1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What Manton Learned at Culinary School Today

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Virginia Dandy

Virginia Dandy Senior member

I only worked in a restaurant once and have absolutely no desire ever to do so again - but this is cool and, I suppose, a logical progression from the courses you were taking.

How would you describe the restaurant, and how did you choose it for your once per week outing?

What did you tell the restaurant? Do they know you're a hobbyist (no offense intended)? Is that an apt word for what you're doing? Did you tell them you're considering a change in career or something in order to get in the door?

edit - just saw your post immediately above. So this is a career switch? Will you be ordering a bespoke toque?

2. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

it's a classic French restaurant and let's just say they are used to volunteers.

I am not switching careers, no way no how. But some of the people in there are switchers and a few of them can be rather sanctimonious about it, as if they had given up all their worldly posessions to go to Angola with the Peace Corps.

3. Virginia Dandy

Virginia Dandy Senior member

Well, that's a relief.

Seeing you take a job where it's impossible to wear CBD to work would just not compute - kind of like MJ playing minor league baseball.

4. Manton

Restaurants actually must be licensed to use sous vide machines, at least in New York. The only exception is for poaching eggs.

5. nmprisons

nmprisons Senior member

Restaurants actually must be licensed to use sous vide machines, at least in New York. The only exception is for poaching eggs.

Same is true for ice cream makers . . . and many of the city's best restaurants don't have one (a license that is, they still have the equipment despite the rule).

6. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Thanks for posting, this is really interesting.

7. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

I welcome you with open arms, Manton. If you ever need a stage in bumfuck, Illinois, you've got my number.

8. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

damn, manton. That's dedication. [​IMG] I know damned well I couldn't hack it in a commercial kitchen.

9. willpower

willpower Senior member

You must be sore and beat after work.

10. scientific

scientific Senior member

wow just saw this thread for the first time. really impressive stuff

11. eg1

eg1 Senior member

Good for you. How long do you think you will be able to stand the once-a-week gig?

12. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Why you working at the kitchen?

13. otc

otc Senior member

How'd you manage to get in there once a week?

It seems like most places would only hire part time help several days a week (since otherwise it can take ages to get someone trained)

14. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

How'd you manage to get in there once a week?

Because manton is awesome, that's how.

15. Manton

It helps that I am not getting paid. In fact, I would say it is essential.

16. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

I am a huge fish fan/eater, and I never felt the aversion that apparently many here have.

it doesn't help that outside of big cities, the white fish I see the vast majority of time in stores is the muddy tasting tilapia (it must be soaked in buttermilk for a bit to get rid of that off taste). Perhaps people assume that because it's everywhere, it's a popular fish. And becasue it's popular, it must be good, but tilapia (IMO) really isn't a great tasting fish.

I seriously despise Tilapia.

17. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    it's not just tilapia, though that is a common fish. catfish, "striped bass" (not the saltwater one, the farmed hybrid) ... basically any farmed fish can have that moldy, pool-bottom taste if the farmers aren't really careful about maintenance.

18. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I seriously despise Tilapia.

I don't even like the name. I'd never even heard of it before reading about it here on SF...