• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What makes the shoulder area indent?

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I've an unusual looking body compared to many of yours b/c your suits typically look phenomenal, such as Spoo and his attire.

I'm 5'10 160 and I workout on a regular basis. My tailor said my chest is a 41 but I should get a 42. However, 9 times out of 10, whenever I put on a OTR 42R suit, the shoulder area indents in.

Is there a way to remedy this? Does this mean I've buy a 44R?

I asked him this and he said 1. the "dent" are noticeable but aren't that bad (I still dont like the look) and 2. I can't buy a 44R because then the shoulders are too wide and the suit will look funny.

Also, are high armholes the reason for this?

Have any of you encountered this problem?

Cheers

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where do the indents occur? On the top or on the side? They can be called divots if they're on the side. The shoulder padding should ideally not jut out beyond the shoulder.

Saltricks

Reaction score
1. armscyes not cut for your particular posture/ arms. Usually dimpling occurs if the armscyes are more forward slanted
2. tightness in the chest/back can sometimes cause the shoulder to dimple
3. the shoulder is too big

Those are 3 reasons I remember off the top of my head

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I apologize. They're divots on the side of the shoulder.

So, you're saying divots occur when the jacket is too large?

The divot between the pad and my tricep is quite . . . tacky. I don't know what to do about this. Not workout my shoulder area? Ha!

Cheers

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
it's not that the whole jacket is too big per se, just that the shoulders are probably a bit too wide. the rest of the jacket may fit fine.

as long as we're talking about it, what causes indents along the TOP of the shoulderline?

otheme

Reaction score
I have exactly the same problem. My right tricep is larger than the left one, and I often have horizontal dent on my right shoulder (just outside the triceps). In my case, I know it's because the fabric covering that portion of the shoulder is stretched between front and back. That'll require the top of the right armscye to be slightly roomier and the right sleeve head slightly fatter.

In your case, you need to first find out whether the fabric on the dent is stretched. If it's stretched, then it might be the same problem (since you work out regularly, I suspect it's the same issue).

Most of the off-the-shelf suits are cut based on the body shape of 80-90% of the population. Based on your numbers, I am guessing that you are very muscular and have low body fat. You're probably in the top 5%, which put you out of the reach of most off-shelf suit makers. One thing you might explore is to find a good alteration seamstress, and get a jacket that fits you around the shoulder, and get everything else altered to fit you. Pretty much everything on a suit can be altered, except for the shoulder, collar, and size of the armhole (to some degree).

otheme

Reaction score
indents or humps on TOP of the shoulder is in my opinion the most difficult problem to solve, because there are so many variables and alteration requires consideration of the collor and back panels. The root of the problem is that everyone's shoulder is different and has several parameters. Should width is only one basic number. There are should thickness, slope, contour (whether the shoulder ends are pointing toward front or back, i.e., whether you slouch or stand straight or pull back), where you bones are relative to your muscle, etc. Now, imagine someone has to cut two pieces of flat paper and sew them together to re-create that 3-D model. Technically this can be easily done with a computer (with expensive 3-D scanning of the body). But if it's done by hand, that's all experience and art.

That's why the pattern cutter at each tailor shop is their mostly guarded trade secret. And that's also why I believe most tailors would NEVER allow the customer to meet face to face with their cutter.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Different brands and different cuts within a brand will offer different shoulder widths and shoulder constructions with the same chest dimensions. Once you figure out the cut/proportions you need the easier it will be to find future suits that fit well.

I've had my tailor do a few things. I wear a 40 jacket, but only 18" shoulders. Most 40 jackets come with 18.5 or even 19" shoulders. Some suits, though, work fine. Others I've had the tailor take in the center back of the jacket, removing the collar and recutting the collar on one jacket. That one had especially soft shoulder construction and I didn't want the tailor messing with the shoulders. On another two I had the tailor recut the shoulders to narrow them. It worked well on one jacket, but on another it threw the way the jacket hangs off. It just doesn't seem right when buttoned. But the shoulders fit and so does the chest.

After a few of these experiments, I've taken to finding jackets with the measurments I need. 41"x18." If I find that I'm satisfied and I can buy without trying on.

saiyar1

Reaction score
I have the same problem. In my opinion, it usually has to do with the fact that suits have padded shoulders to create a structured look that most normal guys need. Since you work out, your shoulders already create a strong structured presence, which means your natural shoulder may not coincide with the angle and overall shape the padding is trying to create.

Suits with nearly no padding (Polo Ralph Lauren consistently makes nearly no padding) fix this, as they allow your strong shoulders to define the structure of the jacket. Focus on no padding in shoulders OR keep trying on brands until the padding "jives" with your shoulders.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's funny you mention RL suits
because those always fit me the best!

I spoke to my regular tailor yesterday about taking the pads out of sc's to eliminate the divot. He said this was incorrect and there isn't a way to fix a divot from a suit. Keep in mind, I go to him for
minor things and go to my "high end" tailor for my nicer items.

So, you really think taking out the pads or the majority is best? I always thought so bc of the "soft shoulder" look.

Thoughts?

Cheers

saiyar1

Reaction score
I'm in the process of updating my suits and Polo fits perfect and high enough quality for me.

I don't know if it's possible to just remove padding. Maybe others can speak on that. BUT, I imagine you would have to keep in mind that the larger the pads, the more loose cloth in the shoulder area once the padding is removed.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads