• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What makes footwear high-end??

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think AM makes an rtw that is not GYW (Aurum?) and which I would admit is pretty high end...although if you compare them to other AM offerings i suspect even Antonio would hesitate to call high end.

Whether it lasts for a long time is neither here nor there--that's not the definition of "high end" in anyone's book. Jelly shoes will last a long time. Rubber wellies will last a long time. Birkenstocks will last a long time.

Nor is price or affordability. If Clarks are the "best in construction and materials that you (sic) can reasonably afford" So what?! I don't feel sorry for you nor do I question your earning power. Or your choice for that matter. Have at it.

But when you start telling me that they are 'high end' I have to question your judgement.

As a practical definition, what is the highest quality for any given person differs in accordance with their understanding of quality. It does no good to insist upon a demonstrable standard which threatens to become nuanced ad absurdum when the very term is itself arbitrary.

Hence, the best definition is shoes with high heels. They are definitively, obviously high on the end - and they make your calves look good.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As a practical definition, what is the highest quality for any given person differs in accordance with their understanding of quality. It does no good to insist upon a demonstrable standard which threatens to become nuanced ad absurdum when the very term is itself arbitrary.

Hence, the best definition is shoes with high heels. They are practically, obviously high on the end - and they make your calves look good.
I got it the first time. But I would point out that something is only "nuanced' when the observer is so ignorant or self-absorbed that they can't differentiate between objective differences in quality--either in materials or workmanship. Which returns us, pinbal-like to one of the central themes of this thread--whether a person can appreciate differences. If a person cannot see and appreciate the objective difference...no nuance about it...for instance, between leatherboard and leather, or cement construction and welted construction, they will never know what quality really is.

No nuance about it.

Last edited:

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got it the first time. But I would point out that something is only "nuance' when the observer is so ignorant or self-absorbed that they can't differentiate between objective differencec in quality--either in materials or workmanship. Which returns us, pinbal-like to one of the central themes of this thread--whether a person can appreciate differences. If a person cannot see and appreciate the objective difference...no nuance about it...for instance, between leatherboard and leather, or cement construction and welted construction, they will never know what quality really is.

No nuance about it.

Joking aside, I agree with you about quality. There are obviously differences in material, fit, and make that are of a higher standard and produce a better-quality shoe.

It is when the term "high-end" is introduced that the subject gets all queer. It means all sorts of different things at once, like the term "well-dressed."

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
it's fair question to ask but how do you have 7.2k posts and don't know what differentiates a high-end shoe?

very hard for me to consider Vass, EG, JL prestige, G&G and AM as not high-end shoes... no reasonable person would ever need any other shoes unless you have very specific feet - but where is the fun in being reasonable.

This thread feels like that math question posted on TikTok, where some teenage girl asked how do we know math is real, and everyone on Twitter made fun of her, but then it turned out to be a deep philosophical question.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread feels like that math question posted on TikTok, where some teenage girl asked how do we know math is real, and everyone on Twitter made fun of her, but then it turned out to be a deep philosophical question.

This is what happens when the classics are no longer taught in schools.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is what happens when the classics are no longer taught in schools.

It's actually a pretty good question! I feel like these are the kinds of questions people ask in small grad seminars, but only after years of being told to memorize and regurgitate stuff.

For example, click to read thread:

Also

Last edited:

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's actually a pretty good question! I feel like these are the kinds of questions people ask in small seminars in grad school, but only after years of being told to memorize and regurgitate stuff.

I mean, it's not a bad question for most, sure. Those with a decent grounding in the classics can answer it, but you're right - it takes time to get to the point where such questions are being asked.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's actually a pretty good question! I feel like these are the kinds of questions people ask in small grad seminars, but only after years of being told to memorize and regurgitate stuff.

For example, click to read thread:

Also

hard for me to follow penrose, sean carroll and brian greene are my favorites..

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: the above videos -

The Greeks did use algebra. Mathematics is basically a recognition of fundamental ratios of operation in the physical and theoretical world. Deciding on math's reality is like deciding the reality of gravity: philosophically amusing, but trivial because demonstrable.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The Greeks did use algebra. Mathematics is basically a recognition of fundamental ratios of operation in the physical and theoretical world. Deciding on math's reality is like deciding the reality of gravity: philosophically amusing, but trivial because demonstrable.

I didn't study math in grad school, but I had friends in the department and we would often hang out. From my conversations with them, my impression is that very high-level math work is often like the "game" described by Carr. It's true that math is also good at describing the real world, which is one of the reasons why that teenager's question isn't stupid, but rather interesting.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think these are incredible interesting questions and especially since we know that gravity is real since newton but can't make sense of it on the quantum level and how to tie it back to the macro level i.e. Einsteins GR.
Sorry forgot that this is styleforum - let me just state that G&G offers far inferior leather quality compared to EG :)

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't study math in grad school, but I had friends in the department and we would often hang out. From my conversations with them, my impression is that very high-level math work is often like the "game" described by Carr. It's true that math is also good at describing the real world, which is one of the reasons why that teenager's question isn't stupid, but rather interesting.

Oh yes, especially once equations and all those high-level extrapolations get involved...it gets fairly bizarre and theoretical. I don't study math either, but have lots of philosophy friends.

Anyway, perhaps there is a mathematical ratio for high-end footwear? We may need a geek to solve this one.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
let me just state that G&G offers far inferior leather quality compared to EG :)

How do you know that? Seriously...no disrespect intended...how do you know that? Are you a shoemaker? Are you a leatherworker? A tanner perhaps?

Or are you just going by what someone else told you or that you read somewhere on SF?

Have you bought into the (demonstrably misleading and even deceptive) Public Relations puffery that all these companies bruit about?

How do you know that?

Are you a fanboy?

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Agreed, although I'm much more on the introductory end...currently going back on forth on if a pair of Alden shells are really worth it over calf skin
It comes down to if you actually like shell. Personally, I prefer calf over shell so I would always answer that question as no.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads