• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What messenger bag are you guys using?

Reaction score
i alternate *************** canvas mil bag and a black waterproof ReLoad bag

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good quality leather bag with a very minimalist design (preferably magnet fasteners), that I can put a laptop in?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I slept on the grey jas messenger and now I'm fukin pissed.

corbu

Reaction score
i use a milsurp bag, but really want to get one of these bags
worship.gif
Chris%20hiking%20Chugach%20range%20in%20Alaska.JPG
Crocodile%20tested.jpg
Franck.jpg
Bora%20Bora%20tobacco%20brown%20mountaintop.jpg
only $500
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

SDGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rbny
Jack Spade Greene Street Field Bag in "Tank."

I've travelled with it all over Europe and the Middle East in 2006 in varying climates/conditions and the following are my opinions/observations:

Pro's:

-Material is sturdy and water resistant. The main compartment, however, cannot be completely sealed off from the elements and I would put valued items (like Blackberry's, ID's, passports, etc.) in a water proof zip lock;
-Solidly stitch and seems to be maintaining its shape;
-Can carry heavy loads (but this is not really what a messenger bag is designed for);
-Easily accessed (if worn underneath right shoulder) smaller zippered side pockets located outside of the main compartment;
-Inside compartment can be cleaned easily;
-Low profile, non-descript look;
-Getting better with age.

Cons:

-The velcro is starting to lose it's adhesiveness due to the elements like sand, debris, etc.;
-The velcro makes too much noise (especially when it was new) and can attract attention when you open the maine flap;
-The side zippered pockets can be more difficult to access when the bag is worn underneath the left shoulder;
-It may be overpriced at $125 USD but then again, I've spent much more on other items/clothing that are not as useful.
-It's "style" may have come and gone but it still works for me.

Suggested improvements:

-Get rid of the velcro and use low profile nylon straps and buckles underneath the flap. This will be more secure and can be adjusted depending on how much you load the main compartment;
-Create identical side zippered pockets on the other side for those who prefer to carry the bag on the left side.
-The orange lining may or may not work for some (I don't care either way).

Sorry for the long evaluation. Hope this helps someone.

Regards.

I absolute agree with and especially the velcro part. Yea its get kinda annoying when it is still new. Whenever i wanna open my bag during my lecture, I will end up giving it up cuz it makes too much noise and I don't like distract people. btw, what color do u have? I have a black one and I love it!

masqueofhastur

Reaction score
Marmot Walkabout - it's got a strap for the hips so it sits on the hips without the need of the shoulder strap and doesn't strain the shoulders. It still has the shoulder strap so it stays on when the hip strap is unbuckled to get at your stuff. Very comfortable and very convenient.

interman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by corbu
i use a milsurp bag, but really want to get one of these bags
worship.gif

only $500
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

****, I think that's what I've been looking for, and I have the money to spend. I'd probably use it primarily for books and such on a day to day basis, but it seems to be suited for that too according to the pictures on the site. Decisions, decisions.

corbu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by interman
****, I think that's what I've been looking for, and I have the money to spend. I'd probably use it primarily for books and such on a day to day basis, but it seems to be suited for that too according to the pictures on the site. Decisions, decisions.
No decision to be made ... buy, buy, buy! Then post a review
laugh.gif
.... I really want to see how these things are in the real world. The only negative thing I can think about those bags are the security straps. Theyre great for traveling, but I wouldn't want to deal with them everyday. You'd have to fold them up like in some of the pictures.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use this bag:
olkalaukku_white_big.jpg
In this color:
markiisi_066_pikkukuva.jpg

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im still rocking my Jack Spade Greene St. that I bought last summer. I agree with the loud velcro thing! Ive though about cutting it off but Im not sure how the flap would lay if I did that. But overall its worth the price I paid (about $100). Nicely weatherproof. And it holds its structure very very well and carries heavy loads of beer with ease. And I had some stinky chinese food come out all over the inside, which was very easy to clean due to the nice inner-lining.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by masqueofhastur
Marmot Walkabout - it's got a strap for the hips so it sits on the hips without the need of the shoulder strap and doesn't strain the shoulders. It still has the shoulder strap so it stays on when the hip strap is unbuckled to get at your stuff. Very comfortable and very convenient.
So in other words, it's like a large fanny pack?

masqueofhastur

Reaction score
More like a backpack without the regular shoulder straps. North Face has similar ones, they're used for mountain biking.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
So in other words, it's like a large fanny pack?

AM I the only one that finds the whole notion of a "fanny pack" VERY disturbing? Or at the very least lecherous
devil.gif
?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads