• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What I Learned at Culinary School Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"I might get ridiculed a little "” like a new student playing a Cremon[ese] violin "” but I don't care."

laugh.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Suddenly I want to buy some sacrificial veggies and chop them up. Probably next week, when I'm responsible for dinner. Pictures might be forthcoming around May or so - once I've had adequate time to prepare and lose a few fingertips.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I bought some sacrificial vegetables yesterday to practice on. Here are the results:

p1050502sz9.jpg

I am a bit underwhelmed.

The tournes actually look better than the ones I did Saturday, if you can believe that. But they are not smoothly seven-sided.

The macedoine are mostly square, but not uniform. They frustrated the heck out of me because I mostly got them right the first time. I don't know about the rest of you, but I find that carrot battonets tend not to stay straight. They bend, whcih makes cutting uniform cubes really hard.

The jardinaire are pretty good; first try on those.

The two piles of brunoise look OK, but if you could see them in real life, you would see that they are far from uniform. I sort of wonder how much it matters when they are close in size to grains of salt, but I know that it matters to chef, so it must matter to me.

The julienne of carrots are a little flatter than they should be.

The turnips are pretty good. The left turnips are more matchstick size -- mostly uniform, but too big for this chef. The ones on the right are more his speed.

p1050518jt4.jpg

Lemon eplucher on the left. Still a little pith that had to be trimmed. Doing this right, you leave no pith, and you take no flesh. Hard.

On the left, the first set of supremes. Not bad in that I did not break any. However. you are supposed to be able to pick the seeds out with the tip of a paring knife without leaving a visible gash. I failed.

p1050527qh8.jpg

Both supremed. I mostly did a better job on the second one, in that I was able to navigate the membrane more easily and get the slices out faster, but I also broke one. C'est la vie.

I think that I have a machine in my kitchen that does that.....

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I think that I have a machine in my kitchen that does that.....

... and then bends over when she's finished?

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

The FCI is a professional school that trains working chefs, but also offers amatuer classes. It is not as prestigious as the Culinary Institute of America (but then nothing is) and the program is far shorter.

not true...

really, all you learn at any culinary school is the basics. you learn almost everything you use on a daily basis on the job, usually at your first restaurant or hotel job.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cchen
not true...

really, all you learn at any culinary school is the basics. you learn almost everything you use on a daily basis on the job, usually at your first restaurant or hotel job.

That's not entirely true.

And even if it were, it has no effect on the fact that the CIA is the most prestigious culinary school in America.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
As a professional in the industry, I would say its true.

Did you go to school? What kind of restaurant do you work in?

Anyway, what industry isn't it true of? In school you always learn the basic and learn how to actually do the job on the job.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you talk to any professional chef, they will tell you that it doesn't matter what school you went to. When I look at resumes to hire for my kitchen, I really don't care where they went to school. When you enter a professional kitchen, you're going to working along side people who went to CIA, FCI, ICE, and people who never went to culinary school.

There's no prestige factor. No ones gives a ****.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

There's no prestige factor. No ones gives a ****.

That is what I noticed as well. Performance is much, much more important.

Mike,

The class looks awesome. I sent links to your blog to some friends
devil.gif

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a professional in the industry, I would say its true.

"professional" in the "industry" can mean WD-50 or ******* Chik-Fil-A. Some people do in fact care, and curriculums are quite stringent. People don't spend that much money just to learn the basics. They are fundamentals but they aren't basic, especially with how much molecular/avant garde is going on now. Yes pro experience is everything, but just like 'everything I learned I learned in Kindergaarden', it is in many ways, quite the same.

Tell any average joe that you went to CIA and watch the reaction, if they're at least someone well read. What you say for pros not caring can be said about any industry. GS doesn't care if you went to Harvard business, but that doesn't nix the reality that it's prestigious.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
"professional" in the "industry" can mean WD-50 or ******* Chik-Fil-A.
Yeah, but cchen runs DessertTruck, not McDonalds Restaurant #3719 in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Well, I am new at this. So far, it seems that both views are held in roughly equal strength.

That is, lots of people say that it doesn't, in the end, matter where you go to school. But most also agree that CIA is the most prestigious school qua schools.

Sort of like Harvard. It is the most prestigious university. Still, many very successful people went somewhere else, dropped out, or didn't go to college at all.

In the end, performace is what matters.

That does not alter the prestige factor of the school qua school among its peers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads