• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These over the last couple of weeks:

Live-And-Let-Die-Poster-04.jpg

007_man_with_the_golden_gun_UKquad2.jpg

1547374.jpg

15.jpg

- and this a few days ago:

Star_Wars_The_Last_Jedi.jpg

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
20171217071628%21Miracle_film.jpg

One of those formulaic, cliched movies that works (if you let it). Casting the right lead actor can make or break something like this, and Kurt Russell nails it.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Night Crew 2015
Night Crew POSTER-337x500.jpg

So bad it's entertaining. At least if you like a movie that turns off your brain cells for 90minutes. Its not -surprisingly outstanding- as the cover would like you to believe, its not surprisingly what you would expect out of movie like that.

Girlfriend threatened to leave if I ever make her watch anything like that.:spew:

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
large_jb5M3MUjOcsEPsi2tbGunTofAVA.jpg

Pretty fun film. Lots of nice shots and the music is great. I do think the story feels a little compacted to fit within 2 hours, specifically the climax and the resolution. But overall I enjoyed the film.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The-Family-Fang-Movie.jpg

This movie certainly was not a comedy as advertised. Still a great movie with rather undeserving low score on imdb and rotten tomatoes(well at least here critics rose up to the challenge this time!). Movie is rather dark and shows a dysfunctional family ties but does this in a rather honest not cliche way with considerations about what constitutes art somewhere in the background. Great cast and acting. It's a rather slowly paced movie but worthwhile imo.

The-Girl-with-the-Dragon-tattoo1.jpg

Great movie with solid cast. Sucks you in from the get go.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw Alien Covenant. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie despite knowing a lot could be nit picked apart. The characters were uninteresting, and David's character just seemed inconsistent with how he was in the previous movie. That said the action and atmosphere were great. It was a fun horror movie.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Kong: Skull Island

No complaints from me. As well done a popcorn flick as I’ve seen in a long time.

SW:TLJ could have taken a few notes from this.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
789B8F7D-6F8F-44BD-AD4F-94691F9207E0.jpeg

Great cast, very weird black crime comedy at its best Woody Harrelson is superb both in life and death, Frances MCDormand is a stand out and plays it in the dead pan style she played Fargo. Martin McDonagh does an excellent job with the direction, Mrs GF stated that he wrote the script with Frances McDormand in mind. Would also recommend The Guard by McDonagh as its that same irreverent black edge comedy.
Highly Recommend.

Last edited:

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wanted to see that a few weeks back.

14579134_aa.jpg

Pretty good movie. A bit of a slow burn but really like Bill Pullman here.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Over the weekend we watched Jumanji and The Shape of Water. We enjoyed them both (for different reasons, obvs).

Chouan

Reaction score
Dunkirk was fantastic. Except for the glider thing. And overuse of the nick-of-time trope.
By "the glider thing" are you referring to the out-of-fuel Spitfire? I watched it yesterday with my son and remarked to him that if my late father (ex-RAF) had seen it he would have said something like "They've discovered perpetual motion!".
Apart from that, the only actual part that I really didn't like was the grounded trawler sequence which I thought pointless.
On the other hand, there were several weaknesses in the film, the paucity of shipping for one thing, and the absence of Merchant Vessels in the rescue operation. I know that it wasn't a documentary, but it could have shown how busy the evacuation was.
The scenes in the torpedoed destroyer mess decks were nightmarish, and, probably, very realistic.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
By "the glider thing" are you referring to the out-of-fuel Spitfire? I watched it yesterday with my son and remarked to him that if my late father (ex-RAF) had seen it he would have said something like "They've discovered perpetual motion!".
Apart from that, the only actual part that I really didn't like was the grounded trawler sequence which I thought pointless.
On the other hand, there were several weaknesses in the film, the paucity of shipping for one thing, and the absence of Merchant Vessels in the rescue operation. I know that it wasn't a documentary, but it could have shown how busy the evacuation was.
The scenes in the torpedoed destroyer mess decks were nightmarish, and, probably, very realistic.

Yeah, that’s exactly what I meant. Was trying to avoid spoilers at the time.

I wish Nolan had the balls to lay off the blockbuster tropes. There still isn’t a WWII production I’ve seen that feels as realistic and honest Band of Brothers (even there are faults with both the source material and the adaptation).

Chouan

Reaction score
Yeah, that’s exactly what I meant. Was trying to avoid spoilers at the time.

I wish Nolan had the balls to lay off the blockbuster tropes. There still isn’t a WWII production I’ve seen that feels as realistic and honest Band of Brothers (even there are faults with both the source material and the adaptation).

There have been, I think, but not from the British/American viewpoint. "The Winter War" ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098437/ ) was, I thought, outstanding in many respects.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...66295616C16DFD8D1CC466295616C16DF&FORM=VRDGAR
The use of real Finnish, Red Army and Red Airforce hardware was particularly interesting.
"Days of Glory" was also interesting

Last edited:

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Haven’t seen those. Will have to seek them out.

I saw “Stalingrad” a long time ago, which IIRC was very good, but BoB is one of the few war films (used broadly) that seems uncritical. (“Balanced” might be a better word.)

Dunkirk and SPR (for example) show some of the horrors of war, but obviously come from the “these guys were heroes” angle. Whereas something like The Pacific or Das Boot or Stalingrad (once again, IIRC) come from the “war is hell” angle. (Which is partly due to the subject matter.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads