Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Nov 29, 2010.

1. otc

otc Senior member

Having had a day or two to reflect, I would really like to see it again. Although given the length...oof...

Also, there was a blown out speaker in my theater that was rattling when the bass got low...they gave us free tickets to come back, but with my luck, I'd end up in the same theater and they won't have fixed it yet. Would be nice to see it without that annoyance as it was occasionally immersion breaking.

I think I'll be more picky about the theater I see it in--at the theater I went to, the only way to guarantee the fully upgraded equipment was to see in 3D which is a hard no. The cinematographer gives his projection preferences here: https://www.rogerdeakins.com/film-talk/blade-runner-2049-2d-or-3d/

The local Arclight has some non-3D showings scheduled with Atmos sound and the widest screens...and given that they limit the number of trailers, it should make the runtime a little more manageable (my first showing had an absurd amount turning the whole thing into well over 3 hours).

2. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Senior member

Cool visuals, but I would not watch again. Just not compelling or fresh, in the sense that a good sequel advances the previous film's ideas but also has its own original merits to stand on.

And too long.

3. double00

double00 Senior member

I even think i saw the Decker character checking his watch...

4. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Wow, people seriously can't handle a 3 hour movie now? How the mighty cell phone has won.

I'd like to see the new Blade Runner, but I just can't tolerate movie theaters anymore. I'm glad something is getting made in long form, while I can't speak to it without seeing it, I read a review in passing that it's pacing was spot on.

5. otc

otc Senior member

I thought the pacing was fine and I wasn't really feeling the length.

Honestly, the only reasons I noticed were that I had read something 5 minutes before the show about it being long, some jackass in front of me kept lighting up his phone to check the time, and I really really had to pee.

But finding that much time to go to the theater and see a movie I've already seen? Oof. It's not like 9:30 showings are very attractive at that point.

6. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

The cell phone one is especially irritating, it's like watching fireflies at night. Very distracting and takes away from the experience.

7. wojt

wojt Senior member

im really curious to see that new blade runner, though i think it would be better to see the director's cut of old one before

8. otc

otc Senior member

Speaking of Ryan Gosling movies...I watched "The Nice Guys" last week.

[​IMG]

Had completely slipped under my radar, had literally never heard of it prior to last week, but it was entertaining. Nothing groundbreaking and major plot points were (intentionally) predictable, but Gosling played a good 70s scummy PI.

Action and comedy were both well done.

9. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

Maybe he was in your situation, but was using the RunPee app.

10. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

11. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Caught Jackie a week or so ago. I wasn't in love with the narrative structure, but overall it was quite good. Depressing and hard to stomach at parts.

12. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

[​IMG]

AKA The Blood of Heroes in the US. Hadn't seen this since renting it on VHS with friends in '89. Mad Max'y design, from the time when making a post apocalyptic movie often meant going into the Australian desert and slapping some tire pieces on as body armor. Script and direction by David Webb Peoples (co-writer of Blade Runner), and featuring a young Vincent Phillip D'Onofrio.

13. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

[​IMG]

Never watched this one, possibly because of the boring title. Langella and Sheen blew me away in the title roles. The rest of it, kind of mediocre. (Maybe this is because it was a play and the tacked-on stuff was unecessary.) Once again, not into the documentary-style framing. Narrative cop-out.

Gucci bit loafers are used for symbolism... though they never mention Gucci. Just "dem Italian shoes without the laces." (Gucci gets a shoutout in the credits, at least.)

14. billsayers

billsayers Senior member

Saw Baby Driver last night and enjoyed it immensely.
    The integration with the soundtrack was fun and the pacing was brisk without taking itself too seriously.