1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What manner of Asics are these?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Kent Wang, May 19, 2005.

1. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG] I found this pic at Zappos.com under the Onitsuka Tiger Asics section. I'm intrigued by the red and blue pairs at the bottom, with something like the Japanese flag pattern on them. Is this line discontinued or something? Do they have a name so I can search around for them? I'm not particularly fond of either depicted model, but I think the design may look good in other color schemes. Damn, I can't stop buying shoes.

2. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

wow, those navy blue Jap flag trainers might be the coolest shoes i've seen in a while.

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

I agree. They look .. really sweet.

4. Kent Wang

I emailed Zappos.com about this. I think if I just buy 2 or 3 more pairs of sneakers I'll be set... for the next year or so.

5. Kent Wang

A reply in less than 3 hours. Now that's service.

I checked on eBay and Google and it looks like no one is selling them. My guess is that they didn't sell too well when they were available.

Damn. If anybody finds a pair, I'll buy them in a heartbeat.

6. sbbbjm

sbbbjm Senior member

i believe they are called the Japon or Napon something like that

7. sbbbjm

sbbbjm Senior member

8. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

9. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

sonuva....i'd be all over those if they were my size.

10. gospastic

gospastic New Member

they sell the red version at a store around here. if interested let me know

11. j

j Senior member Admin

I never saw those in Tokyo, even at the Onitsuka Tiger store. And believe me, I saw probably thousands of pairs of Asics. Those are very cool though.

12. Kent Wang

An Onitsuka Tiger store? Did they have any patterns other than the standard three-stripe Asics style? Any really fabulous colors? I've always wondered just how 'Japanese' the Onitsuka brand was.

13. j

j Senior member Admin

I really just glanced around in there, but for the most part it was all the variations and colorways of the Tigers I've seen elsewhere. Canvas, nylon or whatever, some with the chunkier soles, etc. Not much more than some of the other places. I am sort of kicking myself for not picking up at least one pair over there, considering how hard it is to find them where I live.

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

(Kent Wang @ June 04 2005,03:06) An Onitsuka Tiger store? Did they have any patterns other than the standard three-stripe Asics style? Any really fabulous colors? I've always wondered just how 'Japanese' the Onitsuka brand was.
    I really just glanced around in there, but for the most part it was all the variations and colorways of the Tigers I've seen elsewhere. Canvas, nylon or whatever, some with the chunkier soles, etc. Not much more than some of the other places. I am sort of kicking myself for not picking up at least one pair over there, considering how hard it is to find them where I live.
    Go to zappos.com. They have most of the current American released Asics models and colorways. If there is anything in particular you need, I can take a look around here (Asics, along with Puma and Adidas, as pretty much the standard around here.)

15. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

Anybody seen these "limited edition" Mexico 66 "phoenix"? [​IMG]

16. LA Guy

Yes. Interesting, although I personally like the similar "Tai Chi" Asic more. Are you looking for a pair? They go for about $150 around here.

17. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

(T4phage @ June 06 2005,09:25) Anybody seen these "limited edition" Mexico 66 "phoenix"? [​IMG]
    Yes. Â Interesting, although I personally like the similar "Tai Chi" Asic more. Â Are you looking for a pair? Â They go for about $150 around here.
    Thanks LA Guy, I was planning to check both the Tai Chi and the Mexico 66 Phoenix's this weekend... Here they are about Euro 120

18. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

Just so you guys know what LA Guy and I are talking about, Onitsuka Tiger Tai Chi "Phoenix" Limited edition: [​IMG]

19. lupin23rd

lupin23rd Well-Known Member

Is there an up-to-date list of the styles and such that are out these days?

The official site and zappos don't really seem to show a lot of what I'm seeing in the stores (eg. my canvas beige/brown design).

I also didn't see anything Tai Chi on either of these sites (or maybe I'm looking in the wrong places).

Are Tai-chi's still available and how do they compare to the Mexico 66's?

Is there an official list of all the designs? There seems to be quite a lot of different ones depending on where you go, I'd like to see a definitive list to decide which ones I like best.

On a side note I saw someone wearing a pair of Tigers for the first time today, a Japanese girl wearing the white w/green stripe model (you can see it on the Japanese site).

m

20. LA Guy

I have that pair - Mexico 66's right? A spur of the moment $25 buy from Urban Outfitters (which I generally hate, but sometimes they have sneakers on sale).

I don't know if all the limited edition Phoenix are on any official site, but I can tell you where you can get them if you need.