• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Independence Day is the best movie named after Independence Day.

But seriously folks that movie is worth is for Jeff Goldblum and Judd Hirsch alone. The rest is meh.
The whole thing is meh, but as meh is wont to do, out-mehing any previous meh, that movie gets completely mehed to smithereens and beyond by this uber-meh ultra-nepotistic piece of complete mehrde. Very possibly the worst meh movie ever.

Last edited:

Van Veen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The whole thing is meh, but as meh is wont to do, out-mehing any previous meh, that movie gets completely mehed to smithereens and beyond by this uber-meh ultra-nepotostic piece of complete mehrde. Very possibly the worst meh movie ever.

I've never seen that one. Probably not worth it if I can't see it in IMAX.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never seen that one. Probably not worth it if I can't see it in IMAX.
Would they pay you LOTS of money to watch it, IMAX or not?
If not, avoid at all costs.
"Costs" being that it really is one of those things you "can't unsee", ever.
I'm not a violent man at all, and I wanted to smash my TV just so I could punch Jaden Smith in the face.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
*googling*
I'll save you the time.
4.8/10 IMDb (why were only 5.2/10 correct?)
11% Rotten Mehs (why were only 89% correct?)
A complete Smith family affair, a nepotistic disaster.
Junior is truly atrocious.
One hit (and this ain't it) "wonder" M. Night not giving a damn.

But, don't take it from me, take it from Variety:
"Will Smith Calls ‘After Earth’ the ‘Most Painful Failure’ of His Career"

SixOhNine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But, don't take it from me, take it from Variety:
"Will Smith Calls ‘After Earth’ the ‘Most Painful Failure’ of His Career"
Yeah, but didn't he mean "failure" as in "it really wasn't successful at the box office", as opposed to "I've never made a worse movie in my life and remember, I was in both Wild, Wild West and The Legend Of Bagger Vance"?

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but didn't he mean "failure" as in "it really wasn't successful at the box office", as opposed to "I've never made a worse movie in my life and remember, I was in both Wild, Wild West and The Legend Of Bagger Vance"?
When it comes to the Will Smith family artistry and their "mehŒuvre complète" I tend to think it's 100% both.
And probably a few other reasons as well.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
F50B9F1B-A784-4E7E-948F-68D2AF954CDE.jpeg

Watched the 1956 version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers last night. I can’t even remember the last time I saw it. Excellent film devoid of special effects and name actors, due to pre filming budget cuts. It does feature a cameo by a Sam Peckinpah. The film creeps you out with its story, acting and camera work which browed elements of 20th Century German expressionist film making to give it its edge.

Reviews of the film claimed it was either a reaction against McCarthy and the House Unamerican Committee or an anti red film. Either way its still pretty impressive in terms of both the story and its camera work,

Highly entertaining and B movie cult masterpiece.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1205942
Watched the 1956 version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers last night. I can’t even remember the last time I saw it. Excellent film devoid of special effects and name actors, due to pre filming budget cuts. It does feature a cameo by a Sam Peckinpah. The film creeps you out with its story, acting and camera work which browed elements of 20th Century German expressionist film making to give it its edge.

Reviews of the film claimed it was either a reaction against McCarthy and the House Unamerican Committee or an anti red film. Either way its still pretty impressive in terms of both the story and its camera work,

Highly entertaining and B movie cult masterpiece.

Great flick!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I caught this last night on Netflix.

What happens when 5 special forces guys get together again and try to rob/take down a S American drug lord at his home and split the $$?

Well...one comes up with a plan. He then recruits a helicopter pilot, a planner and 2 others for the job. He also has an inside woman who will help get them in/out.

Longer than your usual movie....I believe it was over 2 hours.

2.5-3/5.

noob in 89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Live Free or Die Hard. A solid but ephemeral actioner that has money and action behind it but little else. A tan but weathered John McLane emerges in a bustling metropolis completely shorn of hair and patience. A daughter with underused talent alights on the film’s opening credits, ensuring her expedient capture in the final act. Justin Long, a computer hacker, appears as the beta male sidekick, chased by a trim and tepid Timothy Olyphant. My big complaint with this one is that it feels entirely rote and unnecessary, and could have been any film other than a Die Hard.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I caught this last night on Netflix.

What happens when 5 special forces guys get together again and try to rob/take down a S American drug lord at his home and split the $$?

Well...one comes up with a plan. He then recruits a helicopter pilot, a planner and 2 others for the job. He also has an inside woman who will help get them in/out.

Longer than your usual movie....I believe it was over 2 hours.

2.5-3/5.
I watched that when it was new on NF.

I'm with you but am going to harshly knock off another 0.625 for the Affleck-smuggery, general lack of acting chemistry among the bros, and mainly the over-wrought tough-guy/sweet-guy meets hawt Latina romantic sentimental superfluousity.

2.125/5.

PS: to you, ter1413: Broadchurch S1 was indeed fantastic. I am in S2 now...meh. Do not think I will watch S3, at least not for awhile.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Live Free or Die Hard. A solid but ephemeral actioner that has money and action behind it but little else. A tan but weathered John McLane emerges in a bustling metropolis completely shorn of hair and patience. A daughter with underused talent alights on the film’s opening credits, ensuring her expedient capture in the final act. Justin Long, a computer hacker, appears as the beta male sidekick, chased by a trim and tepid Timothy Olyphant. My big complaint with this one is that it feels entirely rote and unnecessary, and could have been any film other than a Die Hard.
Holy moly, that was #4 and there are now 6 (with the upcoming "McClane") in the DH series? :crazy:

Stop the Burning Exploding Plummeting Elevator – I Want to Get Off!

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.