• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AB6038B6-99F8-4A7E-BCCA-000926C347C2.jpeg

The Bank

Australian director Robert Connolly presents David Wenham ” I hate banks.” and Anthony LaPaglia “ I wear a better suit than God.”

A tale of revenge, mathematics, chaos theory and greed.

Last edited:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IIRC, it wasn’t that good, but I’ll watch anything with Noah Taylor.

The film wasn't that great, but the book was entertaining. There was also a theatrical adaptation, which was enjoyable.

I was at the same university as John Birmingham (the author of "He Died with a Felafel...") and we knew some of the same people, although he was a few years ahead of me.

After we graduated, one of my friends worked with a person who was (loosely) featured in the book. He rode his motorcycle through the office during their end-of-year Christmas drinks function - through the front door, weaving around desks and furniture while revving the bike, out the back door and down a flight of stairs. I suspect he was somewhat inebriated at the time. Good times - life seems more serious now.

So no share houses in the US? How do uni, or college, students live cheaply? Can't you rent a room in a three- or four-bedroom house and share it with other people?

Last edited:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BBDE6C00-5C9C-407D-A664-4D806B14343E.jpeg

Watched this last night, absolutely fantastic documentary about the far too brief of a remarkable musican.:slayer::worship::worship::worship:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK. I like Australian films so I'll check it out. Go Tahs.
Have you seen The Boys and Snowtown? Both highly recomended and both very dark.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Inside Man sucked

**** you

Inside Man is almost perfect film

My wife and I frequently say “Thank you, bank robbah” to each other

Drugstore Cowboy - entertaining Trainspottingesque romp with Matt Dillon and a sexy Kelly Lynch. 7.5/10

I lived in Portland when this came out. It captured the zeitgeist of that time and place very well (and I remember that drugstore).

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have you seen The Boys and Snowtown? Both highly recomended and both very dark.
No but I will.

**** you

Inside Man is almost perfect film

My wife and I frequently say “Thank you, bank robbah” to each other

The motivation for the heist was clear(ish) but the choices made in the film are not. And making Denzel's past a big issue but ultimately meaningless was bad.

So I finished "Macbeth" yesterday because Amazon had streaming problems when I first watched it. Even by Shakespearean tragedy standards hooooooooly **** was it dark. Love really stylistic films and that was certainly iconoclastic. Fassbender made Macbeth more King Lear-like than King Lear. Really stunning stuff. What was funny is I'm pretty good at following Elizabethan English and Shakespearean verse but those Scottish brogues, man...I had to turn on subtitles.

I'd give it 4.5/5 go watch it. Epic fight scenes, stunning supernatural scenes, a more interesting way to bring Birnam Woods to Dunsinane Castle and Macbeth is a difficult role to perform well. I think Fassbender nailed it.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I finished "Macbeth" yesterday because Amazon had streaming problems when I first watched it. Even by Shakespearean tragedy standards hooooooooly **** was it dark. Love really stylistic films and that was certainly iconoclastic. Fassbender made Macbeth more King Lear-like than King Lear. Really stunning stuff. What was funny is I'm pretty good at following Elizabethan English and Shakespearean verse but those Scottish brogues, man...I had to turn on subtitles.

I'd give it 4.5/5 go watch it. Epic fight scenes, stunning supernatural scenes, a more interesting way to bring Birnam Woods to Dunsinane Castle and Macbeth is a difficult role to perform well. I think Fassbender nailed it.
Piob could've translated for you.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Piob could've translated for you.
Ach, laddie. They're sayin' ooo wee lad 'as seein' thangs nooo other laddie could see, aye? Nooone inna castle cannae staep him, man's a gooner, aye.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MV5BZTcyNjk1MjgtOWI3Mi00YzQwLWI5MTktMzY4ZmI2NDAyNzYzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjU0OTQ0OTY@._V1_SY1000_CR...jpg

Entertaining and quite thrilling movie, very good but imo not really worth 8.4 on imdb. That's what I'd give it on the first viewing though. Early me: 9, current me: 7

MV5BZTNmOWE2M2EtMmZiNS00MTRlLTg1MWYtNmExNDhhOWU0MjcyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwMzI2NzU@._V1_SY1000_CR...jpg

of the collaborations between Sternberg and Marlene Dietrich, this is deep out of history of the cinema and quite dated, but it was a good movie nonetheless. Definately attention-grabbing and immersive, beautfully shot and dresses of MD were just otherworldly, work of art really. Definitely worth watching for cinema buffs.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1596238730654.png

This might be blasphemy, but I liked this more than the original (with the caveat that I watched the workprint version of the original, so that might taint my view). It was more coherent and lighter on the sophomore dorm level philosophy (while still having something to say). I wish I saw it in theaters because it's an absolutely beautiful film.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads