1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

what makes Seven for all mankind and Hudson jeans so expensive?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Brocktherock, Jul 6, 2011.

1. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

Honestly you can get a pair of 7's, Hudsons, etc for $79 at any Nordstrom's Rack, Off 5th or Last Call location. At that price point I generally don't give much thought to anything other than fit. The fact that they are made in the US lets me sleep better at night (I guess) but for around 80 bucks you're not making an earth shattering purchase. I'm pretty sure the Chinese-made likes of Gap and Abercrombie sell jeans at that price, so I feel like it's a good deal.

In terms of quality I have never owned a pair of jeans that I have sworn by and I have run the gamut from "trendy" jeans like 7's and Hudsons, to "fashion" brands like J Brand and APC, to "heritage" brands like Levis and Wrangler. The bottom line is there are a very small percentage of people that need their jeans to last forever (though generally they will whether you like it or not). Trends, tastes, washes, fits and opinion towards jeans seem to change daily.

I say go for a fit that you like in jeans that are made in respectable mills. Sourcing information is generally readily available from legitimate brands in the US as everyone seems to be on the "Made in the USA" kick.

2. DrMoBueno

DrMoBueno Well-Known Member

951 is a known troll and/or retard; feel free to ignore him.

Yes.

3. whodini

whodini Senior member

So "racist" leather patches created by the very same "victims" themselves aside...

Honestly you can get a pair of 7's, Hudsons, etc for $79 at any Nordstrom's Rack, Off 5th or Last Call location. At that price point I generally don't give much thought to anything other than fit. The fact that they are made in the US lets me sleep better at night (I guess) but for around 80 bucks you're not making an earth shattering purchase. I'm pretty sure the Chinese-made likes of Gap and Abercrombie sell jeans at that price, so I feel like it's a good deal.

Although you'd have to look around on ebay or wait for sales, it's not impossible to find the kind of jeans we've been recommending for under $100 USD. If I can be honest, your concept of what a "good deal" is might be a bit off when you're comparing the pair of jeans you purchased on sale which has a retail price already inflated due to its name alone along with the expense of washing/distressing to pairs of jeans that retail for about the same price (or less). I'm not sure I understand how manure must be "good" simply because I bought it for less than for what dung retails.

And Gap actually makes some "ok" jeans for the price, especially if you're used to those other brands.

In terms of quality I have never owned a pair of jeans that I have sworn by and I have run the gamut from "trendy" jeans like 7's and Hudsons, to "fashion" brands like J Brand and APC, to "heritage" brands like Levis and Wrangler. The bottom line is there are a very small percentage of people that need their jeans to last forever (though generally they will whether you like it or not). Trends, tastes, washes, fits and opinion towards jeans seem to change daily.

I have a couple of problems with this statement:

-J Brand isn't a "fashion" brand that would or should ever be next to a brand like APC.
    -When you mention Levi's and Wrangler, you say that as if there isn't a very marked difference between their JC Penney's lines and their LVC/Bluebell high-end lines that I've mentioned before.
    -Ever-changing trends, washes, fits, etc. is exactly why we recommend the jeans we do: they're timeless. We haven't suggested anything other than a raw (or dark wash) straight fit.

4. m03

m03 Member

Can we restrict our criticisms to the realm of reality please? I've never seen 7FAM jeans with a price tag over $295. I guarantee they've never sold jeans for more than 400, and AFAIK none even over 300, whereas Rock & Republic and True Religion price jeans up to the low 400s.

And I own about 50 pairs of jeans ranging from $100-$1,200.

[​IMG]

Reading comprehension is key:

I have two or three pairs of 7FAM because they're the most comfortable jeans I own to this date. And I own about 50 pairs of jeans ranging from $100-$1,200.

5. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

Although you'd have to look around on ebay or wait for sales, it's not impossible to find the kind of jeans we've been recommending for under $100 USD. If I can be honest, your concept of what a "good deal" is might be a bit off when you're comparing the pair of jeans you purchased on sale which has a retail price already inflated due to its name alone along with the expense of washing/distressing to pairs of jeans that retail for about the same price (or less). I'm not sure I understand how manure must be "good" simply because I bought it for less than for what dung retails.

-J Brand isn't a "fashion" brand that would or should ever be next to a brand like APC.
    -When you mention Levi's and Wrangler, you say that as if there isn't a very marked difference between their JC Penney's lines and their LVC/Bluebell high-end lines that I've mentioned before.
    -Ever-changing trends, washes, fits, etc. is exactly why we recommend the jeans we do: they're timeless. We haven't suggested anything other than a raw (or dark wash) straight fit.

Probably all very good points, especially the retail argument. I haven't bought a pair of 7's or the like since college (granted only a few years ago) when I knew nothing of quality, sourcing of materials, etc. That being said I still would consider myself FAR from a denimhead or even passionate about jeans, so I apologize for my ignorance. I was merely giving my $0.02 on the subject.

I have a pair of Baldwins and a pair of A.P.C.s (both dark and straight) that are the only jeans I wear these days. Admittedly I bought these somewhat based on hype. However, my research showed that they both were good jeans and they fit me well.

As someone who wears chinos and dress pants far more often than jeans I think my statements about jeans are more catered to the MC crowd. It seems a lot of dudes not on SW&D aren't keen on jeans. That's why I spoke to changing opinions towards jeans.

Feel free to enlighten a grasshopper on superior jeans at the $150-$200 price point if I am truly that misguided. [​IMG]

6. whodini

whodini Senior member

Feel free to enlighten a grasshopper on superior jeans at the $150-$200 price point if I am truly that misguided. [​IMG]
    You're heading in the right direction if you've gone with APC and Baldwin.

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=1209

7. 951socal

951socal Senior member

Wait, aren't you that guy from the leather jacket thread? Good lord how did you get off my ignore list?

Nudies / APCs are perhaps the most "sought after" if by "sought after" you mean most widely purchased.

what else would it mean? market determines the demand. open a fucking dictionary.

where did i say that? you're now just pulling statements out of no where then responding to them.

i didn't say this either, you sound like avery young and angered teenager. that can't assume he's wrong. you show little to no respect in any section of the forum, so i'll return none to you.

i didn't ask for information about dior denim, nor is it even relevant, it was an aside.

your reading comprehension is at a level that needs to be improved, you should take some time out of your day and read literary works that are written in a higher manner than the posts in SW&D that look like:

Yo dAwg dEm DOirz been SteeZin

you also need to learn how to respect other members on a forum, insults do not help exchange ideas, and adversely affect the manner in which your opinion is received.

8. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

9. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

951 is speaking a borderline-foreign language.

10. Jangofett

Jangofett Senior member

Er, I think its called American. Haha!

11. 951socal

951socal Senior member

i'll try to keep my posts down to single syllable words, at or around the 8th grade reading level, when im talking about "sick fades" for you.

12. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

i'll try to keep my posts down to single syllable words, at or around the 8th grade reading level, when im talking about "sick fades" for you.

Dude, it's your grammar! It's remarkably off-kilter. And I don't mean that as a compliment. Go troll under a bridge.

PS: This thread is my favorite at the mo [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. trippr

trippr Well-Known Member

Er, I think its called American. Haha!

English?

14. 951socal

951socal Senior member

Dude, it's your grammar! It's remarkably off-kilter. And I don't mean that as a compliment. Go troll under a bridge.

PS: This thread is my favorite at the mo [​IMG] [​IMG]

>look up every word above 6 letters
    >get mad
    >its your grammar!

15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Afaik its an american brand using japanese denim japanese production and japanese imagery as a marketing gimmick but I really don't botherwith researching crap I don't want to wear

Maybe you should STFU about things you don't know about, especially since you purport to not care as well.

Eh? It's a patch on a pair of jeans. If people are going to not take you seriously at work because of this, it's going to be because you have a lot of other issues, and this is just the thing that they latch onto. In other words, it's you, not the jeans.

16. Jangofett

Jangofett Senior member

English?

No. Ame-ri-can.[​IMG]

17. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

Dude, it's your grammar! It's remarkably off-kilter. And I don't mean that as a compliment. Go troll under a bridge.\\
    Actually, reedobandito is entirely right. The post of yours to which he was responding sounds like the rushed work of an enraged ESL student attempting to sound lofty. For instance, "market determines the demand [...] you're now just pulling statements out of no where then responding to them [...] i didn't say this either, you sound like avery young and angered teenager. that can't assume he's wrong. you show little to no respect in any section of the forum, so i'll return none to you," [etc.] is the very opposite of eloquence and articulate correctness.
    It's a patch on a pair of jeans. If people are going to not take you seriously at work because of this, it's going to be because you have a lot of other issues, and this is just the thing that they latch onto. In other words, it's you, not the jeans.
    Can't really argue with that. When it's 8 enormous macro shots in a row on a forum page it looks like a big deal but in reality people don't notice clothing details that much. I've never heard of anyone noticing a patch on a pair of jeans who wasn't an avowed clothing enthusiast (and most of them would know what Samurai Jeans are if they're looking at jeans waistbands to begin with).

18. whodini

whodini Senior member

I wish I could post the ideas Get Smart and I had for our leather patches without being labeled as both horribly graphic and incredibly racist.