• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What MANLY stuff did you do today?

Kookz

Reaction score

Quoting the original.
You're a pretty big dude Kookz. Would like to see a Nil vs Kookz match.
Will be playing poker and then moving the last of my **** to my new place. Hopefully have time to sand down the remaining wood to be used for my furniture building projects.

I've lost a bit of size since that pic, the last year I've really slacked off. Would like to see a Nil + Kookz + w/a vs. NYC women some time though.

I told my boss today that the damage to our reputation in the client's mind over a few failures this week came predominantly from the email that he sent, not from the actions of myself and my crew.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've lost a bit of size since that pic, the last year I've really slacked off. Would like to see a Nil + Kookz + w/a vs. NYC women some time though.
I told my boss today that the damage to our reputation in the client's mind over a few failures this week came predominantly from the email that he sent, not from the actions of myself and my crew.

These are all manly things. Hanging out in NYC would be awesome. Nil needs to get his ass out of middle America.

Build first sand later.

The boards are pretty rough after putting them through the planer. Besides, most of the boards are going to be completely exposed, so they'd have to be sanded anyways. Would prefer to do it individually than having to deal with it all put together.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

(...)
The boards are pretty rough after putting them through the planer. Besides, most of the boards are going to be completely exposed, so they'd have to be sanded anyways. Would prefer to do it individually than having to deal with it all put together.

I usually go with hand plane / scraper before cutting the joinery - partly because I prefer them, partly because I think they're more efficient, and partly because I'd read somewhere that sanding leaves a bit of grit in the wood (and dulls your tools) if you're not careful about cleaning it out. Besides, there's always that post-assembly smoothing phase - that's when I sand.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I usually go with hand plane / scraper before cutting the joinery - partly because I prefer them, partly because I think they're more efficient, and partly because I'd read somewhere that sanding leaves a bit of grit in the wood (and dulls your tools) if you're not careful about cleaning it out. Besides, there's always that post-assembly smoothing phase - that's when I sand.

If I were really woodworking, with my own tools and had an easily accessible shop (garage) I'd totally go this route. However I rarely have time to get over to where I'm doing my project (25 minute walk each way) and have limited resources there as it's not a woodworking shop but rather a more industrial place to slap things together.

I ran through the planer and let the wood sit for a bit as it gathered some moisture from the air, as it was in a crazy dry environment before. Just taking 80 grit and my random orbit and running a few passes over the surfaces and use shopvac and then tack cloth to get most of the sanding grit out. Will drill holes for the pipes to slide through for my wall unit shelving project. Still not exactly sure how I'm designing my bed frame.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If I were really woodworking, with my own tools and had an easily accessible shop (garage) I'd totally go this route. However I rarely have time to get over to where I'm doing my project (25 minute walk each way) and have limited resources there as it's not a woodworking shop but rather a more industrial place to slap things together.
I ran through the planer and let the wood sit for a bit as it gathered some moisture from the air, as it was in a crazy dry environment before. Just taking 80 grit and my random orbit and running a few passes over the surfaces and use shopvac and then tack cloth to get most of the sanding grit out. Will drill holes for the pipes to slide through for my wall unit shelving project. Still not exactly sure how I'm designing my bed frame.

Is it a planer or a thicknesser? A planer should leave most timber quite smooth, just set the final pass to shave off 1/2 to 1/4 or a bee's dick you shouldn't need any sanding until final finishing.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stared down a guy that was a lot bigger than me over a parking space.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is it a planer or a thicknesser? A planer should leave most timber quite smooth, just set the final pass to shave off 1/2 to 1/4 or a bee's dick you shouldn't need any sanding until final finishing.

It wasn't too bad actually, but I guess the slight roughness was pissing me off. Again, this isn't a traditional piece of furniture, so I'm finishing it before assembly. I'll post pictures after it's completed, will make more sense then.

Last edited:

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Man, I miss having the time to make things.

I found some pictures of a hope chest I'd built for my wife's cousin's daughter - this was maybe 10 years ago. Her dad sketched it out on a sheet of paper, and we fleshed out the rough shape in the garage. I ended up doing 98% of the work and puzzling out all of the construction issues.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It wasn't too bad actually, but I guess the slight roughness was pissing me off. Again, this isn't a traditional piece of furniture, so I'm finishing it before assembly. I'll post pictures after it's completed, will make more sense then.

Cools

Hannerhan

Reaction score
Tonight I managed to fit a 120 lb log into my fireplace and am now gleefully watching it burn.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tonight I managed to fit a 120 lb log into my fireplace and am now gleefully watching it burn.

120 lbs!!! that's not a log! that sounds like the cross section of an entire tree... and it's actually burning? nice :D

Reaction score
Today, at 6am I ran about 5kms around the park. Then I cooled down, had a shower and went off to work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads