1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

what makes Seven for all mankind and Hudson jeans so expensive?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Brocktherock, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Kamapuaa

Kamapuaa Well-Known Member

Are you taking fashion notes from stevedores and slaughterhouse-workers on what jeans they're wearing?

2. div25sec9

div25sec9 Senior member

I own a pair of 7's and have to say they are my favorite pair of jeans. The cut and the cloth are the big seller to me; they are fashionable, but not trendy and the denim is softer and less stiff than many denims. They do have a large markup, but so does most of the labels that are discussed on this forum. They are one of my most worn pair of jeans, so the price to use ratio is not that high. If they were a pair that I only wore a few times due to them being trendy or because of not a great feel, then I would say they were overpriced; but I would buy another pair for sure.

3. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Are you taking fashion notes from stevedores and slaughterhouse-workers on what jeans they're wearing?
    I'm pretty sure they're wearing cheap, baggy and tough rather than expensive, overly shrunken and thin. And no, I'm not looking to them for style inspiration. Sounds like you didn't quite comprehend my post. While Lee makes some jeans that fit and look nice, they also makes the baggy carpenter jeans or whatever else worn by construction workers looking for something that can be beaten up. D&G and other fashion brands don't make those sort of work clothes. They make fashiony clothes, and charge more for them since the fashiony set is willing to pay more than the practical use set, even though by many measures (like durability), the D&G stuff is far inferior. But since D&G markets to the fashiony set, they can charge those prices. If Lee tried that, they would be perceived as concerned more about looks than durability and whatnot, and would lose customers among the working set. Basically, D&G's marketing increases the product's value among the fashony demographic, whereas that kind of marketing would decrease the product's value to a lot of Lee's clientèle. Lee could reposition the brand in a more fashiony context, much like Levis has done, banking on its working heritage while moving away from the working buyers, but that would be a risk, and the company is successful enough where it is.
    I own a pair of 7's and have to say they are my favorite pair of jeans. The cut and the cloth are the big seller to me; they are fashionable, but not trendy and the denim is softer and less stiff than many denims. They do have a large markup, but so does most of the labels that are discussed on this forum. They are one of my most worn pair of jeans, so the price to use ratio is not that high. If they were a pair that I only wore a few times due to them being trendy or because of not a great feel, then I would say they were overpriced; but I would buy another pair for sure.
    MC shuns high markups wherever possible. About the most hated brand on here is Hugo Boss for just that reason- they charge 4x what a lot of others do for a fused suit. A lot of the stuff with big pricetags on this forum have them because there are differences in construction that take a whole lot more skill and time to produce. That $2000 jacket might cost several hundred dollars to produce, with the skilled labor and high quality materials required. SW&D is much more markup friendly. They buy much more into the marketing crap spewn to justify the high markups on stuff. Those top end jeans discussed by SW&D might cost $15 to make and $300 to buy, and that's in the US. Jeans made in china nearly all cost a couple of bucks to make and a couple of bucks to ship. The brand's cost by the time those hit the us is less than $5. Then they'll turn right around and charge you $70 for 'em. Or $20, depending on where that brand is positioning itself. Or $12 if you're walmart.

4. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

D&G, on the other hand, is a fashion brand exclusively, and marketed and priced as such. Their jeans are made to look fashiony. That may mean thinner, already worn through fabrics (in terms of pre distressing, they're a horrible offender).
    What I find really funny about this is that the holy grail of SW&D is "worked hard and put away wet." "Fashion" jeans very often try to counterfeit authenticity, for want of a better way to put it. So a lot of people $300 buy jeans that have artificial wear marks and fake holes . . . well the holes are real, I suppose, but you know what I mean . . . but completely disdain the idea of buying real jeans that someone might actually work in. True, there are issues of cut and fit but a lot of makers, even Wrangler, make a variety of cuts. Anyway, I think it is hilarious when people spend $300 to buy wimpy jeans that already have holes and fade marks. If I could figure out how to market them, I've got a big enough stack of trashed denim to finance a world cruise.

5. NoNothingGuy

NoNothingGuy Senior member

The hilarious thing is that Lee, Wrangler and 7FMK are all made by the same company in Greensboro, NC.

VF Corporation. They buy up "trendy" companies and mass produce the product. It is kind of sad when you find out some of the brands they have. Like seeing the man behind the curtain.

6. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

The hilarious thing is that Lee, Wrangler and 7FMK are all made by the same company in Greensboro, NC.

VF Corporation. They buy up "trendy" companies and mass produce the product. It is kind of sad when you find out some of the brands they have. Like seeing the man behind the curtain.

Haha that is sort of like how Luxottica makes every pair of glasses and sunglasses ever for luxury brands as well as big sunglasses brands (Ray Ban, Oakley etc)

7. RSS

RSS Senior member

...add to your conclusions, greed.
    My very first thought as well.

8. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

It's not related to men's fashion. You'd probably get a better answer in the denim & streetwear group.

[​IMG]

No - he will get the same answer over there as he does here. It's over-priced garbage made to the same standards as Wrangler jeans sold at Kohls. They're just more gaudy, have a $$$-associated label sewn to them and most look like they were fed through a wood-chipper.

9. Fraiche

Fraiche Senior member

For those who don't know, Nordstrom Rack has an endless supply of 7 for All Mankind jeans at $70-80.

10. RSS

RSS Senior member

For those who don't know, Nordstrom Rack has an endless supply of 7 for All Mankind jeans at $70-80.
    And still they are NOT worth the price.

11. DrMoBueno

DrMoBueno Well-Known Member

Virtually all jeans are overpriced.

But, hahahah, jeans with swarovski crystals or some crazy shit sewn into them, that I consider a tax on being dumb.

12. JJGooden

JJGooden Senior member

I can assure you that the reason that 7 is expensive is *not* the fabric. I saw their denim at a fabric outlet for about $10 a yard.

13. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

I'm guessing the price is because of all that shit on the back pocket.

14. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Senior member

I wear True Religion, Seven and Rock & Republic.

Things that these brands have over your regulular Lee, Levi's, Hang Ten, Uniqlo:

- Cut
    - Better denim
    - Higher quality stitching. Especially the hem lines
    - Leather decoration
    - Made in USA

First and last items make it more expensive. The other one's are arguable.

15. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Things that these brands have over your regulular Lee, Levi's, Hang Ten, Uniqlo:

- Cut
    - Better denim
    - Leather decoration
    - Made in USA

The quality is not good on the denim material. Non of those brands use selvedge material, to my knowledge. For $200, you'd be better off with some entry level selvedge brand like Levi's Vintage 501 reproductions.

16. TourbillonTurk.

TourbillonTurk. Senior member

How else are those Marketing executives going to be paid for ? Doing such magnificent job on selling people the same denim cheaper brands offer for a fraction of the price at a ten-fold increase is a task that must be awarded!

17. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Senior member

The quality is not good on the denim material. Non of those brands use selvedge material, to my knowledge. For $200, you'd be better off with some entry level selvedge brand like Levi's Vintage 501 reproductions.

Who says I have to like selvedge? I personally don't. For this reason, the premium brand jeans have better quality denim than the regular ones.

I also try to avoid made in china clothes like the plague.

18. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Who says I have to like selvedge? I personally don't. For this reason, the premium brand jeans have better quality denim than the regular ones.
    Wait, what? One pair of jeans not having selvedge means that they're better than jeans not made from selvedge? Not like selvedge actually matters all that much, but that statement makes no sense. Oh, and just because something has a higher price tag does not mean the fabric is actually any better.
    Peeve of mine as well. But credit where credit is due, SW&Ders, as susceptible as they can be to marketing, at least insist on breaking stuff in themselves. As for the wider public, how else are they going to get that cool, authentic look without having to get up off the couch? Because cowboys wore 44x32, right? And a note about VF: I was debating mentioning them, but they're really more of an umbrella corp. As I understand it, the individual brands still maintain at least some autonomy. Suppose I could ask my neighbor, who's about to retire after a few decades working for them...

19. whodini

whodini Senior member

SW&D is much more markup friendly. They buy much more into the marketing crap spewn to justify the high markups on stuff. Those top end jeans discussed by SW&D might cost $15 to make and $300 to buy, and that's in the US. Jeans made in china nearly all cost a couple of bucks to make and a couple of bucks to ship. The brand's cost by the time those hit the us is less than $5. Then they'll turn right around and charge you $70 for 'em. Or $20, depending on where that brand is positioning itself. Or $12 if you're walmart.
    It helps to know what you're talking about when you're making generalizations about a product and the people who buy it.
    That's a bit misleading. They're owned by the same parent company but they're not all made under the same factory roof.
    I can assure you that the reason that 7 is expensive is *not* the fabric. I saw their denim at a fabric outlet for about $10 a yard.
    Even sounds a bit expensive. What can drive up the price for "premium" jeans is the washing.

- Cut
    - Better denim
    - Leather decoration
    - Made in USA

Isn't this a bit of an apples-and-oranges argument? You're comparing jeans that retail from $150+ with jeans that go for $30. If you even the playing field by comparing R&R, et. al with Lee 101 or Levi's LVC then 4/5 of those points are now at least moot if not completely debatable.

20. Kamapuaa

Kamapuaa Well-Known Member

I hate jeans nerds. Just be a good Protestant, go to the department store, and buy something from the second cheapest brand.