What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

I don't think the first one will ever be surpassed.I think what made it great in terms of its horror was the ordinariness of the crew and the situation they were cast into.

A friend was telling me he read the Vincent Ward script after Alien3 came out. He played a role in the navigator and was being considered for Alien3. A good synopsis of it is herehttp://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Alien_III_(Vincent_Ward)

I found Covenant had far too many unanswered questions and can't understand why the material in the last trailer was not included in the film.

2. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

I thought Covenant was very dark. It does a good job of making the viewer want more from the franchise.
    There are some unanswered questions, but that is part of the development I hope. Have a link to the trailer where they didnt use parts in the movie?

3. Geoffrey Firmin

4. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

^ I don't know if that first bit was ever intended to be in the movie, but since it was releases as a 'prologue', I didn't expect to see it there. There were other trailer scenes though - mostly with the crew interacting (like in 'The Last Supper' extended clip) - that would have helped flesh out the characters, but which didn't make it to the final cut.

5. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Though convenient, it's also kinda of a shame how streaming services have disappeared the DVD; I miss deleted scenes, special features, commentary tracks, and sometimes, the option to watch a movie with scenes restored.

(Yesterday at 7-11 I saw this sad, case-less Criterion Life Aquatic disc on sale for $2!)

6. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

Yeah, It still doesn't really explain things. Having watched that trailer, I'm still ok with where the movie has some unanswered questions. Had they gone into the voyage with Shaw and David, the movie could have easily extended into that 2.5 hour range, and it looks like that is something that most movies are avoiding these days. (I remember sitting through the almost 3 hour Interstellar thinking the same thing. It was good and I was entertained, but I walked out thinking "Man they could have shortened that story a little more")
    I buy most of my movies from the Apple store, and most come with the disc extras. Most are also about the price of a dvd back in the day. $15-20

7. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

When I say that Covenant was dark, I came away with the human race is doomed. David is Lucifer and there will be no stopping him. At the end of most of the other Alien movies, there is a least a glimmer of hope or a survivor. Here, nothing. Even Prometheus saw everyone die except Shaw and there was hope that they would find their makers (but probably be killed by them). Instead, David is now the eternal villain who may reign forever.
    I think another weird plot point in the series is the fact that information is still slow to travel. The crew of the covenant still had 7 years left to get to their destination. When was Earth going to respond and send its next group to either intercept Covenant (and David) or send out its next terraformers? 10 years is a long time between deployments and think of how much technology can change. The only question I really have a problem with is how a (supposed) far superior Walter can get beat by a rebuilt David.

8. gort

gort Senior member

Alien was awesome. Finally getting some answers with regards to how the Aliens as we knew them in Alien & Aliens were created was very satisfying as a lore nerd. Obviously everyone will complain about more "unanswered questions" but that is why Ridley has more sequels planned to connect right in to the start of Alien.

9. Geoffrey Firmin

I'm aware that unanswered questions are all part of the narrative arc. However the story arc has distinctly changed from an explanation of humanities origins in terms of a SciFi space opera into a focus upon the dangers of an AI with a God complex.

Which of course opens up a whole new set of narrative options in terms of story development. However the last thing I want to see is an Alien invasion of earth with David leading his flock.

10. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

I read something today that talked of the possibilty of David becoming part of the alien (either as host or like in the beginning of Prometheus). It would kill David and morph the alien into what it was like in the later movies. I wish I could sit in on some of these brainstorming writing sessions just to see how crazy some of their ideas are.
    The blog also discussed the lack of further plot on the engineers (of human life) and how they probably are not all dead.

11. Geoffrey Firmin

Reading an article on Transhumanism and the Singularity:brick: at breakfast when I came upon this " a Florida pastor argued that in the future AI could be evangelised just like humans" Well if that is the case AI can develop an ego which could well end up just as twisted as David. But then was he programmed to this end to begin with?

12. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

The Fate of the Furious.

I don't know how with every installment, the Fast & the Furious franchises climbs to cinematic heights heretofore unreached on this terra frima.

But in all seriousness, I do think the F&F franchises do a good job with story telling. Not to say it's deep or challenging but the plots are always concise, they've made a universe where it's totally plausible to have these muscle cars be stealthy/weapons in international crime, there's character development in each movie, the story always keeps moving.... and this isn't to say Orson Welles would be jealous just that they do many things very well.

13. lefty

lefty Senior member

Ward wrote that with John Fasano. I did the EFX for Fasano's first movie and hung out with him for six months. He was a fun cat. Good A writer, fun B-movie director. Just found out he's dead. Too bad.

lefty

14. Geoffrey Firmin

Die Hard1-5 pig out on cable today. Can I sit down and engage with some cinematic high body count, self indulgent mindlessness but essentially cultural satisfying behaviour on a Saturday?
    NO! :brick::cloud::censored: