• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What makes fashion fun?

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounded a little more HermesMan than I intended, but in all seriousness, what makes fashion fun to you? I've only "cared" about my sartorial appearance over the past couple years, and really get a kick out of it:

• Admiring looks from the ladies (and to be fair, from some men but let's not delve there)
  • Upward growth in the professional world (dress for sucess!)
  • A little snobbishness is fun
  • Colors, fit, fabric, brands - there are lots of possibilities

etc.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You cant feel good, if you cant look good.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Antonio Centeno

Reaction score
I find it forces me to pay attention to the details in other people - sometimes this isn't always a good thing though
smile.gif

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The activity of charting the trends of rising hem lines and falling necklines in women's fashion on MS Excel and eagerly anticipating S/S2016.

kellgy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
You cant feel good, if you cant look good.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

So true.

I found fashion (I should say it naturally developed) after I lost 120 pounds. Interesting how that works. Don't get me started on what's fun about it. There is just too much.

TintoTerra

Reaction score
One of the not-so-fun parts is that other people look so poorly dressed and grubby. Then again, I'm living in America.

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirGrotius
That sounded a little more HermesMan than I intended, but in all seriousness, what makes fashion fun to you? I've only "cared" about my sartorial appearance over the past couple years, and really get a kick out of it:

• Admiring looks from the ladies (and to be fair, from some men but let's not delve there)
  • Upward growth in the professional world (dress for sucess!)
  • A little snobbishness is fun
  • Colors, fit, fabric, brands - there are lots of possibilities

etc.

Can I say I love this thread?

I've completely agreed with every response so far. I like that OP admits that it's nice to feel a little bit like, "Yeah, we both know who the most sartorially inclined here is," when at a gathering.

Originally Posted by pvrhye
It's a hobby I can take to work.

Yeah, it's the one thing where the rest of the world gets to see your collection [of ties, pocket squares, etc.].

The thing I like about it is it's a hobby that you can actually benefit from in the most basic sense (career, sex, respect). It's not like a coin collection. There's this lovely overlap of getting to have your nerdy cohorts on SF approving your G&G's, and also using them to get laid. It's wonderful, there's nothing like it.

PTWilliams

Reaction score
The guys on this forum are part of the fun too; not to mention the Friday WAYWN competition. Most pursuits are more enjoyable when shared with others.

BarrelMaker

Reaction score
personally i like the history of clothing. especially seeing the evolution of brands that have been around for a long time companies like levis are changing their lines every season while barbour and filson are making garments identical to the ones they made over 100 years ago.

twistoffat

Reaction score
I suppose what makes many things funs is the ability to share the event with others.
Thats why I like this forum and its members for their candid analysis, insights and sometimes scathing humour.
I can´t remember who said it but one fashionista said that "The world is such a serious place that fashion is the armour he puts on in the morning to help him deal with it".

julius12

Reaction score
The fun of collecting items, adding and subtracting from your wardrobe. Searching for missing pieces.

Being known as a stylish guy, and simply looking good and knowing it. I was actually labelled a fashionista (though I think they just meant stylish) even though I never follow trends, and this was back when I was just starting out to becoming style conscious.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Totally getting all sorts of masculine vibe all around.

ktrp

Reaction score
My clothes are a significant part of my personal environment. Having clothes that please me on an aesthetic level is enjoyable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads