Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What Manton Learned at Culinary School Today

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Jan 4, 2009.

1. binge

binge Senior member

An engaging read.

2. HEWSINATOR

HEWSINATOR Senior member

3. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Great original post. When I think of culinary school, I think of the old-school French chef you are referring to, Manton. Thus, it always amazes me when I see the knuckleheads on Top Chef give people/judges attitude when they perceive themselves to be slighted. Their inability to take criticism makes me think they never had any good, traditional culinary training. I don't know. . .

Nothing annoys an instructor more than seeing people in training take shortcuts - that goes against everything that makes up the acquisition of fundamental knowledge.

4. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Manton, you need a full time job.

5. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Took some time but finally read your post, Manton. Well-done.

How about some pics? I would very much like to see your Tourne and possibly deride it publicly while I weep privately about not being able to come close to your efforts.

6. Histrion

Histrion Senior member

Somebody said that taking off the rind and pith would translate as 'to peel' in French. Well, it is not accurate. The verb would be "peler". Hope that helps if there's a question asked about it.

7. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Cool. Thanks for the post. FWIW, I do onions the way your French chef does it.

8. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Cool. Thanks for the post. FWIW, I do onions the way your French chef does it.

Savage.

9. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Savage.

Sorry. [​IMG]

I'm entirely self-taught. I'm prepared to try the Manton Knife-skills technique, but I like my fingers, so I'll stay standoff-ish, thank you.

10. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

Wonderful read, looking forward for days 2, 3, ...., 21. Do classes take place during weekend? Can I julienne by using mandoline?

11. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

The French word is "peel".

Somebody said that taking off the rind and pith would translate as 'to peel' in French. Well, it is not accurate. The verb would be "peler". Hope that helps if there's a question asked about it.

Apparently, the word I want is epulcher. It was in my binder after all. I have written it on my 3"x5" card for the week.

It seems that Manton and I will have to meet and have an Iron Chef StyleForvm.
    You would kick my ass.
    Sounds like fun. Thanks for the informative post.

Is this part of your strategy to block out the inauguration?

You are not far wrong.
    Manton, you need a full time job.
    Maybe if I graduate from this, I can get one!
    How about some pics?
    I thought of that. Maybe next time.

I'm entirely self-taught. I'm prepared to try the Manton Knife-skills technique, but I like my fingers, so I'll stay standoff-ish, thank you.
    Either method of cutting an onion poses the same danger to the digits. What I am having a problem with is keeping the flat of the knife in contact with my fingers at all times, and using my fingers, rather than my eyes, to guide the knife.

I re-dressed my wound this morning, and it is less bad than I thought.

Wonderful read, looking forward for days 2, 3, ...., 21. Do classes take place during weekend?
    They offer classes either Tues-Thurs evenings, or all day Sat. Tues + Thurs = 1 Sat, so evening classes take half as many weeks (same number of total hours).

Yes, you can cut the tranches (planks) this way, but then you have to cut the sticks by hand. Cutting the planks is the hardest part, so this would be a real relief. Chef said he would teach us the madoline way, but first he wanted us to learn the hard way.

12. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

Does the knife kit come with a Slap Chop? Perfect for peeling onions.

[​IMG]

13. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

BTW, I went to the Sur La Table on Crosby after class and bought some blade guards. I am taking my Shuns to the next class (and thereafter), damnit, and that's that. I don't care if I get called names. They are better and more comfortable. I am half convinced that I would not have cut myself had I been using one of my own knives.

14. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

Does the knife kit come with a Slap Chop? Perfect for peeling onions.

[​IMG]

Stop Cruiserfying SF!

15. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

BTW, I went to the Sur La Table on Crosby after class and bought some blade guards. I am taking my Shuns to the next class (and thereafter), damnit, and that's that. I don't care if I get called names. They are better and more comfortable. I am half convinced that I would not have cut myself had I been using one of my own knives.

That's a good idea. You have enough things on your plate to learn, so why have to relearn the kinesthetics of new knives.