What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I recently saw this:

[​IMG]

I really enjoyed it, as did my wife and son and daughter.

I then realised that Netflix Australia currently has both Man of Steel and Batman -v- Superman, so I watched both of those last weekend.

I enjoyed them. I'd read some bad reviews of BvS, but it was much better than I expected - perhaps in part because I watched it with low expectations. Lex Luthor was very irritating, but then he was clearly meant to be irritating. I enjoyed Affleck's portrayal of Batman and I'm happy that they didn't really dwell on the origin story (although there may, of course, be a stand-alone Batman movie at some stage).

2. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Lowering your expectations to the point where you can enjoy BvS could be the 13th labour of Heracles.

3. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Senior member

life.jpg

Thought I'd give this a go as I'm ever on the lookout for new and interesting sci-fi. Sadly, this did not fit the bill. Typical plot points and a typical score, among other things, make it a dud. But hey, at least now I know what Rebecca Ferguson looks like in a space suit.

4. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

[​IMG]

This was fun and random movie on Netflix, glad to have watched it as I found the reveal refreshing (fooled me for sure). I should take more chances perhaps and stop judging a book by its cover. Any other films on Netflix to view?

5. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Extended version of two towers. Not as bad as fellowships extended version. I thought the elements they added or expanded from the book was the strongest part of the film. But how many closeups of a single tear unflinchingly falling down can you include?

Alien covenant yesterday. If we're going to have an alien pruequel there needs to be a violence free one (or at least little from the xenomorph) which i realize is a different story all together. But the film was too long and we had 35 minutes that didn't deepen the mythology or advance any sort of story. I think there are still many big questions that can be addressed about the alien and humans at that time and it sounds as if scott will give us several more prequels.

6. mrcmcklwht

mrcmcklwht Senior member

MV5BMTgxMzc2NTcxNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDk3OTk5._V1_.jpg
    This has only 4.2 on IMDB but I thought it was entertaining. Directed by Peter Bogdanovich, a bit screwbally
    Rainbow_Drive_1990_Film.jpg
    I enjoyed this, has a Michael Mann feel to it with music by Tangerine Dream 577.jpg
    This was nice too and is also pretty underrated on IMDB imo

7. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Senior member

8. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Haven't been able to leave the couch after a sleepless drinking peripatetic vacation...

So I've watched:

The Lobster: a science fiction love story(?) with Colin Ferrell playing someone other than his usual character. The kind of movie I would've heard about sooner when I was more cool. If you are uncool and haven't seen it, do. It's good.

Master of None. Aziz walking around being Aziz. A nice corollary to his book on Modern Romance, and possibly the latest entry into the genre of New Sincerity. It's good. I feel I lucked out on this one as well.

G.L.O.W.: The gorgeous ladies of wrestling. I clicked on what I thought was a link to the trailer from one of those celebrity news sites, but it turned out to be a video of the nude scene instead. The show seemed less comedic than I expected. I may return to this one later (the series, not the video).

Big Brother U.S. Season 19: At first it appeared to be a show about barely-clothed housemates fighting -- (and it is) -- but I was rapidly entranced by its Machiavellian charms. It also solved the mystery of what in the the hell was that 24-hour feed that aired during my island honeymoon about the fighting naked people trapped under surveillance together in a big house. The show is apparently a condensed version of that feed. Thank god. I was worried about those people, and too afraid to mention it to the staff.

Master Chef Jr.: A much more placid version of the original. Gordon Ramsey doesn't yell at anyone. No swearing, no backbiting, and when the juniors go into the confessional, they congratulate each other, instead of calling everyone else a no-good home-cook b*tch. Recommended.

Passengers: A newly-sexy Chris Pratt boards a spaceship only to wake up early from cryo-sleep, destined to spend the next 100 years alone. Soon he decides to wake-up the hottest crew member, and hijinks ensue. I'm glad I saw this one on TV.

Next up: Illegally Yours on VHS. Hot tip from a fellow poster.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017 at 12:30 AM

9. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

IMG_2116.JPG

Alone in Berlin. Ethics, morality and resistance in Nazi Germany. Based on a true story about Otto and Elise Hampel.

After their son dies in France 1940 Otto begins to write postcards informing the populace of the true nature of Hitlers war machine. Which as the story progresses turns into a morality/thriller all the while Berlin begins its decent into hell.

Solid performances from the leads and an inspiring study of resistance in the face of totalitarian terror.

Recommend.

10. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Senior member

Lobster was good. Don't know if I would sit through it again tho. I liked seeing all the animals roaming around the forest.

11. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    USSR Film Studio Channel on Yotube. Most of it 1080 and with English subtitles.
    For those who enjoy Russian/Soviet odd cinema here is the link

12. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

^That is neat!

We watched the first 7 episodes of G.L.O.W. yesterday. I found it very watchable (obviously), though not on the same level of the best cable has to offer.

As a fan of Mad Men, my head almost exploded seeing the chubby Mad Men guy bedding Pete's wife(!). I wondered how weird and uncomfortable that must have been for the actors, too.

I thought the performances were all pretty solid. Comedian/podcaster Mike(?) Maron has a prominent role -- something I didn't know going in -- and does an excellent job.

The most surprising aspect was the way the whole season takes place before the wrestling show they're making even ends up on TV.

All in all, pretty satisfying. I'll definitely come back for Season 2.

13. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Agree with you on Glow. I like it better than OITNB though. That show lost me when it shifted more towards drama. Jenji Kohan shows always feel like something's a little off... like the showrunners can't decide whether or not the show should be realistic. Sometimes it turns into a sitcom out of the blue.

---

Back to movies...

War for the Planet of the Apes... one of the best blockbusters in a long time. (It's a blockbuster, so there are still a few cringey moments, and the plot is a bit obvious.) I was worried that Steve Zahn's character was going to be a Jar Jar, but it wasn't over the top.

My wife was crying at the end. Over CGI apes. Andy Serkis deserves an Oscar nomination.