• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i caught The Handmaiden. i need to rewatch with full intention, i suspect it's an amazing movie but i was distracted at the time.

i also re-watched There Will Be Blood ("Bastard in a basket!") which is waaaay better than i though it would be years later. the oh-so-deliberate pacing of a western, the embodiment of capitalism in the scenery-munching protagonist, the inevitable triumph of 'progress'... a very satisfying time.

dotcomzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wasn't that shot on a digital camera? I remember thinking there was something way off and un-Lynchian about the actual look of the film (i.e. no *film*). It was also the first movie of his I thought could have been improved by significant editing.

Still, there were some indelible scenes, like the lengthy account of the woman dying on the street.

As far as I know it was shot entirely in standard definition digital video. It was the first movie of his done this way. I kind of feel it lends a nice home job quality to the film. But yeah, it breaks his usual shooting manner.

Agreed on the editing; it could have used it for sure.

There Will Be Blood is so good.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
american-pastoral.jpg

Caught this sometime this wknd.

Not bad. Not great. Tells the story of a family whose only daughter slowly transforms to a "radical" and is involved with some bombings in NJ(and elsewhere.)

I felt that it could have been so much better. Just didn't push me over the top.

Pushing a 3/5.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Saw Long Strange Trip or whatever the new Grateful Dead documentary is called this weekend. I think it starts streaming on Amazon in a week or so. If you're interested in it, you're probably fine waiting for the streaming.
It's four-plus hours long. Easily could have been 2 1/2 hours without losing much. Some fun old footage, and some of the interviews are interesting.
But the whole thing is (not surprisingly) an incredible exercise in navel-gazing. It surveys the approximately 30-year lifespan of the band without ever seeming to relate anything that was happening with/to them to what was going on in the rest of the world (musically or more broadly) in any meaningful way.
Minor illustrative example: they talk about how American Beauty was the band's first real studio commercial success and talk about the importance of the music's "country influences". Somehow they manage to do this without mentioning Gram Parsons or anyone else involved in that musical movement. In fact, aside from the usual references to Mickey Hart's devotion to collecting world rhythms and Garcia's youthful interest in bluegrass, there's no sense of who they listened to, who influenced their sound over the years, etc. There's some quick, funny footage of Jerry and Mick Jagger meeting at an airport or something. But the film then just moves on without relating it to anything. Did Jerry like the Stones? Think they were no-talent clowns? Learn anything from them? No idea. Just, "Hey, look, here's some old film we found of Jerry shaking hands with Mick Jagger!"
I'm also pretty sure there's no mention of, say, Dylan or Chuck Berry in the four-plus hours. Also, (curious but not a big deal) no mention of Bruce Hornsby, although the history of Dead keyboard players otherwise receives a fair amount of attention.
If you find Jerry Garcia endlessly fascinating, you'll probably enjoy it.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bride of Re-Animator. fun flick, Jeffrey Combs is so watchable as the fervent, unhinged Dr. West.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That was some gonzo 80s stuff, right there. I saw them back to back recently, which was a little much, but I thought they had a nice feel to them.

In other news, anyone liking the new Twin Peaks? We're saving them for some binge watching...

dotcomzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Season 3 of Twin Peaks is very good. To my mind at least. Pretty dark thus far; there's no coffee and pie at the diner chit chat like the first two seasons. But it does have some humor to it, especially ep 3 and 4.

If you haven't watched Fire Walk With Me, I suggest you see that first as it's pertinent viewing to understand what's happening in the new season.

Stugotes

Reaction score
Season 3 of Twin Peaks is very good. To my mind at least. Pretty dark thus far; there's no coffee and pie at the diner chit chat like the first two seasons. But it does have some humor to it, especially ep 3 and 4.

If you haven't watched Fire Walk With Me, I suggest you see that first as it's pertinent viewing to understand what's happening in the new season.

I already wondered why there is no TP thread??

I watched the first three episodes so far and I am so scared. These are super creepy!

The thing that materializes in the glass cube and kills the lovers in Ep1?
The thing that sits in a cell near the local principal in Ep2??
The lady with no eyes in Coopers space adventure in Ep3??!

AaaAAAAahh...!! This is very much the creepy Lost Highway/Mul. Dr. Lynch!

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do I also have to remember much about the original seasons? Or can I just watch Fire Walk With Me and get started?

I mean, I watched them more like 8-10 years ago rather than 26, but I can't say I have a very detailed recollection.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
David Lynch, like dotcomzzz said, recommended watching the movie again...but it's not like the old episodes would be a chore. They're on Netflix, too.

dotcomzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Yeah this.

I'd say you want to be generally familiar with how the TV series ends, ie what's happened to Cooper and whatnot. But it's not as important as FWWM. One reason for this is the character references in the new series go back to FWWM.

Yeah @Stugotes we need to start a TP thread. So many questions!

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friday night
fisherking.jpg

Simply put I love this film, it has heart, soul, great comedy, pathos and ordinary madness. With a great ensemble cast directed by Terry Gilliam.

Saturday night after the football.
kfHuiow.jpg

Solid cast but give me the Seven Samurai anytime.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But Magnificent Seven has the better score. Classic Elmer Bernstein.
Which was based upon the score for Seven Samurai.

paxonus

Reaction score
Which was based upon the score for Seven Samurai.
Bernstein sounds more like Aaron Copland to me. It has been awhile since I've seen Seven Samurai, but I don't remember anything from the score that was as memorable as Bernstein's opening.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads