1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Van Veen

Van Veen Distinguished Member

I need to watch Ken Burns’ Vietnam. Have to coordinate with my wife since she wants to watch it, and we haven’t finished Civil War yet.

2. Van Veen

Caught the 2001 remaster on the last day (and last showing) possible around here.

This movie still leaves me thinking “WTF?” Every time I watch it I catch something new and wonder if it’s intentional symbolism or if I’m just being a pretentious twat.

3. ballmouse

ballmouse Distinguished Member

You're not alone; I can't stand 2001 either.

4. Blake Stitched Blues

Blake Stitched Blues Senior Member

Kubrick is really hit and miss for me. I like Paths of Glory a lot, loathe Clockwork Orange and am fairly ambivalent about most of his other work except for Barry Lyndon, which might just be my favourite film of all time.

5. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Distinguished Member

A Clockwork Orange Chellovek its a bezoomny filmdrome

Frist R rated film I saw when I was 15, when you had to 18 in Australia. Read the book, still have a copy, had the soundtrack and have the DVD not something I viddy often. It had a very interesting and distubingh impact on proles in the youth culture of Australia when it was released in 1973.

6. Van Veen

I enjoy it in a visceral level but just don’t get it on an intellectual level. (I mean, I understand it, but it is pretentious.) But a lot of the FX are laughably dated now. Without the soundtrack the movie would be nothing.

7. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Stylish Dinosaur

Man you had a great 55th birthday party!

8. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Stylish Dinosaur

Apparently despite what Vietnam says, the former Viet Cong had already been interviewed for a book about 15 years earlier that was translated into English. And, granted the reviews were from conservative writers, it doesn't actually tread new ground from that book.

So it is a good telling of the Vietnam War but it's not the groundbreaking story it claims to be.

Yes. That's definitely the point of the movie. The obelisk intentionally keeps prevents suture (what's the proper verb form here? @lefty?) with the audience. I kept haranguing my film-school professors about that specifically and they were like yeah i have no answer.

Was I discussing this with you in the Star Wars threak? They FX there are pretty dated but I dont think it matters in the context of a well-made film. Yes you say these are just a product of their time but you can still appreciate the technical challenge of the final flight scene, for example. And it still creates a beautiful picture. Even now, the Starchild is gorgeous (if people still made original live-action films it'd be gladly accepted by a filmmaker today)>

9. Van Veen

That wasn’t me. I agree there. The effects and sets obviously influenced the entire sci fi genre. But a few moments are jarring. (A few shots of the apes and the shuttle craft sequence in particular. The star gate sequence also feels very dated, maybe because it goes on so long.)

I guess we’re spoiled by (good) CGI.

10. Numbernine

Numbernine Distinguished Member

Having seen 2001 on its initial release I've always felt like the stargate sequence was an artistic device to relate public curiosity surrounding the psychedelic drug experience to the movies message vis a vis the rock and roll light show. It was 1968

11. Van Veen

[​IMG]

Surprisingly I’ve never seen this, and knew nothing about it but the obvious. It’s a little over the top. (I think it’s trying to have a tall tale vibe, but treated realistically.) It’s best not to think too hard about it and let the schmaltz wash over you.

12. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

I’ve started showing this to my two and a half year old son, and he loves it, which makes me extremely happy because I consider it one of the top twenty movies of all time.

C7298701-29F5-4CAA-AF0A-EDBEA4C1DD15.jpeg

13. beargonefishing

beargonefishing Distinguished Member

Hereditary. I have watched it twice in the last 3 days. Toni Collette is unreal, and should get an Oscar nod. Best horror movie I have seen since The Witch and We Are What We Are (both very good if you haven't seen them).

14. wojt

wojt Distinguished Member

All that I have seen so far are pretty much hit for me, in fact I enjoyed Barry Lyndon the least when I watched it. But the movie was so beautifully shot and unorthodox and more importantly I keep returning to it in my thoughts- so it left its mark on me. I love clockwork orange my top10 movie no doubt. Besides the absurdity and really graphic violence it also finds time to ridicule leftwing and rightwing notions of serving justice and treating criminals and some consideration on free will without giving any simple recipes.

15. Journeyman

Journeyman Distinguished Member

Babe is a great movie - and it's directed by the same person that did "Mad Max", too.

I almost cry every time the farmer looks down at Babe after he's herded the sheep in the competition, nods and says, "That'll do, pig. That'll do."