• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What makes footwear high-end??

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the required construction and materials needed to classify RTW footwear high-end?
Thanks,

Last edited:

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good aesthetics
Quality leather
Leather insoles
Cork midsole
Goodyear or hand welted
Good QA and customer service
A variety of well defined lasts

These are some of the things I would look at...

*there are other constructions that are high quality too, these are the ones I would just be on the look out for dress shoes

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good aesthetics
Quality leather
Leather insoles
Cork midsole
Goodyear or hand welted
Good QA and customer service
A variety of well defined lasts

These are some of the things I would look at...

*there are other constructions that are high quality too, these are the ones I would just be on the look out for dress shoes

I agree here; however, "good aesthetics" is a bit subjective. Still, you're spot on.

My general idea for what a "high end" shoe is also the overall craftsmanship. Do they really go the extra mile in terms of their construction?

For instance, consider the difference between say an Allen Edmonds (an excellent shoe, but on the introductory end of high-end footwear) vs. John Lobb. You're going to notice things that Lobb does that AE does not, and that is going to distinguish them in that respect.

Nevertheless, I also would say that the difference between ultra high end and introductory high end is less than the difference between introductory high end and throwaway. That is because the basic elements of good shoe construction are definitely met by introductory high end, and the difference is really a matter of refinement rather than features between introductory high end and ultra high end.

I also have a somewhat strange relationship to ultra high end shoes, as I question whether it is worth it to buy a 2000 dollar shoe, when for 5000 I could get completely bespoke. Would I rather two pairs of ultra high RTW or one pair of amazing bespoke shoes? I dare say the latter, whereas I couldn't say that necessarily about 10 pairs of introductory high-end v. bespoke shoes.

The most important question about a shoe to determine whether it's in high quality land is this: Is it something you could see yourself owning for 20 years if you cared for it?

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree here; however, "good aesthetics" is a bit subjective. Still, you're spot on.

My general idea for what a "high end" shoe is also the overall craftsmanship. Do they really go the extra mile in terms of their construction?

For instance, consider the difference between say an Allen Edmonds (an excellent shoe, but on the introductory end of high-end footwear) vs. John Lobb. You're going to notice things that Lobb does that AE does not, and that is going to distinguish them in that respect.

Nevertheless, I also would say that the difference between ultra high end and introductory high end is less than the difference between introductory high end and throwaway. That is because the basic elements of good shoe construction are definitely met by introductory high end, and the difference is really a matter of refinement rather than features between introductory high end and ultra high end.

I also have a somewhat strange relationship to ultra high end shoes, as I question whether it is worth it to buy a 2000 dollar shoe, when for 5000 I could get completely bespoke. Would I rather two pairs of ultra high RTW or one pair of amazing bespoke shoes? I dare say the latter, whereas I couldn't say that necessarily about 10 pairs of introductory high-end v. bespoke shoes.

The most important question about a shoe to determine whether it's in high quality land is this: Is it something you could see yourself owning for 20 years if you cared for it?

Agreed, although I'm much more on the introductory end...currently going back on forth on if a pair of Alden shells are really worth it over calf skin

Last edited:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed, although much more on the introductory end...currently going back on forth on if a pair of Alden shells are really worth it can calf skin

I have a pair of Aldens that I got second hand. They're in amazing condition and are extremely comfortable.

Alden makes some of the finest shell shoes in the world, but that's also as not every other maker does shell.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Quite agree--the box is much more important than the contents.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quite agree--the box is much more important than the contents.
Exactly. I keep my Cole-Haans in Edward Green boxes and presto! High end shoes!

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Exactly. I keep my Cole-Haans in Edward Green boxes and presto! High end shoes!
Hey, you can just wear the boxes...as some on this forum have suggested.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, you can just wear the boxes...as some on this forum have suggested.
I do that, too. But only when it's not raining. Although I suppose I could use those rubber overshoe things. I forget what they're called.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What's the required construction and materials needed to classify RTW footwear high-end?
Thanks,

For a serious answer, I don't think any RTW shoe should be classified as "high end". What does "high" mean? Best? Really really good? Compared to what?

What does "end" mean? That there is nothing that is better?

Given that there is literally no significant difference in the way a bottom tier rtw is constructed versus the way a cachet brand rtw is constructed, all that's left is the materials and there's a limit to the distinctions you can draw between calfskins, for instance...most of it superficial---in the finishing, IOW.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a serious answer, I don't think any RTW shoe should be classified as "high end". What does "high" mean? Best? Really really good? Compared to what?

What does "end" mean? That there is nothing that is better?

Given that there is literally no significant difference in the way a bottom tier rtw is constructed versus the way a cachet brand rtw is constructed, all that's left is the materials and there's a limit to the distinctions you can draw between calfskins, for instance...most of it superficial---in the finishing, IOW.
don't let the EG fanboys see your posts :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads