, so I really haven't seen a lot of movies like this. Too young to watch them when they were still relatively new rentals, and by the time I was a teenager there was too much new stuff to ever go back and watch anything besides the most notable films of the era like the breakfast club, ferris bueller, etc.

So I am sure some of it is just that I don't really get the style/pacing of the era (like the Apatow-style that prevailed in the late 2000s)...but both of these were *bad*

I'd heard occasional references to St. Elmo's Fire so when it popped up on Amazon, we gave it a go. It just had zero substance. It was like you take a 50s movie approach to romantic subplots (boy meets girl, 30 seconds of exposition-less courtship occurs, they are in love and we can return to the main story) and try to make an entire movie out of it set in a sex charged 80s bar scene. The whole thing was just utter nonsense.

About last night was better, probably owing to the David Mamet source material (but you could almost tell when they were using Mamet's dialogue vs creating their own). The core story's not bad, and many elements worked, but like so many 80s rom-coms, it just felt like it had this gigantic hole where its soul was missing.

St. Elmo's Fire: 2/5
About last night...: 3/5, but maybe only because I liked seeing all of the Chicago filming locations.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads