• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Motivates you guys to exercise or workout?

preynhunt

Reaction score
I am really trying to start exercising, but I cant seem to focus. I run on the treadmill for 30mins, then I get bored, I cant stand anything on tv, and listening to music while exercising, only is exciting for sometime. what do you guys do, or inspires you to workout or exercise?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by preynhunt
I am really trying to start exercising, but I cant seem to focus. I run on the treadmill for 30mins, then I get bored, I cant stand anything on tv, and listening to music while exercising, only is exciting for sometime. what do you guys do, or inspires you to workout or exercise?

Vanity. Find some pictures of a physique you want and tell yourself the only way to get there is to work at it.

WSW

Reaction score
I find that exercising helps make life more enjoyable. I have more energy during the day, I can be more competitive playing recreational sports, and I also look good. I also find it helps discipline the mind and makes you more confident. To avoid boredom during my workouts, I try to mix up different exercises. If you are just starting out, it can be tough. But after you work out for a period, it becomes part of your life, like brushing your teeth or reading the paper during breakfast.

mbc

Reaction score
Same thing that motivates me to fund my retirement accounts. Life is long, prepare early.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
in no particular order:

health. don't think i need to say much about this one. as long as you don't over do it, exercise is good for you.

the high. after a good run or a long hike to the top of a mountain, it really is a feeling like no other in the world.

looking good and feeling good. i think exercise can give you personal confidence.

staying in shape for other sports/activities. i try to stay in shape for other things like dancing, hiking, skiing.

the ironic thing is that i've got a pinched nerve, haven't run in about two months, and it's so amazingly depressing.

-Jeff

BigSur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
sex

same here... I always think about some hot new girl at work and how much more attractive I would seem to her if I put max effort into this set. It works everytime, the effort that is. I rarely get the hot new girl.
tongue.gif

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What inspires me: 1) Seeing my overweight grandfather who is on his deathbed from diabetes, heart problems, high blood pressure etc. 2) I like what I see in the mirror when I work out. Seriously it makes you so confident in clubs. In fact one day at a club this girl pushed her finger into my abs and smiled and said, perfect. Great feeling
biggrin.gif
3) I like being active with basketball so it helps to be in shape 4) Girls like fit guys

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I want to be featured in Playgirl - and I'm not totally joking
smile.gif

I started working out quite seriously last year in anticipation of my 20-year high school reunion. Now I'm just enjoying getting bigger and am determined to look better at 40 than I did at 20.

Once you get started, it becomes addictive to the point where I miss it if I don't work out every few days.

Maybe you should mix up the running with other activities. Lift weights, do an aerobics class, pilates, spinning, racquetball, basketball, whatever - try everything until you find something you like.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly? This is going to make me sound bad, but vanity . The obvious vanity, of course, but also so I can continue to pass 22 year old dudes on the road, and accomplish other feats better than guys heavier/stronger/naturally more athletic than I am. Yes, I am a monster of vanity
plain.gif

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Health (I'm diabetic and my father has many health issues)
Vanity (I want my wife to think I'm hot)
Better sex (really)

Try to get as much variety in your workout as possible. If you get bored with the treadmill after 30 minutes, do it for 20 and go to a spinning class for another 45 or so. That's tons of aerobic. Try a boxing class or something like that.

I find that my biggest problem is thinking I can't do something--like being on that elliptical trainer for more than 15 minutes. Oddly I found that if I simply ignore the time (cover it with something) and sing along with my music in my head, the time just goes away. When I'm sick of that (as I am now), I go back to spinning (which I'm doing tonight).

bob

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's another one of those facts: most people exercise primarily for aesthetic reasons.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Honestly? This is going to make me sound bad, but vanity . The obvious vanity, of course, but also so I can continue to pass 22 year old dudes on the road, and accomplish other feats better than guys heavier/stronger/naturally more athletic than I am. Yes, I am a monster of vanity
plain.gif

Admittance is the first step to recovery...luckily vanity's not a sin. Oh, wait...
devil.gif

Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads