• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Money Buys.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I saw this featured on my Yahoo page: "Indeed, it would take a curious psychological composition to comprehend spending $147,000 a year on watches, as the jet set do. Or $117,000 on clothes. Or a whopping $248,000 a year on jewelry. These people need serious help with their...finances. And that is partially why Grove and Prince conducted the survey -- as a note to advisers who might be able to help people with complex money issues." $248,000 isn't really a "whopping" amount for jewelry nor is $147,000 for a watch, and I'm sure we can agree on the clothing expenses. Kiton bespoke, perhaps?

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OH no....thats why WE ALL need serious help with our finances...:p

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
money can not buy taste and style unfortuatly!
laugh.gif

Mark_Y

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
money can not buy taste and style unfortuatly!
laugh.gif

But it can buy an education, where you can learn to spell.
wink.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
$248,000 is ten years of my gross taxable income.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
$248,000 isn't really a "whopping" amount for jewelry nor is $147,000 for a watch, and I'm sure we can agree on the clothing expenses. Kiton bespoke, perhaps?

I'd love some of what you're having.
wink.gif

You know one that spends that much on jewelry probably buys a decent amount of clothes / watches as well.

Let's put the person at a generous 300K. How in the blue hell, is this not a lot of money?
wink.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
I'd love some of what you're having.
wink.gif

You know one that spends that much on jewelry probably buys a decent amount of clothes / watches as well.

Let's put the person at a generous 300K. How in the blue hell, is this not a lot of money?
wink.gif

Well, the article seems to imply a tone of shock in referring to $248,000 as a whopping amount for jewelry when you tend to see jewelry--arguably one of the most valuable tangible commodities-- sell for much more higher prices at auction.

And I'm sure some of the other watch enthusiasts can chime in on watch prices.
wink.gif

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark_Y
But it can buy an education, where you can learn to spell.
wink.gif

tmd
crackup[1].gif

what do i need an education for?? schools dont teach you to spell anyway! but it does not stop me from speaking 3 languages. so what the point
tounge.gif

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think, as I earn more money, I will spend a heckuvalot more money on clothes....I'm too materialistic for my own good...BUT DAMN IT FEELS GOOD

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
tmd
crackup[1].gif

what do i need an education for?? schools dont teach you to spell anyway! but it does not stop me from speaking 3 languages. so what the point
tounge.gif

I thought u were a local hong kong dude at first. But ur like...a white boy
lol8[1].gif

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Well, the article seems to imply a tone of shock in referring to $248,000 as a whopping amount for jewelry when you tend to see jewelry--arguably one of the most valuable tangible commodities-- sell for much more higher prices at auction.

And I'm sure some of the other watch enthusiasts can chime in on watch prices.
wink.gif

I agree with LK, this are not "shocking" amounts of money for the items in question, especially in regards to the "jet set". I am not saying that this is not a lot of money, just not a lot of money to a lot of people. At the real high end of watchmaking, $147K barely gets you in the door (for 1 timepiece with complications). On thepurists a few years back, a guy went on vacation to Switzerland, stopped by Girard Perregaux's manufacturing facilities, fell in love with a rose gold 3 bridges tourbillon and walked out $375,000 poorer and he is not the exception on that site. One of the guys on this forum just took delivery of an F430, have you seen the price tag on that? If you have a high 7-10 figure income, $248k on clothes is not a whole lot.

rajesh06

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I am not saying that this is not a lot of money, just not a lot of money to a lot of people.

I am hoping you meant "not a lot of money to some people"

I would hate to think that there were a lot of people that could afford this kind of expenditure. I thought I read somehwhere that there are around 8,000 billionaires in the world. Assuming you need to have a net worth of $10 million or more to spend $300K a year on these things.

aybojs

Reaction score
I just find it hilarious to see the idea of spending of several hundred grand a year on frivolous expenses being brushed off as trivial by peanut gallery posters who probably don't even make a fifth of that before taxes and costs of such boorishly inelegant and pedestrian items as "food" or "housing."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics