• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
MV5BY2QzYTQyYzItMzAwYi00YjZlLThjNTUtNzMyMDdkYzJiNWM4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,674,1000_AL_.jpg

Solid modern adaptation of a classic, with creative pacing and storytelling that paid off well. There was some fourth wall breaking that was questionable, and a few moments where the writing was obviously Greta Gerwig's voice, but now that I've seen it, I agree that she was snubbed for a Best Director nom. She definitely deserved the nom over Scorcese, and probably Phillips and Tarantino as well.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Really? Damn. I thought her debut was a solid 90s indie, but severely overpraised because peeps are into her.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Really? Damn. I thought her debut was a solid 90s indie, but severely overpraised because peeps are into her.

Let me clarify: Is it an amazing, mind blowing film? No. Is it more interesting, coherent, and better directed than the Irishman? Yes. (And I liked the Irishman.)

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Irishman would have been better if it was set in Navi world and the large cats spoke in papyrus font.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ve seen neither. I’ve just read so much **** about people being unsatisfied with the Oscars, it’s crazy. Scarjo — bad. She said straight white women could play gay people, possibly others. Woman of color who got nominated — good, right? NO! She played a slave. That’s a *white man’s* idea of a meaty role. Etc. Superhero movies? BAD! But Joker? GOOD! But the actor who played Joker? PROBLEMATIC!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Irishman was unliked by this guy. I have been saying that I should rewatch. Just don’t want want to commit that amount of time unless I am sick in bed over the weekend and it’s raining and Youtube and Amazon are down and.......

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen neither. I’ve just read so much **** about people being unsatisfied with the Oscars, it’s crazy. Scarjo — bad. She said straight white women could play gay people, possibly others. Woman of color who got nominated — good, right? NO! She played a slave. That’s a *white man’s* idea of a meaty role. Etc. Superhero movies? BAD! But Joker? GOOD! But the actor who played Joker? PROBLEMATIC!

It definitely seems to have gotten out of hand lately. Stephen King is being flagellated on Twitter at the moment for saying that he only nominates on quality rather than diversity.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
MV5BY2QzYTQyYzItMzAwYi00YjZlLThjNTUtNzMyMDdkYzJiNWM4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,674,1000_AL_.jpg

Solid modern adaptation of a classic, with creative pacing and storytelling that paid off well. There was some fourth wall breaking that was questionable, and a few moments where the writing was obviously Greta Gerwig's voice, but now that I've seen it, I agree that she was snubbed for a Best Director nom. She definitely deserved the nom over Scorcese, and probably Phillips and Tarantino as well.
Do i want to go to see that movie frankly ?
NO

Did i want to go to the theater to see the Tarantino ?
YES

Did i want to go to a friend to watch the Scorcese on a TV (it last more than 4 hours with the Coffee breaks) ?
YES

Do i like Tarantino ?
YES

Do i like Scorsese ?
YES

Do i like Gerwig ?
WHO ?

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do i want to go to see that movie frankly ?
NO

Did i want to go to the theater to see the Tarantino ?
YES

Did i want to go to a friend to watch the Sorcese on a TV (it last more than 4 hours with the Coffee breaks) ?
YES

Do i like Tarantino ?
YES

Do i like Scorsese ?
YES

Do i like Gerwig ?
WHO ?
Very nuanced and thought out analysis. Totally no sexism in there at all. The world revolves around you.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
It's not about sexism i never heard of her and frankly that old story/tale WTF. You know what, they are trying to selling it here because there are two french actors in it FFS.
Nobody gives a s...

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Oh so you’re named for the lame ass Steve Martin remake?

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Speaking of Scorsese i watched for the second time THE DEPARTED yesterday and it's great. Enjoyed it more this time than the first (when it was released) as then i still had in my mind the original Chinese movie.

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nuanced and thought out analysis. Totally no sexism in there at all. The world revolves around you.

I know I've seen the 1994 adaptation of Little Women at some point but as far as films go it's not really my cup of tea. Have little interest in seeing the remake but I don't see how a lack of interest could be construed as sexist?

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's not about sexism i never heard of her and frankly that old story/tale WTF. You know what, they are trying to selling it here because there are two french actors in it FFS.
Nobody gives a s...
Yeah, it’s because their are two French actors in it. That’s the selling point. Not because it’s one of the most beloved American novels of all time. That can’t be it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads