What MANLY stuff did you do today?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by sonick, Dec 12, 2008.

1. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

More car stuff:
    Adjusted the valves, replaced valve cover gasket, cleaned/degreased valve cover, replaced sparkplugs, replaced ignition wires, replaced hood and trunk emblems.

2. whoismike

whoismike New Member

3. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

I recorded Shakespeare in Love.

4. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

where do you guys learn how to do car stuff. i want to learn how to take care of simple stuff myself and keep one well running

5. matt22616

matt22616 Senior member

where do you guys learn how to do car stuff. i want to learn how to take care of simple stuff myself and keep one well running

The internet, Chilton's manuals, and innate critical thinking skills.

6. ysc

ysc Senior member

Built a flat packed cabinet, cooked a curry and hosted a dinner party despite a raging hangover.

7. dcg

dcg Senior member

Got out the winter wheels. They looked crappy: [​IMG] So, sanded and prepped: [​IMG] Primered: [​IMG] Painted (Wasn't quite finished at this point, but was getting dark): [​IMG] They'll go on this, hopefully next weekend: [​IMG]

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

9. dcg

dcg Senior member

^Yup, some kind designed for this sort of thing. Not perfect, but good enough for winter wheels. Actually came out looking pretty nice.

10. matt22616

matt22616 Senior member

Wurth spray paint? I've done that w/ several sets of beater rims. If you really gauge the hell out of one you can fill it w/ bondo, sand, and then paint.

I wish I still had time to do shit like this.

11. il ciclista

il ciclista Senior member

my grandfather owned a VW performance shop plus my friends have a general import performance shop, so just kicking around long enough you're bound to learn something.

12. ms244

ms244 Senior member

Alternatively, if you want to learn. Buy the repair manual, a basic set of tools, and start tackling little jobs.

Oil and filter change, etc for starters. Try to fix little things at home, go to the pick an pull and dig around the cars there, pretty soon you'll be looking for stuff to do.

After a while you'll get a feeling for how things are put together and how they work. Cars, planes, machine tools, etc are built out of pretty similar things in similar way on similar tools. If you can figure out one, then you could probably figure out the rest.

13. il ciclista

il ciclista Senior member

. Cars, planes, machine tools, etc are built out of pretty similar things in similar way on similar tools. If you can figure out one, then you could probably figure out the rest.

not quite sure what you mean by this but planes and cars are pretty different in alot of ways. If you're saying a car mechanic could easily be an aircraft mechanic i'd only slightly agree.

14. dcg

dcg Senior member

Wurth spray paint? I've done that w/ several sets of beater rims. If you really gauge the hell out of one you can fill it w/ bondo, sand, and then paint.

I wish I still had time to do shit like this.

Yeah, nice tutorial on DIY curb rash repair:

http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/w...uff-repair.htm

Probably should have used Wurth, but it was somewhat spur of the moment so I got some Rust-oleum wheel paint at Autozone.

Nozzle got gummed up a few times so there are a few spots where the paint ran a bit. Trying to decide if I feel like sanding and doing another coat next weekend. It's nothing that's really noticeable at a distance of >5 feet.

Also trying to decide if I want to clear coat....I like the look right now; not sure if they'd get too shiny.

15. ratboycom

ratboycom Senior member

Started brewing a batch of Christmas beer with my buddies.