What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Nov 29, 2010.

1. suited

suited Senior member

I was extremely disappointed. If you hate characters and dialogue, then you'll love Dunkirk.

2. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Regardless, this is a nice turn of phrase...

We caught Weird Science late, late, late last night. Now that is a classic that never disappoints. It's probably right up there with Breakfast Club in terms of quotability, and the rewatch factor is off the charts.

The wardrobe is also pretty exceptional all-around, if you're into that sort of thing. With a young Robert Downey, Jr., it's also fun to pretend you're witnessing Tony Stark's early life, and the events that kickstarted his occult insights into science and technology. :p

3. mrcmcklwht

mrcmcklwht Senior member

^I listened to Jon Cryer's audiobook "So That Happened: A Memoir", it was nice, interesting to hear about the making of Pretty In Pink and a bit sad at the end when things went downhill for Charlie Sheen (who was great in Ferris apropos John Hughes).

Also known as The Australian Job, I liked this a lot
    hard-word-1.jpg
    Silly but pretty funny the-wrong-guy-movie-poster-1990-1020230404.jpg
    Good heist movie from 81 loophole blu.jpg

4. wojt

wojt Senior member

I was referred this from a friend who has also seen Double Indemnity and loved it. However this well... this movie is 10 years younger but feels 20 years older, bad acting and overly preachy the idea behind it was interesting but the execution was not top tier imo. 6/10
    [​IMG]

5. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

How to make a movie out of anything: even a mindless phone game.

Really good article in last week's nytimes magazine about I.P.-based movies. Ones such as the emoji movie and the soon to be released fruit ninja game.

Here's an interesting stat: In 1996 9 of the top 20 grossing movies were love action films based off original content. In 2017 there will be one: la la land.

6. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Dunkirk was fantastic. Except for the glider thing. And overuse of the nick-of-time trope.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017

7. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

@mrcmcklwht if you enjoyed The Hard Word check out Two Hands.

8. mrcmcklwht

mrcmcklwht Senior member

Thanks, I will. Speaking of aussie movies, I never finished Kiss or Kill 1997 (thought the actress was a bit annoying) and I didn't like Summer City 1977 much, but fun to see a very young Mel Gibson in it

9. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Senior member

I'm watching old Beverly Hills 90210 episodes. From season one, 1990. It's so bad. But I'm getting some real satisfaction from the campy teen angst. The over acted scenes. And the hair. And the clothes. And the lighting. I mean wow.

10. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

IMG_2141.JPG
    Went with Mrs GF last night to see this. Twenty years of watching on VHS cable and DVD and finally seeing it on the big screen.

Great story, great direction & cast as for the costumes JP Gaultier is wild. Totally post modern Sci Fi at its best.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 3:30 AM

11. Roy Al

Roy Al Senior member

Suburra - Stefano Sollima (2015)
    Suburra_(film)_POSTER.jpg

Young man trying to find his way up in the roman mafia and has to break rules and utilizes the possibilities he gets among other families, the church and rotten politicians.

I think Sollima has a to complicated script for this movie and he is not able to create interesting characters and the story has too many loose ends. Some really nice scenes though.

12. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Senior member

^^ Suburra was on my watch list. I gave up after a couple failed attempts. Nice to see someone here give a review, for some reason it feels like I didn't miss as much.

13. Roy Al

Roy Al Senior member

It's not a bad movie at all, and worth while, but I think the director could do with a stronger grip and a simpler story; it's like he wants to say to much. Drop the meaningless scenes with the pope, and fewer characters would make the movie tighter - and better.
    And start the action sooner: it takes almost 30 minutes before everybody is presented and the tension begins.