What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Nov 29, 2010.

1. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Wasn't that shot on a digital camera? I remember thinking there was something way off and un-Lynchian about the actual look of the film (i.e. no *film*). It was also the first movie of his I thought could have been improved by significant editing.

Still, there were some indelible scenes, like the lengthy account of the woman dying on the street.

2. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

This weekend:

Can't Buy Me Love. The original. In my 80s top ten, and a total exemplar of the genre: Nerdy teen. Wisecracking younger brother. Pymagalion transformation. Insufferable jocks. The dick college boyfriend. Love interest whose only identifiable quality is that she's hot. Slow clap. Slut-shaming. Hijinks. Fun.

License to Drive. A tale of Two Coreys, and better than remembered. A young Heather Graham (see above). Richard Masur having fun. Wisecracking younger brother. Uptight older sister. Ambulatory hijinks. Solid fun, and the fashion is realistic and on point.

These things are like Russian fairy tales, and I can't get enough.

3. double00

double00 Senior member

i caught The Handmaiden. i need to rewatch with full intention, i suspect it's an amazing movie but i was distracted at the time.

i also re-watched There Will Be Blood ("Bastard in a basket!") which is waaaay better than i though it would be years later. the oh-so-deliberate pacing of a western, the embodiment of capitalism in the scenery-munching protagonist, the inevitable triumph of 'progress'... a very satisfying time.

4. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Senior member

As far as I know it was shot entirely in standard definition digital video. It was the first movie of his done this way. I kind of feel it lends a nice home job quality to the film. But yeah, it breaks his usual shooting manner.

Agreed on the editing; it could have used it for sure.

There Will Be Blood is so good.