What Manton Learned at Culinary School Today

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Jan 4, 2009.

1. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I looked in to this some more for myself. I found that L'Academie Culinaire in Montreal offers a 24 hour Techniques de base course for $840. It seems cheap, but if it teaches me 60% of what Manton's teaches him at 1/8th the cost, I'd be fine with that.

Le Cordon Bleu in Ottawa is much more expensive. Basically 8k per level and I'm not sure how long the courses are. I don't see anything for amateurs except really short courses.

If I'm still in montreal for a while after i get back I'll think about the AC one. It's not like i'm gonna be a professional chef.

2. SField

SField Senior member

I looked in to this some more for myself. I found that L'Academie Culinaire in Montreal offers a 24 hour Techniques de base course for $840. It seems cheap, but if it teaches me 60% of what Manton's teaches him at 1/8th the cost, I'd be fine with that.

Le Cordon Bleu in Ottawa is much more expensive. Basically 8k per level and I'm not sure how long the courses are. I don't see anything for amateurs except really short courses.

If I'm still in montreal for a while after i get back I'll think about the AC one. It's not like i'm gonna be a professional chef.

It's worth it though. You have to eat every day until you die. Might as well make the experience fun.

3. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

This is "fun"?

Another interesting post. Tx.

4. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

This is "fun"?

Best time you'll ever have!

5. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

This is "fun"?
    It is a huge amount of fun, if you have a certain cast of mind.

6. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

I can see how I could get obsessive about improving my skillz, but being treated like a child by some overbearing French chef still wouldn't be my idea of fun. I prefer to benefit from the fruits of others' fun. <hint, hint>

7. SField

SField Senior member

I can see how I could get obsessive about improving my skillz, but being treated like a child by some overbearing French chef still wouldn't be my idea of fun. I prefer to benefit from the fruits of others' fun. <hint, hint>

Take it you never played sports in highschool?

8. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

how many sessions is that? is that a long weekend, or a few weeks?

9. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Take it you never played sports in highschool?

I did, and I didn't like it then either. So I quit. Moreover, I'm very happy to no longer be in high school and have no desire to return to any condition approximating it.

10. SField

SField Senior member

I did, and I didn't like it then either. So I quit. Moreover, I'm very happy to no longer be in high school and have no desire to return to any condition approximating it.

Yea, I'd stay away from a pro kitchen then.

There tends to be a lot of yelling and verbal abuse. I don't think anyone truly enjoys that, it just goes with the territory.

11. Manton

I must be making him sound meaner than he is. I like him a lot. The fact that he is tough makes the class much more fun (for me) and makes me work harder and learn more. In retrospect, it's clear that the Knife Skills class was too milquetoast.

I think there is a wink in his eye when he fucks with us. Now, the bottom three people undoubtedly do not enjoy it as much as I do.

12. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

how was class these past two weeks

13. Manton

There was no class last week (Jan 17); the next one is this Saturday.

14. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

how many sessions is that? is that a long weekend, or a few weeks?

8 weeks 3 hours each? Not sure.

15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

ah. looking forward to the next post. don't forget your camera!!!