• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What material for SS button-ups?

Hasek10

Reaction score
So I'm tired of short sleeve poplin that wrinkles up at the placket and collar while the bottom becomes like under cooked bacon. I also don't want to be wearing golf shirts all summer and my polo collection is more than sufficient. So the question then becomes - how do I shop for short sleeve button ups that are fashionable that won't turn to garbage after its been washed a few times? I've thrifted some vintage silk and I do keep my eyes open for 100% linen, but are there brands making cotton shirts of sturdier fabrics? Should I be looking for cotton/polyester blends? Where do you go to get a stylish summer button up that can last for more than a season? My budget would be less than $100 a shirt and I'm willing to hold out for end of season clearance sales and the like.

rjc149

Reaction score
Not exactly a direct answer to your question, but I've taken some old bespoke dress shirts where the neck got too snug to wear comfortably with a tie, and had a tailor convert them to short-sleeved shirts. The sleeves were cut to mid-bicep, and the tail shortened to be worn untucked. I paid $35 per shirt. They are quite comfortable in hot weather and look good with shorts or chinos. I don't believe anyone can tell they are repurposed dress shirts, if it mattered to me.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think this question would be easier to answer if you start with a "look." A short-sleeved button-up shirt can work in various dress traditions, but their styling and fabric will depend on the look they're intended to create. If you like prep, it might be a short-sleeved madras shirt. If you like something more rugged, it might be a chambray shirt. If you like something a bit more contemporary, it might be a short-sleeved Tencel or rayon print. Each of these styles has to work with the rest of your wardrobe -- the pants, shoes, etc.

If you're just looking at "reliable fabrics," you might end up with a very generic, mall-type look that's not very interesting or inspiring. If you start with a look, you can then find brands that fit that aesthetic. You can get around basic quality issues by just shopping at good brands and stores, but doing so requires you to have an aesthetic sensibility first, so you know where to shop.

To stop the wavy "bacon" placket, button your shirt all the way up when you hang them in your closet. Including the neck button.

Reactions: RSS

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've gotten several shirts from Proper Cloth and I've been happy with them. Really a great concept - choose your cloth, choose the shirt design etc. I went the route of answering their questions and based on that they generate a sizing profile. Your first shirt shipped you get free returns on and they're very open about it. I will say the measurements end up being different than any shirt I wear from anyone else (neck size is a full inch bigger for example). But, I was able to wash/wear the shirt and identify the needed adjustments. One of the reasons I tried them was a selection of linen they had. I love linen in the summer - prefer linen and silk to cotton for breathability. It's obviously not as good as being able to see/feel the fabrics themselves but it's an option.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Proper Cloth recently added a reinforced placket option (“stand up”) that I like. You can order it either with a standard (American) placket or with no placket (Euro or French style as it’s known).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads