• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What I Learned at Culinary School Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virginia Dandy

Reaction score
I only worked in a restaurant once and have absolutely no desire ever to do so again - but this is cool and, I suppose, a logical progression from the courses you were taking.

How would you describe the restaurant, and how did you choose it for your once per week outing?

What did you tell the restaurant? Do they know you're a hobbyist (no offense intended)? Is that an apt word for what you're doing? Did you tell them you're considering a change in career or something in order to get in the door?

edit - just saw your post immediately above. So this is a career switch? Will you be ordering a bespoke toque?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
it's a classic French restaurant and let's just say they are used to volunteers.

I am not switching careers, no way no how. But some of the people in there are switchers and a few of them can be rather sanctimonious about it, as if they had given up all their worldly posessions to go to Angola with the Peace Corps.

Virginia Dandy

Reaction score
Well, that's a relief.

Seeing you take a job where it's impossible to wear conservative business dress to work would just not compute - kind of like MJ playing minor league baseball.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Restaurants actually must be licensed to use sous vide machines, at least in New York. The only exception is for poaching eggs.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Restaurants actually must be licensed to use sous vide machines, at least in New York. The only exception is for poaching eggs.

Same is true for ice cream makers . . . and many of the city's best restaurants don't have one (a license that is, they still have the equipment despite the rule).

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting, this is really interesting.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I welcome you with open arms, Manton. If you ever need a stage in bumfuck, Illinois, you've got my number.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
damn, manton. That's dedication.
worship.gif
I know damned well I couldn't hack it in a commercial kitchen.

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow just saw this thread for the first time. really impressive stuff

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good for you. How long do you think you will be able to stand the once-a-week gig?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How'd you manage to get in there once a week?

It seems like most places would only hire part time help several days a week (since otherwise it can take ages to get someone trained)

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
How'd you manage to get in there once a week?

Because manton is awesome, that's how.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
It helps that I am not getting paid. In fact, I would say it is essential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads