• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Makes for a Proper Sport Coat/Blazer (so it doesn't look like 1/2 a suit?)

RatherAnOddball

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm not really in the market for a suit at the moment, and would rather buy some odd trousers and sport coats, then mix for my style. But I'm clueless about how to avoid buying a sport coat that just looks like an orphaned suit jacket. What general advice can you give me?

Additionally, I'm not really sure how to match trousers with sport coats, since I've read that, if you get the two roughly the same color, it will just look like a bizarre quasi-suit. So what, then, should the trouser be? A lighter shade of the same color? Or related mainly to the shirt rather than the jacket?

Thanks again.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RatherAnOddball
Hi!

I'm not really in the market for a suit at the moment, and would rather buy some odd trousers and sport coats, then mix for my style. But I'm clueless about how to avoid buying a sport coat that just looks like an orphaned suit jacket. What general advice can you give me?

Additionally, I'm not really sure how to match trousers with sport coats, since I've read that, if you get the two roughly the same color, it will just look like a bizarre quasi-suit. So what, then, should the trouser be? A lighter shade of the same color? Or related mainly to the shirt rather than the jacket?

Thanks again.

The fabrics is different, more colourful.

The trousers are in contrast to the jacket.

There was a thread about 'slacks' two or three weeks ago. They tried to combine a jacket with trousers. It was with pictures.

Shraka

Reaction score
Complimentary colours! Don't match your pants to your jacket unless it is a suit. If they are a similar colour it just looks like you made a mistake.

If you have a navy blue blazer, wear it with cream to cream-brown, or gray slacks. Gray jacket, wear it with darker gray, brown-gray pants, or navy slacks.
Charcoal gray jacket, wear it with cream or sand coloured slacks.

ZengaGent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Golf_Nerd

There was a thread about 'slacks' two or three weeks ago. They tried to combine a jacket with trousers. It was with pictures.

+ 1 to that.

Fabric should be different, preferrably textured so as NOT to look like an orphaned suit jacket.

Just my humble opinion...

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patch pockets help too.

I like my blazers and casual jackets unlined, less structured and shorter in length than my suitjackets.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

John Ellis

Reaction score
In a word: CONTRAST. Check sportcoat with grey or another contrasting color of pant. Blazer with mid to dark grey flannels, chinos, jeans, red moleskin. I actually think it's pretty obvious when you are wearing a suit jacket as a sportcoat. I've tried it a couple of times and felt it stood out a mile. But maybe that was just my natural angst.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think two things make a lounge coat more formal:

1. Solid worsted cloth with plain buttons (eg horn or corozo) navy or charcoal grey
2. Understated pinstripes - strictly business only

In the case of 1. you may wear matching trousers. Morning trousers and waistcoat are even more formal. With 2. you must wear matching trousers +/- waistcoat.

Things which make a lounge coat casual are:

1. Texture: tweeds, linens and cottons.
2. Colour: lighter colours, and country colours such as brown and green
3. Fancy buttons or plain brown buttons
4. Checks and plaids
5. Fancy pinstripes
6. Contrast stitching

A lounge coat with fancy pinstripes can still be a blazer or a sports coat. As the public at large are so poorly dress educated, you need to have more than one feature to impress upon them that the wearer is at play and not at work.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by John Ellis
I actually think it's pretty obvious when you are wearing a suit jacket as a sportcoat. I've tried it a couple of times and felt it stood out a mile. But maybe that was just my natural angst.

I tried this with travel as I thought I could get by with a suit one day and then for the second day wear a pair of odd pants with the suit jacket. Maybe it was just me knowing that I was wearing a suit coat as an odd jacket, but I didn't feel comfortable. Haven't done it since then.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Golf_Nerd

Well said.

You can make them more casual with patch pockets as well. I like a little more flair when I choose a sportcoat.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RatherAnOddball
Hi! I'm not really in the market for a suit at the moment, and would rather buy some odd trousers and sport coats, then mix for my style. But I'm clueless about how to avoid buying a sport coat that just looks like an orphaned suit jacket. What general advice can you give me? Additionally, I'm not really sure how to match trousers with sport coats, since I've read that, if you get the two roughly the same color, it will just look like a bizarre quasi-suit. So what, then, should the trouser be? A lighter shade of the same color? Or related mainly to the shirt rather than the jacket? Thanks again.
Although there are exceptions, generally you want the trousers similar in tone to medium contrast. Sometimes having a pair of trousers similar in tone and/or color but completely different pattern has some of the propriety of a suit without looking like a suit.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flieger
Patch pockets help too.

+1. I have come around to SF Matt's doctrinaire view that odd jackets should always have patch pockets.

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to hate patch pockets, but now I have practically all my jackets with patch pockets.
On suits I thought it would not look good, but someone on the forum had a beautiful example made by Frank Schattuck (not sure about the spelling of that name), that I really really liked.
Not on a more formal suit though.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flieger
On suits I thought it would not look good, but someone on the forum had a beautiful example made by Frank Schattuck (not sure about the spelling of that name), that I really really liked.

That was aportnoy's fantastic Shattuck.

- B

RatherAnOddball

Reaction score
Thanks a million for all of your great responses! Without belittling the wonderful advice given by everyone else, I just have to say that I'm particularly pleased that I managed to get a Sator-reply in my thread.
inlove.gif
As I've begun reading AskAndy and this forum, he's always had a wealth of great pictures to download and refer to.

Anyway, thanks again! I've a few more questions now -

I had thought that a lounge suit was simply a black suit. Obviously I'm wrong. What differentiates a lounge suit from your average suit? Moreover, what differences are there between lounge suit jackets, sport coats and standard suit jackets in terms of lapels, number and height of buttons and other aspects of tailoring? Being very short, a peak lapel helps, but if it's inconceivable to do that with a sport coat, I suppose I'll forget about it.

About the patch pocket - I'm not sure what one is, so I'm not sure what to look for in the pictures that have been linked. I've also read about "ticket pockets" and "hacking pockets" - how would these fare with a sport coat?

Finally, Sator brought up the subject of waistcoats, which I'm rather fond of. I'm still searching around for more threads on them, so feel free to ignore this request as I may find info and pictures later, but I am eager to see more photos of them being successfully worn in fairly casual ensembles, to give me idea on how to do the same.

Those are the only questions I can come up with at the moment.

Again, thanks very much for all of your replies, they are greatly appreciated!
worship.gif

Bye!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics