• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What makes an $80 Polo shirt worth it?

Waffle

Reaction score
RL polos for $35? I wish they were that cheap over here.. RL pricing is about the same as Dior, Prada, Etro, Marc Jacobs etc over here.. for example a cashmere cardigan for $2000.. note that this is PRL, not RLPL..

Alan B.

Reaction score
Ralph Lifshitz Polos were much better quality years ago when they were made in the US. The fabric was superior and they were beautiful shirts. I can tell the difference now that their stuff is made offshore.

I switched to Jeff Rose polos. I get them on eBay for about $20 used. Great fabric and made in Italy.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Badrabbit
Sounds like you are becoming an Austrian there Alan.

I still remember a thing or two from that von Mises Institute summer class at Auburn all those years ago.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no idea, but I just saved a ton on auto Insurance with Geico.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never paid $80 for a polo shirt. I usually buy them on sale for about $30. The main reason is the fit. RL slim fit, Lacoste, and Brooks slim fit all fit me great. I wouldn't pay full price, but at $30 they're okay in my book.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Badrabbit
It should also be pointed out that RL Polo is available nearly everywhere at the $35 price point at discount stores(see your local Ross, TJ Maxx, Steinmart, etc...) or marked down even below that at the end of season in dept. stores. There is no reason anyone should ever pay retail.

FInding the "custom" fit (the slim one) at these places can be a ***** though.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've been wearing polo shirts off and on through the years, and am bewildered by how much RL and Lacoste polos' prices have gone up compared to say, 5 years ago. Nevertheless, the problem is polo shirts at lower, 'friendlier' prices are just wetrags with plastic buttons, and won't last you a year- and I've tried a lot of them too. Then again, I do not wish to spend on polo shirts at the price these brands suggest, specially since they do offer them at a substantial discount off-season.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tbabes
The silly little Pony on the front, really. That Pony does nothing but scream out "look at me, I am wearing a middle-of-the road, overpriced, made in some 3rd world country garmet, and I think I'm pretty stylish."

YMMV

I was on holidays in Peru Last month, maybe you know Peru produces high quality pima cotton for export and now they have a licensed production facility for Lacoste.

Well, in Peru there is a place called Gamarra that is an emporium of clothing materials and garments...

There I saw Lacoste knockoffs selling for $6, those knockoffs where as good
quality as the one I see in the Lacoste shops here in Switzerland... even the crocodile was nicely done.

So Imagine, if they can produce and sell with a margin a knockoff piquÃ
00a9.png
polo in Peru for $6, imagine the margin Lacoste or RL make, a Lacoste polo here in Switzerland costs 120 CHF ( 100$ )

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
Lacoste is worth the money because of the Mother-of-pearl buttons. It's the only one at that price point that uses them

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Exactly, and same for absolutely any other high brand clothing. There's no difference between Dior and A&F when they're pushing 500$ jeans, because I promise you they couldn't cost more than $25 to make.

It depends on your definition of "make" is. In materials and labor, then yes. But if an article of clothing needs to be marketed by an expensive celebrity, then that is part of the "making" process. Marketing is what makes some clothes more expensive than others. There was a nice NPR short article (for the lack of a better word, what do you call a short radio piece?) about why certain jeans are so expensive.

Just playing devil's advocate.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheFusilliJerry
Lacoste is worth the money because of the Mother-of-pearl buttons. It's the only one at that price point that uses them

Holy necroposting Batman.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Other than the brands nothing really, just someone seeing that you have expensive taste and can afforid nice clothes make it worth it. Sometimes the quality is better but with some of the new styles that are out there now I would disagree.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
FInding the "custom" fit (the slim one) at these places can be a ***** though.

+1 Especially a size small.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Lacoste polos, but for a semi-weird reason. I like the way they age and fray around the edges.

Other polos, I usually just toss when they get too worn, but I never through out my lacoste ones as I actually like them more the more disintegrated they get.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics