• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What mix of suit styles do people wear?

jmatt

Reaction score
I posted about a DB suit, which got me thinking:

If one had 10 suits to wear, in a profession wear a suit was worn 5 days a week, what style mix would one wear?

As in the following:

2-button: 5 days out of 10
3-button: 4 days out of 10
Double Breasted: 1 day out of 10

Within said wardrobe, how many suits would be:

plain in color: 3 of 10
pinstripe: 3 of 10
Houndstooth: 1 of 10
Nailhead: 1 of 10
Prince of Wales: 1 of 10
Window pane: 1 of 10

Above are just my guesses, but I'm sartorially challenged. What do the sartorialist among us say?

jmatt

Reaction score
As my own follow-up, for suits one would wear less often than 1 day in 10, how often would you wear it?

Double breasted for example - 1 day in 10? 1 day per month? 1 day per quarter? Never?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I had a DB suit in my rotation, I'd wear between 1 and 1.5 days per 10 unless I were in a senior position in which case I'd wear it whenever I felt like it.

The 3B vs. 2B question has implications for the silhouette of the suit. I've yet to find a 3B suit that I think works for me. If both 2B and 3B work for you, great.

The patterns question is an interesting one. Obviously, meeting with clients, etc., suggests something other than the flamboyant windowpane, but those considerations aside, I think I'd choose something along the lines of:

Solid/herringbone: 2/10
Pinstripe: 2/10
Chalkstripe: 1/10
Windowpane: 3/10
Nailhead/sharkskin: 2/10

One's taste evolves, though. I'm sure my answers would be different in a couple year's time.

dan

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alternate between 3 button and 2 button suits. Some with darts, some without. A few Saville Row style things. Some double-vents. One without vent that I had made up to look like the suit in North by North West.

Aureus

Reaction score
If given 10 suits, I'd break them down as such

1 Navy Single breast
1 Navy 6x2 double breasted
3 Pinstripes Single breast.
2 Pinstripes 6x2 Double breasted
1 Windowpane
1 Nailhead
1 Chalkstripe

Stuttjukken

Reaction score
I only want to wear solid singel breasted suits, 2 or 3 buttons, (not stripes or double breasted suits), but it´s me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics