• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What measurements should i request from my tailor

Reaction score
In the interest of buying clothes online i'm planning on getting my measurements taken by a tailor.
She seemed keen on the idea and willing to do the job so that's great and all :) However i would like to make sure that the measurements i get are useful for buying clothing online. Is there a list of measurements somewhere online i should request as a checklist of sorts.

I'm gonna bring some of my best fitting clothes as a reference as well just for a comparison.
Any other considerations/experiences?

Thx
Tobias

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Create a list of measurements from the online makers you plan to use. Some makers may ask for measurements different than other makers. If they have specific ways to take the measurements be sure you understand what they want and how they describe the measurements be taken.
There are different measurements needed for shirts than for jackets so don’t forget to search shirtmakers requirements too.
Helps you to know your fitting issues so you can address this with the maker. Like an accurate assessment of your posture, normal, stooped, erect. And the degree of change in your posture, slight, moderate, or more extreme.
Do you have a low shoulder, high or low hip, prominent shoulder blades or full chest. Do you have sloping, normal, high/square or forward shoulders.
Pictures help. Both wearing a t shirt to see your physical structure and in a jacket or shirt to see fit and proportions. Be relaxed and natural posture. Don’t pose for the pictures.
More information you can accurately provide is better to communicate with the maker

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Even perfect measurements don’t insure a good fit or create the silhouette you may expect. Be prepared to make several garments to get things dialed in.
What you can’t change is the silhouette of their patterns/make. Since they work from premade patterns it is basically the same as trying on RTW looking for the styling and look that you want and works with your body type. Every maker’s pattern is unique to them and the core of the pattern needs to be right for you.
Finding a MTM maker is the same as finding a RTW garment. You won’t know until you try. Working directly with the maker you have to go through the learning curve. You will have to analyze results and how to change things, with their help. If you work with a MTM tailor shop you get their insight/ experience. They should understand the silhouette, proportion and fit of the maker’s patterns and know how to modify it for your physique. The responsibility is on them.

Reaction score
Thank you both for your answers!

I think you might have misunderstood my intensions a tad. I was planning on using my measurements and compare them to listed ebay measurements to gauge wether or not a purchase might be worth a gamble (that can be tailored if it doesn't fit). I wasn't planning on having mtm ordered.

I wasn't aware that suits and shirts required different measurements. Interesting!

Even perfect measurements don’t insure a good fit or create the silhouette you may expect. Be prepared to make several garments to get things dialed in.
What you can’t change is the silhouette of their patterns/make. Since they work from premade patterns it is basically the same as trying on RTW looking for the styling and look that you want and works with your body type. Every maker’s pattern is unique to them and the core of the pattern needs to be right for you.

I wasn't aware of this either. Very illuminating. Does this mean that some brands might have a "premade pattern" that might fit me better than others. And, in an ideal world, knowing that, would suggest what brand i should pursue from then on.? Does this premade pattern also get used by more high end brands (ie, Attolini, Kiton Brioni and so on)?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Substitute the term existing pattern for premade pattern.
Every maker creates their own patterns and that is what distinguishes one from others. Patterns are made differently as each maker has a different prototype they see as their client demographic.
Yes, you need to try on as many jackets and trousers as you can and see which is most compatible with your body type. Stick with the brand that fits best with the least alteration. You want to learn what can be altered or improved and what cannot. Learn your particular fitting issues to recognize what a proper fit is for you.
Pick the maker with the aesthetic/silhouette you like with the best fit.
Lots of the items that I have run across bought on eBay have been altered to fit the original owner and may not be the same as trying on off the rack.

Last edited:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you think it's a lost cause buying used items of ebay? Too many variables?

I’m not a fan of used clothing but I think financially you’re better off than doing online made to measure.

my comment above was in reference to that. I see now that buying on eBay was your intent.

My advice; don’t force it. Obviously you have a budget. Don’t force it. Stay within your budget and buy from a local shop that can offer you fitting advice and basic alterations.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Don’t know what stores or clothing brands are in the area where you live. Do some home work before buying clothes online.
Visit brick and mortar stores and try on clothes in every price range. Learn how clothes should fit and what brands fit you best. Establish what size you are in the brands you like. It may be more than a single brand. Find the model name or a way to identify the model of jacket or trouser. With this info you have a target on eBay or other sites to get clothes you know will fit and look the way you want to dress. Don’t start buying online without knowing what you are buying or if it will work for you. Ask what alterations have been done before buying.
May be other threads about buying online or someone will read this thread and add more tips to help you

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads